Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

G26ei or G26 magneto

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Propwash-don
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: G26ei or G26 magneto

Wingstrut, I learned how to drive on a 1949 Farm-All and sometimes the battery would die (but only on the coldest day known to man), and my job was to plow the road leading back to the house. []And many is the time I had to hand crank that guy, but then again both the tractor and I were only 14 years old at the time. I FEEL YOUR PAIN. [&o]
Propwash-Don
Old 01-11-2008, 07:11 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Glad to see that one of your New Year's resolutions has come true already...lucky you

Seriously though, welcome to the one of the friendliest, most helpful and at times downright entertaining forums around, and of course the world of gas engines.

Sure hope you will enjoy your stay here as much as I have, and remember if you don't know all you have to do is ask.

Karol
Old 01-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Falcon6667

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a g-26 , an a ei 20, they are great, very easy starting,,the big thing with the ei 20 is it dosent seem to kick back, the 26 had a bad mount on the carb after up grading it starts good. i use my 18 volt screw gun , most of the time can hand flip . the ei is my first pick
Falcon
Old 01-11-2008, 10:31 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Just in case, CH has a bolt on kit to convert the G-26 magneto to EI.
Also a bolt on kit to change the G-20/26 EI to a CH ignition and cut down on your battery drain or replace a bad Zenoah unit for much less than a new Zenoah unit.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

I use a common glow engine starter to spin mine. ( G23 not 26 ) I have to help it over the first compression stroke with a chicken stick but it picks it up fine from there.

What makes the G23/26/62 more difficult to hand flip, over say a G38, is the relative small diameter of the flywheel. It produces less RPM past the pickup with equal speed of the flip. That's why you have to "slap" the prop. It is an art in itself to see people that can hand start a G62.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:47 PM
wingstrut

Propwash, Fantastic I found someone who actually participated in hand cranking one of those monsters.
I learned on an old farmall myself in New York, but later went to a John Deere.
By the way I purchased a G26 with Magneto ignition.....And I WILL LEARN TO START IT!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-2008, 06:53 PM
wingstrut

Thankyou Karol, I appreciate the welcome, everyone needs to joke around a little and make people laugh.......you live longer that way.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:08 PM
propshaft

Wingstrut,

I have been flying a G26 in a BUSA Pup for the last 3 years. It is a great combo and the engine just keeps getting stronger with absolutely no tendency to flame out or misbehave. However, I am not able to hand start the engine from cold. After one run it is fairly easy to hand start (choke closed and flip 'till it fires, then open choke and flip 2-3 times). I realize that the failure to start cold is not normal and I was wondering what Scott from Brillelli meant when he told you to "... make sure that the air gap for the mag coil is set tight". That is a possible problem I have not looked into. Can you explain what the air gap for the mag coil is?
Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Use a dollar bill to set the air gap. Get it as close as you can with out it rubbing.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:26 PM
wingstrut

The air gap that scott and TKG were refering to was the gap between the mag on the back of the engine and the flywheel
you will have to remove the motor mount plate on the back of the engine to get to it.
you will see a magneto, the thing with the wires coming out of it.
like TKG said use a dollar bill between the flywheel and the mag, loosen the two screws that hold the mag secure and gently let it move down toward the flywheel until it contacts the dollar bill, then snug the two screws and see if the dollar bill will slide out from between the mag and the flywheel, if it doesn't then it's too tight. keep trying until it does. I wish I had a picture it would be easier to explain.

let me know if I totally confused you.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:29 PM
wingstrut

Also thank you for letting me know that you have had such good luck with the BUSA Sopwith,
and the Zenoah, that makes me feel a whole lot better about my choices.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:50 PM
wingstrut

Propshaft, Did you build your busa sopwith and if you did.
the plans call out for down thrust and side thrust to the engine, did you put these in and if so does it fly ok.
I've always set my engines zero,zero to the center line of the aircraft and adjusted the wing incidence according to the style of wing.....O degrees for fully symetrical and negative 1-2 degrees for semi and 2-4 degrees negative for flat bottom wings.
but I know that bipes use totally different wing incidence usually one is negative and one is positive.

now I'm talking about monoplanes I haven't built any bipes

I was wondering if I can do this with a bipe.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:56 PM
wingstrut

Thanks everyone for the info, I purchased a g-26 and I'm moving forward. Question resolved
Old 02-05-2008, 03:56 PM
UH60 Crewdog

