Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Newbie/Oldie needs HELP? RC10 vs Bandit?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Newbie/Oldie needs HELP? RC10 vs Bandit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:27 PM
icbbci4377

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie/Oldie needs HELP? RC10 vs Bandit?

Here is the story, I am 33yrs old and broke out my old 1984 Team Associated RC10 to show them a "real" RC car. Bought a new "stock motor" and ESC. Hooked them up and it was running again! The steering was only working to about 30%(not sure why) . But it worked.

I also Bought a Traxxas Bandit #2405 while getting the new parts for the Rc10. That thing blows the RC10 out of the water out of the box!

I am wondering if the RC10 is too old to upgrade? I remember people getting 50mph? out of that car back then???

Was told that a bigger than stock motor for the RC10 would burn out the gears and "good luck finding parts"

I am just looking for some good backyard racing with 3-5 cars...

Should I cut my loses on the RC10?
I have had the Bandit for 10 days and broke a plastic pc. on front end... (2part epoxied it)
The Bandit is making funny noises in rear end..

I guess the question is three part...

Should I retire the RC10 to my 5yr old and forget about upgrades? (when it breaks, its done?)
Is the Bandit a good car?
Should I be looking at gas or electric if I want to have my own "little car" race track?

Any input appr.

Thanks

</p>
Old 04-17-2010, 08:10 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Newbie/Oldie needs HELP? RC10 vs Bandit?

the rc10 is a pain to find parts for (compared to a modern car like the bandit) but it was so popular when new and has such a following even still in the vintage community that parts wont be too hard to come across. (ebay is your friend)

the bandit can be pretty tough and parts support is great (considering traxxas is plotting to take over the world)

with the speeds and power being seen out of electric cars today its really a matter of personal taste between nitro and electric also with smaller tracks top speed isnt as big an issue as how fast you get there
Old 04-17-2010, 08:15 PM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newbie/Oldie needs HELP? RC10 vs Bandit?

First off, congrats on a triumphant return to the hobby.

That RC10 is an awesome vehicle, I'm 31 myself and always wanted one. I can't advise you on upgrades and replacement parts as I've never owned one, but the way I see it you have two options: retire it as a shelf queen and gaze upon it for fond memories, or bash it like crazy and keep on making new ones until parts run out. [&:]

If you're looking for something similar that currently has parts support, Tamiya has re-released many of their classic RC cars from that same period. They'll give you the same vintage feel but without the worry of being unable to find parts. Something like The Frog might interest you: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXLKY8&P=ML

Regarding the Bandit, my roommate has a Rustler (nearly identical) and it also had some noises from the gearbox after just a few days. They turned out to be from an improper pinion and spur mesh, which I fixed for him. He also broke a plastic piece up front, I guess these things just happen.

Check the pinion and spur, and throw some threadlocker on the motor screws if it appears the screws are backing out from vibration.