Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Stupid Laws That May Affect Our Hobby

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Stupid Laws That May Affect Our Hobby

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:55 AM
quietnas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Stupid Laws That May Affect Our Hobby

ORIGINAL: happywing

There's a lot of good dialog in this thread, but nobody has mentioned the bill (HR 2454) that just passed in the house of reps. They have passed a bill that thumbs its nose at the 10th amendment and forces ALL states (by FEDERAL law) to adopt California emission standards. It forces business (by fine, of course) to spend billions of dollars to ''clean up their act.'' It is directed at EVERY US citizen. There is a provision that creates a department of home inspection. Under this law, your house will have to pass FEDERAL inspection before it can be sold. This means the seller will have to update any ''inefficient'' appliances before they can sell. There is no provision for an agreement between buyer and seller. Look it up, but you'll be lucky if you can find the truth. The ''spin'' on this bill is amazing, so don't read someone's interpretation. You have to read the bill to find the truth.

As I said, this has already passed the house...It's on it's way to the Senate in late-summer or fall...Call your senator.
Actually I did hear about the law and I looked it up last night about 3 in the morning lol. And again I heard about this law from Glenn Beck and Rush. Say what you will HerrSavage but they do talk about the facts. This is a very scary law. Your home has to pas a Federal inspection for efficiancy before you can sell it. If it does not pass the inspection you have to upgrade before you can sell. And its not just appliances. Its windows, doors and insulation. What if your selling because you can no longer afford the home your in and you don't have the money to do these upgrades. What happens then? I'll tell you. You can't make the mortgage, home goes into foreclosure, and then your credit id ruined. All you wanted to do was sell the home to avoid that senario. Granted that is only one senario but the most common one in our economic times.

The emissions thing is another waste of money. When I was a teenager we did have an emissions program here. I remember having to pay 65 bucks back then to wait in line at a special facility to have my car smogged checked. My car had passed the smog test but failed the visual inspection. What you mean my car runs clean but I still failed! Are you serious! Well what happened was that because I had an after market racing catalytic converter the car could only be run off road. Mind you my car was running clean. I had to go to the exhaust shop and have them rig the stock cat back on and go back pay another 65 bucks and pass. When I had compared the 2 sheets of paper I had I noticed with the racing cat the car ran cleaner. I just did not get it. Thank god our old Govenor got rid of the program.

Someone mentioned earlier that Cali has hit 10% unemployment. Well so did Florida. In the 2 counties that I live and work in there have been dealer ships that have shut down. In Dade county 580 teachers got laid off and in Broward County 450 teachers got laid off. This current economy is crazy and it is just getting worse. Now if this thing becomes law its more money out of our pockets. Now our dear old Pres is thinking about taxing my health benefits from my job. Again more money out of my pocket. MORE TAXES! And mind you I am not rich. I am a customer service rep for a major cell phone company and I refuse to share my hard earned money so the next shlub who does nothing gets a peice of my small pie. Get ready America the Country that I love is in some deep doo doo.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Access

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: quietnas1
this thing becomes law its more money out of our pockets. Now our dear old Pres is thinking about taxing my health benefits from my job. Again more money out of my pocket. MORE TAXES! And mind you I am not rich. I am a customer service rep for a major cell phone company and I refuse to share my hard earned money so the next shlub who does nothing gets a peice of my small pie. Get ready America the Country that I love is in some deep doo doo.
Actually the thing that will save us is that the ROW (rest of world) is in even worse shape than we are. Economically at least.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:37 AM
quietnas1

HerrSavavage don't take this as an attack cuz I keep responding a lot to what you say. I just enjoy debating. The thing with the RC planes is that you can't even fly one that you bought at Wal-Mart. Its a toy not hobby grade. Another thing about the ordinance is that it says you can't fly unless you are in a designated area set aside by the County. Well Dade county has no designated flying areas for the modeler. So what is the point in having a law saying you can fly in a designated area when there is no designated area. It makes no sense. In order to fly you have to drive up to the next county in Broward. They have plenty of parks that accommodate the flyer and RC Driver alike.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Access

quietnas1 what about kites? Do they forbid those? Paper airplanes? Flying objects in general (ie. a football or baseball). There are loopholes in every law, just got to read the fine print and find the loophole. Give me a link to the legalese or the exact wording of the law and I'll show you how. How are the words 'airplane', 'model', 'fly', and such defined.

