Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

Justifying a higher end transmitter?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Justifying a higher end transmitter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 06:48 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Justifying a higher end transmitter?

I didn't know that! Wow, you live and learn. Note to all, HRS mode for any futaba radio REQUIRES all digital servos. Analogs will BURN!!! [>:]
Old 03-27-2009, 09:48 AM
SManMTB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just RTFM, that's exactly what is stated.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:05 PM
TRINI-LUCIAN

Location: St.AugustineTrinidad and Tobago, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO

i have a 3pm 2.4 faast with s 9452 sevos in my fwo5t..., i must say that hrs mode is instantaneous! coupled with some of the exponential throttle and steering curves it offers. the range is not an issue.. and interference is a thing of the past. The best investment one can make would be upgrading radios and servos. Spend the cash get the best you can afford... its worth it.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:05 PM
HJJFFFAA

The way I see it the radio is what makes the R/C an R/C. A bad radio could ruin your R/C experience while a really good radio could make it that much better. Also you have to be able to trust your radio with your $200+ models. To me the radio is worth as much if not more than the R/C itself.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 AM
Airbus 9e

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

The way I see it the radio is what makes the R/C an R/C. A bad radio could ruin your R/C experience while a really good radio could make it that much better. Also you have to be able to trust your radio with your $200+ models. To me the radio is worth as much if not more than the R/C itself.

That is so refreshing to read....so many times I see guys with $400 monster trucks, with another $300-$400 worth of upgrades, bigger motors, tires and such, and they're still using the $40 POS that came with it......and they wonder why the thing goes all screwy on them....

I have one of the first in the Futaba 3PK series that I bought about 5 years ago....It's still an awesome radio, and i use it in everything except my E-Maxx, which I have a 3PM for, simply because it was given to me, plus i like the switch for shifting gears better....Sometime I would like to get either the FASST or the Spektrum module for the PK, just to be up to dateIf I get the Spektrum, I can add the telemetry moduel for my Aftershock, just for the fun of it.....hehe
Old 04-03-2009, 11:40 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the original LST2 FM radio for my four RC's, all with expensive digital receivers. I know everybody bangs on about "having to have" DSM, but I just don't see it. Since everybody else runs DSM these days, I rarely have channel issues.

I also do NOT like what I hear about Spektrum range issues..

So anyway, at this point I'm on the fence. I'm sure there are some advantages, but I also think there's a lot of unfounded hype, and unnecessary schnick-schnack features that you'll never really need..

For me to change over, it'd be a huge investment.. I guess I could get a DX3S for my two racers, and leave the other FM radio for the bashers...

Does DSM REALLY make servos that much faster? I'm skeptical...
Old 04-03-2009, 02:48 PM
dacaur

For me, 2.4Ghz isnt about being "better" its about peace of mind. I KNOW that my truck isn't going to glitch and run full speed into a tree. I KNOW that little timmy next door isn't going to get a new truck for his birthday that's on the same channel as mine and cause a crash. I KNOW that I don't have to ask everyone what channel they are on before I turn on my truck.... People on 27 and 75Mhz just have to hope.... Some people get lucky, some don't. I have had a crashed airplane due to someone turning on a radio on my channel before I got my DX7, and it sucks, knowing it could have been prevented.
A DX3S uses DSM1, so its not going to be any faster than a 75Mhz radio, but a DX3R uses DSM2, so there will be a difference. Futaba FASST has HRS mode if you use digital servos, which does make a big difference, but you cant use it with analog servos.

As for the range issue... When I got my first car radio, I got a futaba because I had heard about spektrums range issues. After lots of reading, I found that people don't have sporadic problems, either they get good range or they don't, if they have a 50 foot range, they ALWAYS have a 50 foot range. I don't know if its their installation, or just bad units, but When the losi LST XXL came out, I decided to chance it, since the truck comes with a DX3S, so I sold my 3PM, and so far, have had no problems with the spektrum radio. Great range. One thing I like about it better than the futaba, is that I can use the failsafe with analog servos. With futaba, you can ONLY use the failsafe in HRS mode, so you need digital servos.... I also like that I can get cheaper receivers, since the losi 2.4Ghz radios use spektrum technology, and work with spektrum radios...

Ill never buy another 27 or 75 mhz radio, not becuase 2.4Ghz is any bettter, but becuase thats one less thing to worry about... live has enough to worry about....
Old 04-15-2009, 11:43 PM
Steve.

Seeing that we're on the topic of high end transmitters, the Futaba 3PKS 2.4g is available at Tower for $349 with a $30 instant coupon code making it $319. For those wanting the 3PKS but can't swing it the 3PKS Synth FM 75mHz is on sale for $199 with a $20 coupon code making it $179, an incredible price for such an awesome radio. I already have a 3PKS Synth and couldn't resist buying another at that price. I put the Synth module in my son's 3PJS so he can run my cars also and will put the 303 Synth receiver in my Savage. Eventually I will get a FASST module and RX and gradually make the switch to 2.4g. I always run HRS or PCM mode with failsafe and I've never had any issues with glitching or run-aways. It's such a great radio for a ridiculously low price that I would recommend it to anyone looking for a high end radio, especially if you don't race and aren't concerned about frequency conflicts. One of the best things about the 3PKS platform is it can transmit in PPM, PCM, HRS FM, and HRS 2.4g for total backward and forwards compatibility. I would have loved to get the 4PK but the expense of switching all of my receivers would have been huge so the 3PKS fit perfectly. Currently I have 3 HRS receivers, 4 PCM receivers, 2 Novak Synth receivers, and 2 FM crystal receivers and the 3PKS works with them all.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:35 PM
devilchrist

actually.. if you're member you get the $60 off $300 and $35 off $200

so the 3pk becomes sweek deal.. however.... for most.. i think 3PM 2.4ghz at 179 before discount has the most value. that's 155 with $25 coupon. can't beat that. oh and the fact that you get a free receiver too when you buy the 3PK 2.4
Old 04-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Steve.

It definately is a sweet deal at that price, all are good radios at their price point. If you have the cash there's no better deal than the 3PKS 2.4g, if 2.4g is a must and you're on a budget the 3PM 2.4g can't be beat. If you're like me and have a bunch of Futaba receivers in your models and want backward and forward compatibility then there'e no better way to spend $170 than on the 3PKS Synth.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:11 AM
devilchrist

ya.. Only thing is I run lithium bat for receiver. and i haven't heard of people having glitches with BEC with 2.4ghz radios. I run 4AA's right now because my FM stock radio can't run clean with a switching BEC