Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Unconventional Design Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 06:00 PM
heymaniknowyou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unconventional Design Question

Hello,

I'm extremely new to this subject matter. Iwant to build an RC car that has the capablitiy for me to control the speeds of both the front and rear tires independently of eachother. I'm asuming I would need to different ESC's to do this right? Also Iwant to be able to control the two sets of tires turning independently as well. I'm assuming there are no kits for this direct build, I'm gonig to be using a 5 channel reciever and a computer to control it but I was just wondering if anyone has any tips or pointers of places to start looking. So far Ijust know that I'm going to be using a specktrum receiver and transmitter.

Reciever - Ar500 5 ch reciever
Transmitter - Speckrum DX6i

I'm just curious about the esc and steering really. I think I would be able to put steering on the rear with just another servo and rods, do some models allow for this better than others. The model I'm working with now is a Tamiya Dual Hunter. Idont see why I wouldn't be able to get two one motor esc's and two servo's for this build. Thanks for your help.

Sean
Old 04-29-2010, 07:58 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Unconventional Design Question

What is your end goal in terms of usage?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:33 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you can do it...but why?
Old 04-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Access

There are kits or RTRs, they are called MOA (motor-on-axle) crawlers and most are in the super class. They have a motor on each axle and built properly, you can control each motor independently. Most also support rear steering, so again even crab steering is possible if desired.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:17 PM
heymaniknowyou

The usage is going to be indoor in a lab setting at relatively low speeds.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:19 PM
heymaniknowyou

you can do it...but why?
Theoretical work.

There are kits or RTRs, they are called MOA (motor-on-axle) crawlers and most are in the super class. They have a motor on each axle and built properly, you can control each motor independently. Most also support rear steering, so again even crab steering is possible if desired.
Great! thank you for your help. I'll look these up and see what I find. <br type="_moz" />
Old 04-30-2010, 09:24 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to set it up like a tank. Either a tank esc, or a pair of esc's on separate channels. Just run them with a pair of these http://www.rc4wdshop.com/go/product_...83812aae9876a6
Old 04-30-2010, 09:41 PM
hands without shadows

Tamiya Dual Hunter has identical gearboxes front and rear. Buy some replacement front steering parts and graft them onto the rear for 4 wheel steering. There are videos on youtube of completed examples.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Access

ORIGINAL: heymaniknowyou
Great! thank you for your help. I'll look these up and see what I find. <br type=''_moz'' />
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1229

Here's a good example of a MOA super class crawler (don't know if this particular one is any good or worth getting, try asking in the crawler forum or go to www.rccrawler.com I think it is).

Someone else brought up tanks, there is a tank group here called the southwest armor group and there are groups like that throughout the nation. They can cost up to $10,000.00, most are custom builds and it just depends on how much you want to spend, how fast you want it to go, and so on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGr_vheIgYQ
There is also a tank group on the east coast I believe that makes faster, more manueverable rc tanks for use in paintball but I don't remember their site off the top of my head.