Likewise what about 'stealth' or 'outlaw' flying. Think outside the box. Make a custom transmitter that looks like a gameboy or some other portable gaming system. Stand around with other people. If a cop shows up, look like you are minding your own business playing your game. Be subtle. Fly the plane out of his sight and land it if you have to.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:34 AM
dragracedude

yeah, bad laws suck. and please, don't bash on the other political party, its irrelevent in the discussion. we don't need political affiliation in our hobby. it's bad enough where i live
Old 06-30-2009, 12:42 PM
TIGER76

[quote][Who would have guessed you'd get more liberty and freedom in Europe than we are going to get here?/quote]

Trust me you WOULDNT believe some of the laws the EU have passed in the last few years,our health and safety laws get worst and worst every year,its getting to the piont where you cant move in work without fear of needing to pass a training course and get the certificate lol

..Luckily we have high crime over here so the police are far to bother us RCers, there far too busy chasing chavs and handing out asbos
Old 06-30-2009, 12:50 PM
quietnas1

ORIGINAL: Access

quietnas1 what about kites? Do they forbid those? Paper airplanes? Flying objects in general (ie. a football or baseball). There are loopholes in every law, just got to read the fine print and find the loophole. Give me a link to the legalese or the exact wording of the law and I'll show you how. How are the words 'airplane', 'model', 'fly', and such defined.

Likewise what about 'stealth' or 'outlaw' flying. Think outside the box. Make a custom transmitter that looks like a gameboy or some other portable gaming system. Stand around with other people. If a cop shows up, look like you are minding your own business playing your game. Be subtle. Fly the plane out of his sight and land it if you have to.
I did not save the link but I will find it again and post the link. Just give me a little time since I am at work and doing all this through my phone. Lol.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:09 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

This is seriously old news. The AMA was warning us about this about a year ago, and thanks to this law, you now don't see dirt bikes and ATVs designed for people under 16 at most dealerships because they were banned pending certification under the law and now most dealerships are afraid of legal action if they sell one even though there has been a stay of enforcement. This is a very misguided piece of legislation the intent of which is spoiled by improper evaluation of the context of the "lead hazard" and disregard for real-world usage of these items. When kids are eating tire valve stems and battery plates and carberator gaskets, I think you've got more worries than lead exposure.

edit: I see someone beat me to the atv/minibike reference.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Access

The whole lead thing is a myth anyways. Something like arsenic is much more dangerous than lead, but it is allowed without question into the same things they try to remove lead from. Gallium Arsenide for instance is used in LEDs, solar cells, integrated circuits, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._1_carcinogens

Lead doesn't even make the list of group 1 carcinogens...
There are much worse things than lead out there, it's just not politically expedient to do anything about them.

If you go here, lead is a class 2a which means only 'probably' carcinogenic to humans.
http://monographs.iarc.fr/ENG/Classification/index.php
Old 06-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Barber420
My Feedback: (1)

HerrSavavage don't take this as an attack cuz I keep responding a lot to what you say. I just enjoy debating. The thing with the RC planes is that you can't even fly one that you bought at Wal-Mart. Its a toy not hobby grade. Another thing about the ordinance is that it says you can't fly unless you are in a designated area set aside by the County. Well Dade county has no designated flying areas for the modeler. So what is the point in having a law saying you can fly in a designated area when there is no designated area. It makes no sense. In order to fly you have to drive up to the next county in Broward. They have plenty of parks that accommodate the flyer and RC Driver alike.
The US government does these kinds of things all of the time!! They've been doing it basically since the inception of the country. Their are only a couple of other similar situations I can think of at the moment, but they involve Absynth and Marijuana. It used to be that Marijuana was legal if you had marijuana stamps, trouble was, you couldn't buy the stamps ANYWHERE!!! Timothy Leary got this law repealed for a year or two in the late sixties until the government just straight outlawed it. Absynth, you're allowed to posess it and consume it, however, liquor stores are not allowed to sell it. So, as long as your importing it from Prague or something you're alright, but if your local party store sells it to you they can get arrestted! The US is FULL of these kinds of laws! It's ridiculous, but people in power can get the best of both worlds that way. They keep the people that want things legal thinking they still at least have some sort of option, and they keep the people who want it illegal happy by having a law about it on the books.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:49 PM
BuzzBomber
My Feedback: (4)

I don't think the reason for this law is anything to do with lead as a carcinogen, rather it's the fact that high levels of lead exposure lead to neurological impairment in still-growing brains, leading to M.R. and other disorders. That's why the law is tailored to products used by children. On another note, another CPSC law back in 1997(I think) led to the requirement that CCA-treated lumber be removed from playgrounds(hey it gave my company work doing re-designs for those affected playgrounds) so the arsenic issue has been addressed to some degree in the past. WRT all these safety laws, remember the old idiom, "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."
Old 06-30-2009, 03:08 PM
The Mad Modder

