Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Dietrich Extra 260 50cc

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:47 AM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dietrich Extra 260 50cc

Rod,

I have about 60 flights on my 50cc Extra at this time. No issues at all. Not sure why someone would think the landing gear isnt solid. I fly off of grass and concrete and the gear is still very solid. No loose glue joints at this point. Will know more about it by the end of the season and should have around 100 flights on it. I did use the supplied hardware even though it doesnt "appear" to be as good as some after market stuff. This plane flies really nice, especially compared to my previous plane of this size. A friend is flying a Great Planes Cap and I would say the quality is similar but the extra handles a little better in the air. The hardware of the Cap is a little better. I wouldnt be afraid to buy another one. The fit and finish of mine was really pretty good. Kevin at Dietrich was really good to work with on any questions I had during the build and set up.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

A comment concerning the included hardware. I thought it seemed pretty solid and would have used all of it if not for one thing. The instructions show that you use one of YOUR large servo arms, (specifically the big red one with 4 arms that comes with some varieties of Hitec servo's), attach it to the servo, then bolt their servo arm to the top of it, trim off and excess of the 4 arms that protrudes. Well.. I only had 2 of those type arms so that was no deal. Thought that it was a bit flaky to have to dig stuff up in order to get the included arms to work. Thats why I ditched their arms and used SWB. If not for that one point I would have used their stuff all the way around. I did use the includes on rudder and moving surfaces. Used a uni-hub with the included rudder arm bolted to it for the rudder servo setup. (Which provided a different set of problems finding bolts to fit both).

Also ditched the wire setup on the throttle linkage. Used 2-56 ball link, threaded for 4-40 rod on the servo, with an included clevis on the throttle arm at the other end. The choke ended up being very simple. Used 2-56 ball link on a 2-56 rod that extends toward the front of the cowl. A round bend on the end makes it real easy to grab with a finger to pull or push. The rod is held in place with a chrome tiewrap on the spark lead. It can vibrate all it wants.. not going anywhere. Added some shielding to the spark lead, don't see any issue with interference, using Spektrum also helps in that regard. Anyway, just wanted to throw a few of my thoughts about the included hardware out there...
Old 09-11-2007, 10:15 PM
balsafire
My Feedback: (4)

Well, when I got home I had 3 boxes waiting to be opened which I made quick work of. This plane is absolutley gorgeous and within 10 minutes I had my bench organized and was twistin' screws. Alas, I have a problem, or Dietrich does. When I picked up the right wing pannel there was a very strange rattling sound. looking down inside the wing from about the 3rd rib the next 3 or 4 are broken right in the center. The caps are tight and what is there is rigid but I'm going to call Kevin in the morning and request a replacement. I have the wood pieces that dropped out of the root end so I'm hoping they will be right about it.

Other than that it appears to be built really well. I plan on using some of the hardware but I to have decided to go with the SWB arms on the servos. I don't see the sense in using a very high torque servo with metal gears and bolting a arm to a cheesy plastic gear whose spline could not handle its output. I do like the rudder end of the pull-pull set up and that part is already installed. Boy, those tail springs are heavy! I hope they loosen up after some use, talk about positive ground handling. That's about as far as I got was to get the tail group together and I skipped ahead and installed the wheels and pants. I used blind nuts on the pants to make the install and removal easier.

The engine will be here tomorrow and the servos on Thurs. Bad Brad sent a first draft of the wing graphics that look awesome. as soon as he has the entire package together in better than a computer drawing I'll post some pics, Too tired and electronically challenged to attempt it tonight.

Happy flyin' all,
Rod
Old 09-12-2007, 09:05 AM
Radical Departure

balsafire..
You're not going to like hearing this, but if you have the white wing with the red bottom, trimmed in red, blue and gold, it may take a few weeks or so before you see a replacement wing. I know this because I tried to get one recently when I damaged a servo well. I was told he had none in stock, and would have to have shipped from manufact., he mentioned that he needed to get more in stock anyway. He had the black and yellow wings in stock, and was willing to make a good deal on a set, but it would also mean flying with miscolored wings or do a recovering job. In the end I found it easier to repair and recover the servo area. Its been about 3 weeks or so since, I'm not sure if he ordered replacements or not. Hopefully he has. Just thought you might be interested in my experience.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:12 PM
balsafire

Hey Radical.
I have the red, yellow and black version that is yellow on bottom. I actually spoke to Kevin this morning and he had already read my e-mail. I should have the replacement in 3-4 days and get this, he doesn't even want the damaged wing back. Customer service has been great and he is really cool to deal with. I'm going to open up the bottom and repair the ribs and have a spair. If anyone has this version and needs a right wing let me know and I'll hook you up.

