Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Alm Meca Turbines

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Alm Meca Turbines

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2022, 03:25 AM
j.p.fillon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a Frenchman, I am very happy to see French-made turbines arriving.
But I'm a little disappointed that the manufacturer did not opt for
entry, with really new elements:
- ecu, with modern functions, rather than a 10 year old ecu.
- solenoid valves not integrated.
- Brushed rather than brushless motors.
- The price : 2750 E for A 180
2250 E for Xicoy 180
Old 11-24-2022, 02:02 PM
Piggy18

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Honest question here Im struggling to find a reason as to why id pay more for this turbine vs say for example a new Swiwin for less money, especially when the parts, repair and service will be cheaper and not forgetting it comes with much newer tech and the brand will be here for a long time to come.

Last edited by Piggy18; 11-24-2022 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 04:21 PM
peter 098

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Piggy18
Honest question here I’m struggling to find a reason as to why id pay more for this turbine vs say for example a new Swiwin for less money, especially when the parts, repair and service will be cheaper and not forgetting it comes with much newer tech and the brand will be here for a long time to come.
It’s all about what you want, some things you may consider are life time warranty on all the internal turbine parts which is a big plus. Also not sure how much you fly but you could get away with 50 hours of service time out of this turbine, double what you could get from most of the brands which is also a plus otherwise if you don’t hit that mark within 2 years you do have to send in. The 2 year mark is something we are discussing and will be revised hopefully. It’s all about preference, from what I’m seeing and hearing I do believe swiwin is also a very good brand and I have seen nothing but good come from them. The alm meca does also come with a truly beautifully cncd turbine mount, nicer that what all the other brands do. Hard work did go into this turbine with a lot of thought behind it and things will definitely be developing. The fuel pump ecu case is currently in the process being developed out of aluminum. It hard to make a choice currently with all the different turbines on the market.
Old 11-24-2022, 04:40 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 235 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Piggy18
Honest question here I’m struggling to find a reason as to why id pay more for this turbine vs say for example a new Swiwin for less money, especially when the parts, repair and service will be cheaper and not forgetting it comes with much newer tech and the brand will be here for a long time to come.

there isnt a good reason
The following users liked this post:
Dansy (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 05:19 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 164 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by peter 098
It’s all about what you want, some things you may consider are life time warranty on all the internal turbine parts which is a big plus. Also not sure how much you fly but you could get away with 50 hours of service time out of this turbine, double what you could get from most of the brands which is also a plus otherwise if you don’t hit that mark within 2 years you do have to send in. The 2 year mark is something we are discussing and will be revised hopefully. It’s all about preference, from what I’m seeing and hearing I do believe swiwin is also a very good brand and I have seen nothing but good come from them. The alm meca does also come with a truly beautifully cncd turbine mount, nicer that what all the other brands do. Hard work did go into this turbine with a lot of thought behind it and things will definitely be developing. The fuel pump ecu case is currently in the process being developed out of aluminum. It hard to make a choice currently with all the different turbines on the market.
I said it before, no way you can fly 50 hrs in 2 years….unless you have only one jet…and you fly a lot and I mean a lot, 50hrs with 6-7 minutes takes a while….warranty mean nothing to me…..old technology on the other hand mean a lot….to most, not even sure if you can still get telemetry device for this old ECU ?
Old 11-24-2022, 05:43 PM
peter 098

Originally Posted by Dansy
I said it before, no way you can fly 50 hrs in 2 years….unless you have only one jet…and you fly a lot and I mean a lot, 50hrs with 6-7 minutes takes a while….warranty mean nothing to me…..old technology on the other hand mean a lot….to most, not even sure if you can still get telemetry device for this old ECU ?