ORIGINAL: dragracedude

yeah, bad laws suck. and please, don't bash on the other political party
Doesn't make a difference nowadays. All politicians are the same. They're crooked and like taking away our rights.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Soaring Steve

They are considering a law here in California that will require smog checks for lawnmowers. Im looking to get out asap. But where to go? Obama is going to tax us wherever we are....
Old 06-30-2009, 05:33 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My suggestion is that anyone living in CA who is disgruntled, move to greener pastures.
You'll not only be doing yourself a favor, but also easing my traffic conjestion.
Y'all can sweat it out, freeze your bullocks off, have 80% of your plans ruined by weather...
and when it is a nice sunny day, the humidity is brutal.
I'll take San Diego over virtually anywhere in the entire world.
But take my word for it...you wouldn't like it here
Old 06-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

My suggestion is that anyone living in CA who is disgruntled, move to greener pastures.
You'll not only be doing yourself a favor, but also easing my traffic conjestion.
Y'all can sweat it out, freeze your bullocks off, have 80% of your plans ruined by weather...
and when it is a nice sunny day, the humidity is brutal.
I'll take San Diego over virtually anywhere in the entire world.
But take my word for it...you wouldn't like it here
I lived in San Marcos and loved every moment of it. Its one of the places Im looking at moving back to.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:45 PM
monsterbombs

back to rc- i know its nothing compared to other stupid laws, but we were
told are rock crawlers are not allowed in the bush because "no recreational
4wdriving of any kind is permitted"- ok it was the hills and national park
area, but come on.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:09 PM
quietnas1

Wow on the rock crawler. That is nuts. I mean reakky how much damage can a small car that only weighs a few pounds and goes a max of about 5mph do. That is crazy.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:17 PM
quietnas1

ORIGINAL: Access

I did not save the link but I will find it again and post the link. Just give me a little time since I am at work and doing all this through my phone. Lol.
I actually sent an e mail to miami dade.gov. Just got a reply from the web master saying they are processing my question asap. I will keep you posted.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Jack the R

Good grief, no one is [link=http://www.autoblog.com/2009/03/29/follow-up-carb-says-just-kidding-about-banning-black-paint/]banning black cars![/link] Autoblog blew it and issued a retraction later on.

If you hear a crazy story on the internet chances are it is just that - a crazy story on the internet. This goes double if it is backed by the "authority" of Glenn Beck or drug addict Rush Limbaugh.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 PM
hairy46

We the sheeple if we are not paying attention will lose all we have! They are trying to pass a law now that if your house does not meet thier stupid green agenda you can not sell it till it does! That would meen putting in a new furness or even cooking stove, new roof you name it! Here in the USA they are saying global warming and we are just getting some warm weather! around the world they are no longer buying it! I never did because when I was a kid it was not called global warming it was called seasons! Well as oh Al said a leaperd can't change his stripes!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:49 PM
hairy46

These are not just crazy stories they are happening! Who would have thought the Gov would own GM a Dodge and banks! HMMMMMM!
Old 06-30-2009, 09:57 PM
Jack the R

So how many healthy companies has the government "taken over?"

Seems to me the companies you mention ran themselves into the ground (and I'm a GM and Dodge guy, gotta Riviera and a Charger) and then went looking for the government to save them.

Did you want to give them billions of dollars with no ownership?

I'll take as much money as you want to give me if there's no strings attached.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:11 PM
hairy46

Yes Gov jumped in and saved them and now they are bankrupt! Nothing should have been done! Your side is batting a thousand been wrong every time!
Old 06-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Bill Martovich
My Feedback: (11)

I always agree with Rush Limbaugh, He's one of the last voices of sanity on national media. along with Hannity and Beck these guy's may save the nation. from the wacko in the white house.

Wemart
Old 06-30-2009, 10:34 PM
quietnas1

Guys we do need to open our eyes. We have been slowly losing our freedoms for a long time now. It has nothing to do with party affiliation. I am dissapointed with both. And both are taking us down the same path. In his last visit to Harlem New York Fidel Castro said in a speach that the United States will fall to socialism with out a shot ever being fired. It was crazy to see how many Americans were applauding him. And he was rite. We are heading down a dangerous path. We need to stand up call our senators and congressman and let them know what we want. They work for us. Our tax dollars pay their salaries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.