My engine was supposed to be here today but hasn't shown up yet. I have a few small things left to do but can't do much else without it or the servos and bats. Guess I'll mock it up again and drool.

Happy flyin' all,
Rod
Old 09-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Radical Departure

Excellent, thankfully you have the other color scheme. I've spoke with Kevin several times regarding some setup question or such, as well my wing issue. Anytime you call you can pretty well expect you'll get him on the line. I've not had any difficulty getting hold of him or getting my questions answered, beyond not having my wing in stock. Post some pics when you get a chance, would be interested in seeing your setup.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:05 PM
balsafire

Well, I had hoped for a more productive weekend but the Big Brown truck really blew it, actually big brown the company[:@]I got the engine 1 day late and mounted it that same day. My servos were supposed to be here on Thurs. according to Servo City but when I checked the online tracking it said they were scheduled for Fri. At 7:00 p.m. they still showed as being delivered on time but weren't here. Sat morning I called UPS and a VERY rude agent told me they were lost and the seller, not me, would have to call them and place a trace that could take several days if not more. I don't know if I was more bummed or just plain pissed. I planned on breaking in the engine but had several things come up so I couldn't get to my LHS on Sat for a prop. I tried two others today(HobbyTown and Hobby people)but they are just glorified toy stores here and didn't even come close to having a prop that size.

I did get the throttle and choke linkages hooked up and I'm pretty pleased with their operation. I mounted a plate about 1/3 of the way down in the engine box for the throttle. By using 2 4/40 ball links and all thread rod I got a straight and short line to the throttle. Throttle linkages are usually my most challenging part of the set up but I really like the way this one came out. I made another plate out of light ply and covered the lightening hole just forward of the fuel tank and mounted the choke servo there. The reason for the plate was the hole was too big for the servo. Both linkages work really well with no binding according to my load tester. I then made another plate to mount the batteries and receiver just aft of the wing tube but instead of gluing it in it is mounted on thin rubber gromments with hex head wood screws and the components mount to it. It should cut down on vibration and I can remove the bats. and receiver as 1 unit for repairs or changing. With the 2 servos in the front the ign. battery will probably end up there as well for ballance.

Trust me, I'll be on the phone with Servo City first thing in the morning and hopefully get the servo situation resolved quick. What really sucks is I paid an extra $35.00 shipping for the SWB arms so they would be here at the same time as the servos...They're here... FROM UPS!!! Go figure[:'(].

Check out the pics of what I've got so far and let me know what you all think.

Happy flyin' all,
Rod
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74746.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	764242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw73603.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	764243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82452.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	764244  
Old 09-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Flyer Freq

I am a little concerned about the close proximity of radio parts and ignition parts. If you get any interference with ground testing, you are going to have to get those items separated.

Andy
Old 09-17-2007, 04:40 PM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

Might want to put a hole in the firewall for the carb opening. Mine ended up being very close also so I drilled about a 3/4 inch hole to allow the carb to breath a little better.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:27 PM
balsafire

ORIGINAL: vanguard

Might want to put a hole in the firewall for the carb opening. Mine ended up being very close also so I drilled about a 3/4 inch hole to allow the carb to breath a little better.
Yeah, I got that in mind. With the choke open it clears by 1/2", close but not bad. I'm going to break it in tomorrow(finally got my servos)and finish the radio set up and get it dialed in. If it seems ok on the ground I'll try it in flight. Any intake problems should show themselves quick. I'd rather not have to cut anymore on the firewall since I already opened it up for the linkages, although not much.

Thanks for the input flyer. I'm using the Spektrum radio which is supposed to be a lot less sensitive to radio noise. I actually ran a similar set-up on a 27% H9 Extra 260 with a BME .44 with no problems. The ign. is soft mounted to the side of the box and the plug lead is insulated on the wire with a Bosch type cap. Trust me when I say though that I will be checking that as well as EVERYTHING else I can think of.

I got off work late so all I got done tonight was the prop mounted and the rudder servo and pull-pull set-up. Man! that hi-tek 5955 is fast as well as powerful, can you say lots of expo....

I'll post some pics and weights of the final draft in a couple of days, shooting for the maiden this weekend.

Happy flyin' all,
Rod
Old 09-19-2007, 10:19 PM
balsafire

I finally got everything and should be done tomorrow. I have to install the servo in the new wing panel, dial in all the throws, break in the engine and mount the spinner. I finalized my "custom" graphics with brad @ badbradgraphics.com tonight and he is going to overnight them to me tomorrow. If you check his website he is working on a basic package based on my plane(measurements)but he is going to offer a lot of different options like radio, engine, servos, etc as a basic package. I forward the e-mail he sent me after we spoke that has some of the options.

I'll post final pics, weights and specs on Friday after I install the graphics. Looking real good for a maiden this weekend with a sick lookin' bird.

