Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Attention Jet Modelers- Identity Theft/Harassement

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Attention Jet Modelers- Identity Theft/Harassement

Old 10-03-2005, 06:40 PM
barneybaru
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention Jet Modelers- Identity Theft/Harassement

Fellow Modelers,
On the evening of Sep 29, @10:20pm Shaun Evans aka "YellowAircraft" posted a picture of me (clipped from BVM website), my home phone number, my occupation and the town in which I reside on craigslist.org under the men seeking men forum.

I started recieving vulgar phone calls around 10:30 pm. I was in the house with my 3 children and their grandparents.
After one of the vulgar callers revealled I was on craigslist I immediately did a search on Google and then craigslist and found to my horror the"post" with my picture, phone number, occupation and town of residence.
The phone had to be disconnected after the 4th call.

I immediately sent an email to the abuse people at craiglist. I believe they pulled the listing by 1:00 am with apologies.
Quote from craigslist:
Hi Paul,
>
> Apologies for the hassle -- that post has been removed. We have also taken
> steps that should help prevent this from happening again.
>
> Since this post appears to be an attempt to impersonate you for the purpose
> of
> harassment, we can give you the details we have about it:
>
> ************************************************** ************************
> PostingID: 100929889
> FromEMail: [email protected]
> PosterIP: 68.101.219.157

Craigslist provided me with same information they provide law enforcement in response to search warrants and subpoenas.
The PosterIP matches the one Shaun uses on to log on to RCU: 68.101.219.157. It s been verified.

Needless to say, I did an IP search and came up with a location close to where Shaun lives. I pm'd him that evening (he was online) and he claimed he knew nothing of what I was talking about.

On Sep 30th @ 4:00pm we had a heated phone conversation where he adamantly denied it 3 different times. He claimed he would never mess with another mans family. He chose to continue to lie.

I live one block where the VanDam girl was abducted, raped, murdered and then her body burned. I am hypersensitive to what predators are capable of. Shaun has exposed my family to a plethora of indignities be it professional and personal.

We all rib each other once and again but this is poor judgement at its extreme. This was malicious harassment nothing less.
I thought you ought to know what and who Shaun Evans is.

Regards,
Paul Bageman

Old 10-03-2005, 06:47 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Attention Jet Modelers- Identity Theft/Harassement

If it was him, what was the motive? Is there an ongoing dispute between the two of you?
Old 10-03-2005, 06:47 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

well, that sounds like BS to me if that is what happened.
cant beleive someone would do that? I am always amazed at what
I read here every day. this one takes the cakes.

sorry for your troubles. the 3 little ones need a good father like you
Old 10-03-2005, 07:07 PM
sandslx
My Feedback: (1)

There are no "ifs" ladies and gentleman. These are the facts. I just can not believe someone would stoop to that level. You all know I enjoy a good "tune up" but this is way over the top. I think He should be banned permanently.

Justin Sands
Old 10-03-2005, 07:13 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Bags, I'm not sure how or when I pissed in your cornflakes, or deserved the below PM, but I assure you, on your list of people to be angry with, I should not be there, just trying to better understand the issue since you've brought it out publically. I'm not sure why you call me useless.

There was no if Sean he did it.
I wouldn't accuse him of it with out proof.

Do me a favor stay off this thread you useless.

Bags
Old 10-03-2005, 07:15 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

While what he allegedly did is not "NICE" by any level, did he violate any RCU rules? While he and I have had our little battles too, I don’t see it being and RCU problem.

Now a bigger punishment would be to not ban but post a sticky at the top just like the Jet Rally events LOL. I see this thread getting erased soon though

ORIGINAL: sandslx

There are no "ifs" ladies and gentleman. These are the facts. I just can not believe someone would stoop to that level. You all know I enjoy a good "tune up" but this is way over the top. I think He should be banned permanently.

Justin Sands
Old 10-03-2005, 07:21 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 07:23 PM
jedijingle
My Feedback: (45)

IP addys are not attached to a persons finger typing. They in Fact can be easily hacked into. An IP addy is not proof enough, especially if someone is using wireless. I Talk to Mr. Evans from time to time and am aware of the details behind all this hoopla and know that he did not do, what he is being accused of. Hummmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:23 PM
barneybaru

ORIGINAL: seanreit

Hey Bags, I'm not sure how or when I pissed in your cornflakes, or deserved the below PM, but I assure you, on your list of people to be angry with, I should not be there, just trying to better understand the issue since you've brought it out publically. I'm not sure why you call me useless.

There was no if Sean he did it.
I wouldn't accuse him of it with out proof.

Do me a favor stay off this thread you useless.

