Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Cannot wait for Joe Nall---You Going?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Cannot wait for Joe Nall---You Going?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2003, 10:05 PM
AJF 2
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cannot wait for Joe Nall---You Going?

Yea, you could meet me there and bring my WideBody with you.
Old 01-06-2003, 10:09 PM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

exactly
Old 01-06-2003, 10:49 PM
Baja170
My Feedback: (8)

What is the event that everybody is talking about in this thread? Thanks in advance for the information.

William
Old 01-07-2003, 01:47 AM
Traxxas_Tech

http://www.joenall.com/index.htm

looks like lotsa fun.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:51 AM
Baja170

Thanks for the link, but it does not work for me. I get an internal server error message.

William
Old 01-07-2003, 03:23 PM
AJF 2

http://www.joenall.com/

Try this one--they moved the website--Baja, you are not far away at all.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:37 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Default 12 hours, 58 minutes

That is according to
www.mapquest.com
791.30 miles
First time going, bought last years Joe Nall 2002 video to get ready for it.
Be sleeping in the van , along with my planes, (ask wgeffon how I can pack my van full of planes) with the campers. Hope to be there by Tuesday and leave on Sunday.
See all there.
RORO
(Roger)
Old 01-07-2003, 04:43 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Haven't been in about three years because of business...Hoping to finally get back there this year.

Of course, I used to be much closer...about 45 minutes...than now..about 8 hours.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:07 PM
bill white
My Feedback: (13)

Well, so far it looks like I will be traveling the furthest. I am coming from Portland, Oregon. I will be leaving May 8th in a motor home. I too have been reading about this event for years, and have finally decided to "go see for myself". I nearly was spooked when I started reading this thread, and saw that several modelers were getting ready to leave for the event, and then realized that the thread is nearly a year old, and that they were talking about last (2002) years event. I understand that the event is the WE after mothers day, is this correct? and in any case, what are the dates this year? I am hoping to be there on the Wed. prior to the show. Any, and all information from you guys that have been there before will be appreciated. Such as RV parking, and RV facilities.
Anybody driving from Washington, or Alaska?
Old 01-07-2003, 05:19 PM
AJF 2

Bill- I like you heard about this for years before I decided to finally go. After I made my first trip 6 years ago, I have only missed one and that was because I scheduled the WRONG WEEK for vacation and was too late to change it when I found out. I will always remember my first trip--there is no way to describe it--you gotta see for yourself. Most of your questions can be answered in the photo section of the webpage. Look for me when you get there. I will be one of the 10,000 modelers talking and flying.
Old 01-07-2003, 07:24 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

I've been going for a few years now, and don't plan on missing any in the future if I can help it. I'll be traveling about 1,100 miles from the Boston area, and will be taking my motorhome and airplane trailer.

Here is my web page from last years event with lots of photos.

http://www.giantscalerc.com/evt-joenall2002.htm

I believe I also have the year before somwhere in the misc/events section.

Why do I keep coming back. Its the friends I've made. The hospitality of event. The incredible number of airplanes to look at, and talk with the owners about. Its the non-stop activity. You wake up to airplane noise (yes, even if you get up at 5am), and you go to be to airplane noise. Last year at midnight, I woke up to the sound of a turbine doing some night flying. In the morning, it was torque rolling over the pond in light fog.

I typically arrive on Friday or Saturday the week before the event, and leave on Sunday morning. Thats 7 or 8 full days of RC bliss. Besides, what other RC event can you find 18 porta-potties lined up, and almost a mile long flight line of ez-ups!
Old 01-08-2003, 04:01 AM
tomk
My Feedback: (2)

Default how to find the sarg...

Just ask around. Usually his tent is close to the gazebo. Isn't that right Sarg?
Old 01-08-2003, 01:21 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Originally posted by bill white
Well, so far it looks like I will be traveling the furthest. I am coming from Portland, Oregon. I will be leaving May 8th in a motor home. I too have been reading about this event for years, and have finally decided to "go see for myself". I nearly was spooked when I started reading this thread, and saw that several modelers were getting ready to leave for the event, and then realized that the thread is nearly a year old, and that they were talking about last (2002) years event. I understand that the event is the WE after mothers day, is this correct? and in any case, what are the dates this year? I am hoping to be there on the Wed. prior to the show. Any, and all information from you guys that have been there before will be appreciated. Such as RV parking, and RV facilities.
Anybody driving from Washington, or Alaska?