Hello gentlemen, I recently purchased a "23cc Genuine Zenoah Komatsu G-22 engine converted for aircraft use" from a man I did some research on and people were pretty happy with him so I bought his engine. My experience has all been glow engines 2 and 4 stroke so im un-sure how this whole magneto/spark plug thing is going to work out for me. 1st question is how do you kill the motor with a idle hole drilled in a standard buttery-fly plate. I know most weedeaters just have a ground out switch, is that something I have to walk up and switch off for my plane? Also not sure what mixture gas/oil to run in this engine. Or does anyone know where I can find parts just incase i need them. Last question is if anyone knows the shaft size so I can go ahead and order me a prop before this engine gets to me. Thanks ahead of time for any help.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:21 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Propwash-don

Wingstrut, I usual don't get into these Thread dscussions but this one hits close to home. My first gas engine was a Zenoah G-26. And after 30 years of flying glow and big stuff like 180's I found the G-26 to be a big pain in the you know what to start. And it's not just me, but most of the old time gas guys in the club, the ones that talked me into a Zenoah in the first place, the ones that fly nothing but G-62's (in their Warbirds) gave up on their G-26's and sold them. So you better be sure the 4 guys at your field are flying 26's and not the bigger Zenoah engines with spring starters. I ended up getting a hi-torque starter (you will need two 12 volt batteris) to start mine. Now that I have that, it starts fine, and runs great and I have never had a bit of trouble with it. So after having other engines with electronic ignitions I would say that since you will more than likely have to go with a $100.00 plus for a starter and batteries you just as well off spending the money on the electronic ignition model.
And don't rule out other 26's on the market either. Good Luck

----------------

After messing with 1.20 four-strokes for a while, I mounted a 7 AH Lead Calcium battery directly to the bottom of my standard Sullivan starter. The leads are less than six inches long. With this set up and a fresh charge in the battery, I have yet to meet a 40cc engine that cannot be started with it.

Folks forget that DC voltage really suffers with power leads being any longer than necessary.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-07-2008, 09:43 PM
FLYBABY6

ITS FUNNY WHEN YOU ASK A BUNCH OF PEOPLE WHICH IS BETTER! LOL..... I HAVE A G26EI, AND I DO JUST AS THE BOOK STATES. AND ONCE CHOKE BURPED( AROUND 3-5 FLIPS THEN A CAUGH) TURN CHOKE OFF AND ONE FLIP GETS IT GOING.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:14 PM
NM2K

My G26 is now fitted with EI. No starter necessary now. Ralph Cunningham of R/C Ignitions does premium work. Well worth the cost of lightening and installation of the EI.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-07-2008, 10:19 PM
karolh

I like to look at it this way, hand starting a magneto ignition engine is very doable, hand starting an EI engine is very easy.

Karol
Old 07-07-2008, 10:27 PM
NM2K

It used to be doable for me, Karol, but no longer due to a bad shoulder.

I used to get a kick out of being the only one at the field that could start a Quadra Q35 by hand reliably. That was back in my thirties. In my early sixties, that just ain't happenin', if you know what I mean? The EI takes all of the serious work out of it, which I'm all for these days.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-08-2008, 08:34 AM
karolh

I know exactly what you mean Ed as I'm right in that group too, as even my favourite position of kneeling to hand start has been modified to suit my aging knees, so for me EI is the way of choice.

Karol
Old 07-08-2008, 08:41 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the EI but I only got it because I got a deal on it so the price difference from non EI to EI was negligible so why not? Mine sits in a 1/4 Taylorcraft
Old 07-09-2008, 01:06 PM
arobatx

yeah, once you experience the two finger flip with EI, it's hard to go back to slapping the props, throwing out shoulders....etc

Chad
Old 08-13-2008, 12:18 PM
riat

Hi guys

I have been pondering whether to get a mag or EI G26 for my KMP fw190.

With the latest posts I am leaning towards the EI engine.

However, I would like an indication from you guys using the EI regarding the battery consumption on the electronic ignition. What size battery you are using and typical duration would be most welcome.

Thanks and regards
Old 08-13-2008, 01:31 PM
arobatx

Most any field starter will spin the 26, making the EI version in a bird that likely could use the noseweight anyway, a moot point. Check with folks flying the same bird, and inquire about the weight in the nose. You won't see any performance gain from EI, just weight loss, easier starting, and that is only if you are hand flipping it.

My comments above were more related to those uncomfortable with the starting procedure for a mag engine...and those using the larger mag engines, like perhaps an OEM g62, can get kicked pretty good if they don't pay attention.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:37 PM
karolh

The power consumption on the stock G26EI is quite high in relation to other EI systems and requires approx. 2,500 mAh of capacity to provide a reasonable run time. Several persons including myself have replaced the stock Zenoah EI unit with the RC exl igniton system which has proven to be an excellent unit that is extremely frugal in it's power consumption, requiring 800 mAh for approx. 90 mins. of run time, and is offered by CH Ignitions and RC Ignitions as a plug and play replacement.

Karol

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.