Bags
Sean,
Clearly the seriousness of this has escaped you. The mear inference of doubt provided by your "if" statement can only lead me to believe you don't understand what I wrote. So your continued posts on this thread will have little or no value ie your posts are useless in this thread. Do I make my self clear?
Old 10-03-2005, 07:28 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

I definately think this thread should be deleted. The most this may have been was a prank that was simply irraticated within a short amount of time that lead to 4 phone calls. I don't think this is worth trying to destroy someones business over. I don't see how kids ect could have heard these phone conversations if it was 10:30 at night when kids are usually sleep and this really sounds like something taking way out of proportion and made to sound more serious than it really is. At the best the original post is only a small portion of a much larger story.

This was malicious harassment nothing less.
[&o]

Come on!!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 07:32 PM
sandslx

Your thoughts intrigue me.... can I subscribe to your news letter.

Justin
Old 10-03-2005, 07:33 PM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

ORIGINAL: barneybaru

Sean,
Clearly the seriousness of this has escaped you. The mear inference of doubt provided by your "if" statement can only lead me to believe you don't understand what I wrote. So your continued posts on this thread will have little or no value ie your posts are useless in this thread. Do I make my self clear?
Dude if you make a post everyone is not going to agree with you. And what may be BAD in "your world" may not be so bad in the minds of others. If you don't want others opinions don't post on RCU, and don't try and call other peoples post useless! As this entire thread will undoubtedly be proven to be useless after it is deleted!!!!
Old 10-03-2005, 07:42 PM
barneybaru

ORIGINAL: mugenkidd

ORIGINAL: barneybaru

Sean,
Dude if you make a post everyone is not going to agree with you. And what may be BAD in "your world" may not be so bad in the minds of others. If you don't want others opinions don't post on RCU, and don't try and call other peoples post useless! As this entire thread will undoubtedly be proven to be useless after it is deleted!!!!
Kidd,
Thanks for your opinion but I guess when someone lies and then lies again you're OK with that. Thanks for clairvoyant insight, but I won't be referencing anytime soon.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:49 PM
ghost_rider

This is a strong allegation and I would keep this thread open until we hear Shaun's side of the story.
I know this is not Jets related but since this has been viewed by many Jet forum members, I think it would be appropriate to hear from Shaun before closing this thread.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:52 PM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I had an "unpleasant exchange" with another RCU member a while back and I received a PM from Shaun to try to smooth things over. I wish I had saved the PM because it sure did not sound like the same person you are accusing.

BTW
On the evening of Oct 29
Today is Oct 03.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:06 PM
jetace11

I'm 23,and judging by the threads that come on this jet forum I could swear that I was the oldest with this demonstration of maturity.[sm=tired.gif]

Why can't we all just get along??[]
Old 10-03-2005, 08:16 PM
t_burley
My Feedback: (59)

ORIGINAL: mugenkidd

I definately think this thread should be deleted. The most this may have been was a prank that was simply irraticated within a short amount of time that lead to 4 phone calls. I don't think this is worth trying to destroy someones business over. I don't see how kids ect could have heard these phone conversations if it was 10:30 at night when kids are usually sleep and this really sounds like something taking way out of proportion and made to sound more serious than it really is. At the best the original post is only a small portion of a much larger story.

This was malicious harassment nothing less.
[&o]

Come on!!!!

a malicious prank? he posted his info without his permission on a rather "different" website?
dont think it was just a simple prank to me
Old 10-03-2005, 08:17 PM
barneybaru

Shaun,
You have read this thread I am waiting for your response or an apology.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul Bageman, et al...

This situation was unfortunate enough before, but this thread, unfortunately takes it down a few rungs even yet. As I told you over the phone, in a PM and offered to tell you face to face--I am not your man. Now, you have chosen to allege clearly and plainly on this public forum that I am. Since, Sir, you are in error--that creates a new set of problems for you. Basically, you have now libeled me. You have communicated to numerous third parties damaging and traducing statements that you will not ultimately be able to prove are true.

For the Interested Readers, a little bit of background:

It's no secret to anyone who reads RCU jet forums that there has long been bad blood between Paul Bageman and me. If one goes back and looks at all these old threads, it's very clear who the antagonist is. Paul's actions on RCU (his anonymous flaming and attacks and refusal to stop hiding behind false identities) got him banned for a time. Once he got back in, he immediately went to work starting trouble with me again. What he now calls 'chiding' and 'ribbing' have never been anything of the sort. His anonymous attacks, and those of some of his buddies here on RCU (namely, Justin Sands) have never been harmless in nature as there is no amicable foundation or background for harmless humor between us. Rather, as an epic chronicle of emails among us would attest to, there has been a seething feud between us for a long time. So, when the question is asked, 'What's behind all of this?'--there is part of the answer.