Not really, if you fly once a week at least 5 times every weekly for the two years and you fly at 7 min. You are able to hit that mark.
Old 11-24-2022, 06:04 PM
Dansy

Not really, if you fly once a week at least 5 times every weekly for the two years and you fly at 7 min. You are able to hit that mark.
Like I said with one jet…..I guess at the price this motor is…..that’s all they will be affording LOL
Old 11-24-2022, 07:55 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

The lifetime warranty (and I know I'm going to get flamed for this) is a brilliant marketing plan. It's guaranteed service well ahead of the time most all engine actually would NEED service. The reality is, the chances of a turbine failing and needing warranty before 25 (or even 50) hours is slim. But a guaranteed income of a few hundred dollars for every engine out there at specified service intervals is a great idea for the manufacture to offset the cost of any potential warranty issues. It is far more likely for an engine to be damaged in a crash or by fod than a failure requiring warranty.

My AMT's only have a 1 year warranty but a 100hr recommended service intervals. When I bought the engine for my firebird I wanted an engine from a manufacture who had that 100 hour faith in their product.

So you get a lifetime marketing scheme, bigger size and older technology for more money than a xicoy 180. Thank God for a pretty turbine mount that's hidden inside the jet!
Old 11-24-2022, 09:42 PM
peter 098

Like I said with one jet…..I guess at the price this motor is…..that’s all they will be affording LOL

Pretty much the same price as all the other brand/sizes. But thanks
Old 11-25-2022, 02:06 AM
invertmast

you keep stating the price is similar and the specs are similar, but you keep refusing to let it through your brain dome.

the TECHNOLOGY these turbines use is multiple generations older than what is currently on the market. That in and of itself makes this turbine over priced for the value of what you get.

when you go buy a new car, do you go and look for a 6 year old vehicle with zero miles that is the same price as a brand new current model year vehicle? No, you dont, so why would you expect to receive these positively when even your comparisons make assumptions of other brands and/or you provide specs for this brand that arent even industry standard (Ie fuel consumptions that aren’t at full power).
Old 11-25-2022, 04:57 AM
Dansy

‘They are way more expensive, since they are old model with old technology, I guess you really don’t get it….

I’m guessing your pretty new in the jet side of RC, and you don’t understand the technology on the newer motors from all the different brand, like I said before specs is one thing….but there’s a lot more to it.

Last edited by Dansy; 11-25-2022 at 05:01 AM.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:13 AM
peter 098

Originally Posted by invertmast
you keep stating the price is similar and the specs are similar, but you keep refusing to let it through your brain dome.

the TECHNOLOGY these turbines use is multiple generations older than what is currently on the market. That in and of itself makes this turbine over priced for the value of what you get.

when you go buy a new car, do you go and look for a 6 year old vehicle with zero miles that is the same price as a brand new current model year vehicle? No, you dont, so why would you expect to receive these positively when even your comparisons make assumptions of other brands and/or you provide specs for this brand that arent even industry standard (Ie fuel consumptions that aren’t at full power).

Yup, I do go for the older car. Less technology and new innovations that could break and will usually last a lot longer. Less that will leave you stranded on the side of the road.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:17 AM
peter 098

‘They are way more expensive, since they are old model with old technology, I guess you really don’t get it….

I’m guessing your pretty new in the jet side of RC, and you don’t understand the technology on the newer motors from all the different brand, like I said before specs is one thing….but there’s a lot more to it.
Ok, what ever you say. Seems you know everything.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:28 AM
peter 098

Originally Posted by invertmast

It’s the same when you are heading down the highway, the semi’s that are on the side of the road broken down. Most, if not all, are newer trucks. There is a reason the new $200k semi’s are on the side of the road while the pre e book trucks are running down the road. Less technology and innovative features cause less to break.
Old 11-25-2022, 09:53 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Getting popcorn 🍿
jcterrettaz (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 10:31 AM
LGM Graphix

Yup, I do go for the older car. Less technology and new innovations that could break and will usually last a lot longer. Less that will leave you stranded on the side of the road.
See I'd go for the older vehicle too but only if it was priced as such.
example: I have zero interest in all the telemetry stuff in today's radios such as the powerbox core. That being the case I struggle with paying the price for so many features I won't use. If they brought out a core with the same quality radio link and the basic features I need, mixing, dual rates, etc but none of the telemetry or internet ability I'd buy that radio BUT! Only if it was significantly cheaper. If the full feature core is $3000 I'd expect a basic one without all those features to be $2000. If they were both the same price I'd buy the one with all the features.

