Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Beasley1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature

When I run nitro it is always a good idea to check the temp every once in a while during a run. I have a temp gun for this.

Do you guys check the temps on gas and if so what is a good temp to be running? Is this how you know it is tuned well and your mix is right?

Thanks,
Beasley
Old 11-10-2008, 02:14 PM
rcboateric
Banned

Default RE: Temperature

ORIGINAL: Beasley1

When I run nitro it is always a good idea to check the temp every once in a while during a run. I have a temp gun for this.

Do you guys check the temps on gas and if so what is a good temp to be running? Is this how you know it is tuned well and your mix is right?

Thanks,
Beasley
No. I don't, if you run a two water pick up in your cat, you should not worry about the engine temp, the right mix for a mod 260 is 8-10 ounces 2 stroke Synthetic oil per gallon fuel and the plug should show light brown.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:28 PM
showtime808

It wouldnt hurt, but true most guys just read the plugs. There is also a really nice system for accurate on board readings of your engine performance I believe its called eagle tree or it was made by eagle tree.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:35 AM
PEERPSI

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/

I've been thinking of this myself. Ideally with a two stroke the thing to do would be monitor the exhaust gas temperature.

I haven't been able to find any information on what the ideal temperature for a two stroke is. Air craft and race cars monitor these temps to assist in keeping the engine in tune.

The idea is to maintain the highest temperature possible without going to high and causing a lean condition which can damage the engine.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:51 AM
showtime808

yes, thats it a great little system. If I can remember I believe we would get 1000-1200 degress on our air cooled yamaha kt100 karting motors and that was about 300-350 head temps. If r/c boat racing was as tight and close as automobile/karting/motorcycle racing I am sure you would see more guys using it. It was not unusuall to see qualifying times within .5 second in field of 100 entrants
Old 11-11-2008, 04:21 AM
nvs motorsports

1230 degrees at the exhaust port any hotter the piston warps an nipps and grabs the bore its is basically the same with all 2 strokes ideally about 1100 degress is perfect anymore it becomes luck