Happy flyin' all,
Rod

Name:	Jg13882.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	766381  
Old 09-19-2007, 10:22 PM
GmanBill
My Feedback: (10)

It dose say in the instructions to make a hole in the firewall to accommodate the rear carb of the DA & DL motors. Also mounting the servos for throttle and choke in the spots shown in the instructions is plenty far away from motor RF interference. I have both my servos just in front of the wing tube with no interference with either my 72 MHz or 2.4gh systems.
I have a white one and a black red white and yellow one; I also have the 42% 260 and have a 40% 300 on the way. What I am waiting for is the new 75cc airframe because it looks like it could be as much fun as all Kevin’s other planes, they fly rock solid and should serve me well in the 2008 IMAC and 3D season, I go to about 3 shows a month across the US and am in almost every state in the union except those that I have to cross large bodies of water.

P.S.
I go through a lot of planes a year, just call me crash lately, lol.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:58 PM
RickyD77

Here's mine with my decals hope you enjoy it

http://www.nexweb.ca/ed/gallerie/index.html
Old 09-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Radical Departure

ORIGINAL: RickyD77

Here's mine with my decals hope you enjoy it

http://www.nexweb.ca/ed/gallerie/index.html
Sweet!!! Have you flown it yet?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:44 AM
RickyD77

Yep these baby fly realy great... by the way im working on decals for the black/red/yellow version

Old 09-26-2007, 05:13 PM
RickyD77

Here's a preview of the decals some modification will be made but almost done for production... hitec or jr will be available for the fin to...

dont esitate give me your sugestion beffore those goes to print...

Old 09-26-2007, 06:02 PM
wingburner
My Feedback: (17)

Looks good, but it really could do without the powered by DA 50 or whatever the engine may be...On the cowl is fine, but it wrecks the rest of the aircraft...Leave room for electronic gear, hardware and such graphics.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:41 PM
RickyD77

yep mabe the powered has an option will be the key and by the way it was part of the modification im talking earlier it woul be aerobatic on the big extra 260...
Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 PM
wingburner

I don't know if you're allowed, but Brillelli-3W-ZDZ, Duralite-Fromeco-JR-Futaba-Hitec and a host of others could be offered with your package..

Let us know when you're done tweaking as I have a Black one that needs graphics

We don't all fly DA
Old 09-26-2007, 07:21 PM
RickyD77

I know but kevin sell DA and 3w but i will talk to him and mabe do different package...
Old 09-26-2007, 08:54 PM
RickyD77

here's some modification...

the team wiked was a kevin demand...
Old 09-26-2007, 09:47 PM
wingburner

That's much better...Are you sure he didn't mean Team Wicked... Not really sure what Team Weaked means.

If you can offer that with the different electronic brands would be a great touch...He told me he'd have some later this week and I'm just realising now he's getting them from you...I should ask if I can just get them sent to me from you to Alberta.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:28 PM
RickyD77

lol my bad
Old 09-27-2007, 12:02 AM
balsafire

Well, she's all done but lousy weather AND a new grand baby last weekend kept me grounded, can't complain about that. Looks like the maiden will have to wait 'till weekend after this one. My auw came in at 15 lbs, 7oz with Nimh batteries on ign and tx so I'm pretty pleased with that. It ballances perfectly on rec. c.g. with the ign and battery on the motor box and no additional weight. I did get a chance to run 2 tanks of break in fuel through and I am really pleased with the new DL 50 so far. After about 15 flips with the choke off it caught and another 3 and it was running. It took about 10 minutes for it to start to smooth out at 2000 rpm and I just kept it at that speed with the low speed needle. I'm going to run it some more before I take it to the field and "tweak" the settings but so far, so good. The graphics from badbradgraphics.com came in on Friday and I finally got them on tonight. The scheme on this plane is wild in stock trim but these really set it off, at least for me. I'm e-mailing him the same pics as below and they will be on his website for reference to his package. I think you get to choose between 2 or 3 different wing logos, your radio and engine choice and 1 other. I paid extra the pilot logo on the canopy and the Goodyear logo on the pants but not much. What sucks is I paid an extra $19.00 for overnight shipping and didn't even get it to the field[:@]. Oh well, whats $19.00 when you've invested $2000.00 plus. I think my wife is sorry she INSISTED I get this plane but I'll be the sorry one if it doesn't live a long life.

Enjoy the pics and as always feedback is always welcome.
Happy flyin' all,
Rod

Name:	Pn35603.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	771103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23910.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	771104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33565.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	771105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv15975.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	771106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Md51927.jpg
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	771107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zb61324.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	771108   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc57013.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	771109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se37479.jpg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	771110  

Old 10-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Flakbait
My Feedback: (20)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looking good!! Bad Brad did a great job on your graphics as well....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.