I love old tech turbines because nobody wants them anymore so I can buy them for dirt cheap compared to a brand new current engine. If I was being forced to pay brand new money you can bet that I'm going to buy the latest and greatest.
But as I say, the consumer will decide with their wallets. There is nothing innovative about this engine to make someone choose it over the xicoy or king tech etc. If you want to pay extra for old tech hey, good on ya. But man people are giving feedback about this engine and you are trying to argue with what the market actually wants.
Old 11-25-2022, 10:39 AM
LGM Graphix

The Xicoy 180 is 500 euros less expensive than this alm meca turbine and with arguably the most current and innovative technology on the market from someone who has been a major player in model turbine development and manufacturing for decades. It's far smaller as well so how can you keep saying your engine is the same price and size as the competition?
jcterrettaz (11-25-2022)
Old 11-25-2022, 11:24 AM
invertmast

once again you only read and respond to what you choose to in order to be “right” which makes you miss the point completely, which is why people arent taking this brand turbine or you seriously.

i asked do you go and buy a OLDER car for the SAME price as the newer car, when condition wise they are the same, but technologically speaking, the older vehicle is inferior.

obviously no one is going to pay the same price for a car that is a few generations older than the latest and greatest one, they are going to expect the older generation one for cheaper.

its just like a dealership trying to sell the 2022 model years before the 2023’s come in, bc on e those 2023’s hit the lot, the 2022’s become worth less.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:34 AM
Skunkwrks

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
Exclamation

popcorn ........!
Old 11-25-2022, 11:59 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

Quit bickering or I'll be forced to start having some one on one conversations. The kind of conversation that usually end with your posts needing approval before showing up.

Don't report each others comments you don't like, feel free to report comments that break the rules, if you don't know the rules, spend a few minutes reading them.

Feel free to move forward with technical discussions on the turbines themselves.
Thanks

Old 11-25-2022, 02:00 PM
Skunkwrks

Arrow

Old 11-25-2022, 02:22 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

There’s one point for sure that the xicoy turbine is far better turbine than alm meca at least this company and the person who created it is well known around for years and the turbines are good and reliable not mentioned the price difference, 500 euros is a lot’s of money, specially if you’re having a choice to spend it on something that you know or something that just isn’t well known yet, there long list of new turbines that just don’t exist today and some people who spend their money to get those probably won’t do that again on new product that hasn’t been tested and proven for years .
Old 11-26-2022, 12:02 AM
David Gladwin

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
If they brought out a core with the same quality radio link and the basic features I need, mixing, dual rates, etc but none of the telemetry or internet ability I'd buy that radio BUT! Only if it was significantly cheaper. If the full feature core is $3000 I'd expect a basic one without all those features to be $2000. If they were both the same price I'd buy the one with all the features.

Powerbox have addressed that issue.The ATOM actually retains most of the features but is almost 1000 dollars, Euros cheaper. Same rf link etc.but fewer, 18, channels. Same build quality.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 11-26-2022 at 02:27 AM.
Old 11-26-2022, 05:11 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

Actually the Atom retains the wifi link for system updates, and has the same telemetry system @1875 and they are 10% off till the 28th of November for Black Friday special so under 1700 with free shipping right now

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 11-26-2022 at 05:14 AM.
Skunkwrks (11-27-2022)
Old 11-28-2022, 08:50 AM
Skunkwrks

Originally Posted by David Gladwin
Powerbox have addressed that issue.The ATOM actually retains most of the features but is almost 1000 dollars, Euros cheaper. Same rf link etc.but fewer, 18, channels. Same build quality.
What issues did PB have to deal with on the Atom radio?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.