Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

"NOS" on a jet?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

"NOS" on a jet?

Old 01-23-2004, 08:57 PM
raptor5900
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "NOS" on a jet?

Hi guy i was wondering if you could use "NOS" or nitrus oxide on a jet engine to give it alittle more umph? I know this is used in high performance cars and boats.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:05 PM
exaustgas
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: "NOS" on a jet?

You could turn up the pump voltage!

BTW: AMA doesnt allow stuff like that

Ted V.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:07 AM
erazz

Sorry, won't work.

Nitrus oxide gives more power in internal combustion engines because it packs more oxygen in the c.c. allowing you to pack more fuel in. In a sense a turbo charger has the same effect.

Jet engines already work in an abundance of oxygen. To increase the power of a jet engine you just add more fuel. The limit being the rpm and temp of the turbine wheel.
Old 01-24-2004, 09:15 AM
raptor5900

ok thanks guys
Old 01-24-2004, 09:26 AM
SJN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how about some water/methanol injection then :-)
Old 01-24-2004, 09:46 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a little unclear on the water injection. I thought I read on the ama site that water injection is legal as long as the manuf. performed the tests, or something like that.?
Old 01-27-2004, 04:39 AM
CobraJet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NOS? NAWWS? How bout N2O?

NOS is a brand name. Not practical on a jet turbine but should work on a 2 or 4 stroke model engine if you can work through the additional fuel flow issues and onboard high-pressure bottle.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:02 AM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Methinks people need to read the AMA Safety Code again.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:07 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Hold on a second here guys, I see no reason why nitrous oxide would not work with a turbine. After all, its just another method to get more O2 in there for combustion. You can either put on a bigger (or more efficient) compressor wheel, spin the one you got faster, or dump in nitrous. Spinning the one ya got faster may not always be possible if you are near the limits of the bearing system already. But adding nitrous, I expect would be a pain. You’d have to have it timed so that it ramps up and not just dumps a bunch of extra oxidizer in there. And then it would have to ramp down too. And then there’s the weight of the extra gear. Yes, I suspect its possible, but in actuality no one would ever bother because you could get the same effect by going up to a larger compressor wheel and stay at the same or lower RPM.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:17 AM
csisfun

Someone's been playing too many computer games [8D][8D][8D].

Ugh. I've thought about this before, but since n2o is impossible to obtain here, i might as well give up.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:25 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I did not mean to infer that one should side step the AMA rules. But this could be done by some of you "dried lake bed" guys!

But more realistically, all you probably do is melt some Inconel!
Old 01-27-2004, 11:47 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

C'mmon, you guys mean to tell me that you never experiment outside AMA parameters? Where is the fun?

BTW, Im not saying to go experiment on a Sunday morning with expectators everywhere, Im just saying that modelers should go ahead and experiement. Yes I think NOS will boost performance at the expense of early wear of bearings and components. And that is my $150 an hour opinion.

It would be interesting to predict what the exhaust fluid would consist of, I wish I had my Thermo/Mass Transfer books handy.
Old 01-27-2004, 12:03 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

FalconWings,
I think there's experimentation going on, it's just not discussed on RCU or other public forums. There was a thread a while ago about someone wanting to experiment with afterburners. When he asked for information/advice, a lot of people jumped on him saying AMA doesn't allow it. He wasn't planning on using an afterburner, just wanted try and see if he could make one work. Of course AMA can't stop someone experimenting in his workshop but a lot of turbine modelers and leaders are terrified that if something goes wrong with an experiment there will be retribution by the AMA against all turbine modelers.
BRG,
Jon
Old 01-27-2004, 01:01 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

F106,

Thanks for the info. Im pretty sure that there has got to be a lot going on behind the scenes. I wish I could hear about it more often, but again, AMA has got JP4's by the *****. I don't fly JP's myself, and do not plan to in the near future but I can tell that the turbine population feel very intimidated about the AMA and their policies, sometimes settling for whatever AMA chooses to approve/disapprove. I find this sad sometimes. I wish there were more options to AMA, that way a market would be established for modeling insurance and the "offer" would improve, but I guess it has been tried in the past without success. Whatever happened to Sport Aviation? I have not heard of them for a long while.

If anybody has any info on the "afterburner" project, any links please post!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2004, 01:25 PM
F106A

Falcon,
Here it is:http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_95.../tm.htm#953016
Jon
Old 01-27-2004, 09:45 PM
Wayne22

You can either put on a bigger (or more efficient) compressor wheel, spin the one you got faster, or dump in nitrous. Spinning the one ya got faster may not always be possible if you are near the limits of the bearing system already. But adding nitrous, I expect would be a pain. You’d have to have it timed so that it ramps up and not just dumps a bunch of extra oxidizer in there.

okay. lets take this a step further ( since we are only doing it on paper <wink&gt ...add more oxidizer in the combustion chamber.....to make use of it, you have to add more fuel....which would increase combustion temp and pressure in the combustion chamber...now we have to get this high energy mass out the tail cone, but first it has to pass through the turbine wheel....If this can be done successfully, the result should be more thrust (maybe lots more....) but I think getting past the turbine wheel will violate both temperature and RPM limits of the engine itself.....

However, if we took a compressor from an MW-44 and grafted it on to the power section of a p-160.................