Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Moki 2.1 Prop

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 02:15 PM
johnybravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moki 2.1 Prop

Anybody out there have accurate thrust data for a Moki 2.1 with props suitable for aerobatics? The engine is going in a 1/4 scale Extra 300S and I don't want to spend a fortune finding the best prop. I've heard a Bolly, Menz S or APC works well in 20x10 or 20x8 ?

Johnybravo

Old 12-18-2002, 02:34 PM
Chris300s
My Feedback: (1)

Default Moki 2.1 Prop

Menz U or Zinger 20x10. And the reason is this.... Both are lighter than composite or nylon props, so they spin up faster (accelerate) and arguably less efficient than the APC, Mejlick or Bolly. They seam to develope more torque than the other props do. Top end is less but 3D is better.
Chris
Old 12-21-2002, 01:30 AM
3dbatixkid

Default Moki 2.1 Prop

Hmmm.... I disagree HIGHLY with the above post. Menz Ultra is not enough prop, yeah, it will spin up fast, but thats it. Bollys are piles cause thyre heavy and shake a lot. AS for Zingers, I would use those as paint stirrers. They are the LEAST inefficient prop in the world!! APCs are also turds, cause they are heavy and flew a lot. I run a Bambula 20x8. It is a super stiff prop, and has a LOT of thrust. You could also use a Menz STANDARD or a 3W prop if you want. I run the 20x8, and am taching about 8200, which is good. If you want to see videos, go to www.3dbatix.com, and then look at the DP extra videos. That plane has the Moki 2.10, and Bambula 20x8 on it. Weight is 15 lbs, and it flies great.

And one more thing, the Bambula is only 17 bucks, which is almost as much as a Zinger, and prolly a lot less than an APC.

Old 01-07-2003, 11:11 AM
johnybravo

Default Moki 2.1 Prop

Zak, thanxs for the input on prop selection. I checked out your video and that is some prettyawesome stuff, looks like that Extra will pull out of a hover with no sweat. You prefer the 20x8 Bambula to a 20x10? I'm more into IMAC style aerobatics than 3d so the 20 x10 might suit me better.

Keep it torkin dude!
Old 01-07-2003, 07:07 PM
3dbatixkid

Default Moki 2.1 Prop

i dunno if the 20x10 will be better. I run the 20x8 because it gives me good vertical and doesnt bog the engine too much. I tried a Moki 20x10 prop on it once, and it didnt pull it at all. you might have to try both to really find the best one.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:57 PM
johnybravo

Default Moki 2.1 Prop

The 20x10 Moki was no good for you? I've heard 25 lbs static thrust on the Moki 20x10, about 21 lbs on a Zinger 20x10. That 25 lbs is claimed by the Moki importer so I don't know if it is accurate, sounds a bit on the high side. A lot of the locals that are flying IMAC competition are running 20x10 on the Moki on 80 inch span aerobats with decent results. I don't know about the 3D stuff though. I guess the thing to do is buy a butt load of props and fly em till I find what works for me. I'll pick upa Bambula 20x8 and give it a try. Thanks for the advice. JohnyB
Old 01-08-2003, 06:00 PM
3dbatixkid

Default Moki 2.1 Prop

did you see that rating in the review on the 2.10 in one of the magazines? Thats where i saw it, and thats why i tried the prop. But, it didnt work for me. It may work for you, but i dont know youd prolly have to try it. A good IMAC prop is Mejzlik. They are heavy and dont spool fast, but you dont need it to when youre flying IMAC. The best thing about the Mejzlik, is the downline breaking. The Mejzlik seems to slow any plane down on a downline very nicely. For 3D though, you always want a good sturdy wood prop.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:43 PM
johnybravo

Default Moki 2.1 Prop

Yeah, I think I read that in RCM Engine Review on the Moki. I've heard 21 to 25 pounds thrust from different sources but how are they measuring it? I still think the best way is to bolt it up and go fly it then you'll know for sure which one works best for your style of flying. In another thread on this forum somebody claims a Saito 180 will put out 21 lbs on an APC 17x6. That sounds kinda high for that engine but who knows till you try it? I'll give the Mejlik a try I've heard good things about them.