May 15-18 this year...officially. Of course, people usually show up before that.
Old 01-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Randy-RCU

Well as long as customs let me across the boarder and I have a place to stay. I will be making the 14 1/2hr drive from Ontario again this year. I lost a bet and have to drive that far to buy Ynot a darn Cheeze Burger.. he wouldn;t go for a McDonalds gift cert.

Was way to much a blast last year.. I just have to wear a hard helmute this time incase I fall out of the golf cart while Chaz is driving... hehehe

Randy
Team OMP
Old 01-08-2003, 06:49 PM
Traxxas_Tech

Heres a wild question: How much would it cost to rent a Mobile home or a camper? Anyone do this? Just curious....
Old 01-08-2003, 07:17 PM
Baja170

I'm very lucky! Only 1.25 Hour Drive for me to get there.

Looking forward to attending!!

William
Old 01-08-2003, 07:36 PM
sfaust

A good friend of mine rented a motor home in Fayetteville SC to being to Joe Nall. I think he said it was $750 for the 5 days he had it. He and his wife/kids drove to Fayetteville from Maine, where he picked up the motor home and drove it the rest of the way. His wife took the car and met him there.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:33 PM
Randy-RCU

Originally posted by Coulter_Dean
Heres a wild question: How much would it cost to rent a Mobile home or a camper? Anyone do this? Just curious....
I was told your looking at around 900.00US

Randy
Old 01-08-2003, 09:04 PM
bill white
My Feedback: (13)

Before I purchased our motor home, I rented from a private party. The rates for a 32 ft class C w/slider, was $100.00 a day, w/500 free miles, and 10 cents a mile thereafter.

Bill
Old 01-08-2003, 09:19 PM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

So what are the camping facilities like there (are there any?)? Do people tent camp at all?
Old 01-08-2003, 10:53 PM
sfaust

Originally posted by RickVB
So what are the camping facilities like there (are there any?)? Do people tent camp at all?
It doesn't get much better at a fly in.

There is a hill off to the south? of the flight line. The hill has been terraced to allow motor homes to be parked level, and staggered height wise so that you can sit under your awning and see the planes in the air. There is a lake on site, and you can camp lake side if you wish. It is a short walk from the flight line. If you really want some privacy, you can camp along the tree line, or around the point and be in the trees, but also on the lake. There is a building there with restrooms and showers. They also bring in around 18 or 20 porta-potties. All camping must be self contained, as there is no water or electric hook ups. However, there is a truck that is available to come buy and dump your holding tanks, and there are some sources of water available that will allow you to refill on water. You just can't stay hooked up to them, as they are for everyones use.

On top of that, everyone is so friendly, that if you forgot something, one will be loaded to you. Its the old, my house is your house attitude. And if no one answers your pleas, I'll be there. Just ask me and I'll set you up with whatever you need if I have it RC flying and camping doesn't get much better.

The only draw back is that the flight line can become crowded. Thats the reason I arrive about 5 or 6 days early, get in all the flying I want, then use the days of the event for sightseeing, investigating others airplanes, talking with vendors, and learning as much as I can from the other pilots. I'll sneak in a flight when I get bored.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:50 PM
rcflyerfl

Default Joe Nall

Have been going to Joe Nall for several years now. It's a 2 day drive from Lake, Fl. as I am caring my summer home behind me.
Question: There used to be a gentleman from N.C. that sold Flight boxes. His last Name is Livesay. Have been trying to order a new box but get no answer from his phone, just an answering machine.
I helped last year to make sure that the showers and flush toilets were indeed ready for Joe Nall 2002.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:17 PM
Randy-RCU

Default Re: Joe Nall

Originally posted by rcflyerfl
Have been going to Joe Nall for several years now. It's a 2 day drive from Lake, Fl. as I am caring my summer home behind me.
Question: There used to be a gentleman from N.C. that sold Flight boxes. His last Name is Livesay. Have been trying to order a new box but get no answer from his phone, just an answering machine.
I helped last year to make sure that the showers and flush toilets were indeed ready for Joe Nall 2002.
Showers would work better if guys/galls in wheelchairs can get into them

Randy