The REAL facts:

After Paul's reappearance on RCU, I again began to share this saga with several of my friends (some of them modelers, some not). During the last saga, there was a group of about twenty individuals monitoring (and laughing at) all of the 'e-brawl' goings-on on RCU and calling or emailing/PMing me to share their thoughts and ruminations about them. When this began to flare back up, some of these same people reconvened took notice and we again began to talk about Paul and this situation. On the day in question, I had a visit from a modeler friend (who was not completely up to speed on all of the history). Over some beers, and over the course of a few hours, we re-read many of the emails and posts between he and I. Also present in the get-together was a friend and boarder (I have a three-bedroom townhouse and have rented the smallest room to boarders for years), and the boarder's younger brother.

After I had long-since gone to bed, my boarder and his younger brother (both convinced that Paul was a world-class jerk) decided to play a joke. Without my consent or knowledge, they decided to post a want-ad on a gay website. They simply googled Paul to find a photo, and went to the internet white pages to find a phone number. The next morning, I had calls and emails from Paul about the matter. At that point, I had no idea of what he was talking about. In our 'heated conversation', he mentioned the email address that was involved. I immediately recognized it, because it was one of the temporary sub-accounts that I set up on my master email for my boarder (who pays a portion of the cost of the service) until he had his own ISP set up. We have cable internet with a router. Now, as Paul will have to admit, I never denied knowing who actually did this. In fact, at one point Paul said something to the effect of !QUOT!You may not have had your fingers on the keyboard, but I think you're behind this...!QUOT! To that statement, I replied, !QUOT!Well, I have my ideas, but I have to look into it. I'm not going to go off half-cocked like you have.!QUOT! I also added that I intended to get to the bottom of it, and that I was going to think about what to do next. He advised that if I knew who it was, I had better 'give him up.' I told him quite frankly that I was not sure if I was willing to do that because I was not much of a snitch. We also discussed the fact that while I empathized with him as a fellow family-man, I did not (especially in light of our history) owe him any loyalty or anything which would compel me to 'give up' the culprit.

Later that day, this individual came back to the house and I was waiting to ask him about the matter. He cheerfully and proudly admitted that he had done it, and explained how. After a long sigh, I initiated what turned out to be a not-so-friendly discussion about the possible implications of his action. He did not think it was a big deal, but, rather funny. I admitted that while I momentarily thought that the notion of a guy (who had long been such a thorn in my side) getting amorous overtures in the night from strange gay men was at least mildly funny--that the notion of having such personal information out in cyberworld wasn't very funny. He reminded me that all of the personal information was already in cyberworld, and again insisted that his practical joke was being taken too seriously. By the end of this discussion, I had demanded that he contact Paul and discuss the matter with him so that I would not be caught in the middle. He refused. I did, however, persuade him to write and sign a statement under my and my wife's witness, detailing the events. I then went on record, detailing the specifics of the event with several friends (a few of whom are RCU members), a neighbor who is a police officer, and the Internet service provider. All of this before Paul ever made this public accusation.

Now, had he stated that he thought I was indirectly involved, or that I had knowledge or information about the guilty party, I wouldn't have too much of a problem with this. Instead, he has come onto this forum and misstated the facts as an obvious attempt to derogate me and my reputation with my fellow modelers. It truly was my intention to furnish Paul with all the facts I had, especially since I kicked this individual out of my house subsequent to this incident. I was shocked to see this thread, though, and having accused me this way has obviously removed any empathy I may have felt. Paul, this was a mistake. I have saved the content of this thread, and will be forwarding it, along with the rest of the pertinent information, to my attorney.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:37 PM
barneybaru

Guess the problems go to court. See ya there.

Fact: It was your computer
Fact: It was your email sub account

Folks: Just like I said.

Fact: YellowAircraft was online while I was going through this nightmare on the night of Sept 29. I witnessed it!

Your denial is a grand admission. I couldn't have thought that one up if I tried.

Then the fantasy starts. You might want to reread your post Shaun it doesn't make sense.

Old 10-03-2005, 08:54 PM
ghost_rider

OK, we've heard from both parties involved. Closing this one in 60 minutes unless if anybody could give me a reason to leave it open

Old 10-03-2005, 10:12 PM
sandslx

back by popular demand
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93605.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	333654  
Old 10-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul,

That is was MY computer is NOT a fact. My modem, yes. That I was online is NOT a fact. RCU's log can attest to the fact that I am often 'on' for days at a time.

I do not care in the least what you think of my account of this. Again, I am on record with this. I actually attempted to file a police report (after your initial threat), but was advised by the Duty Sergeant of the Eastern Division of the San Diego Police Department that what this individual did is, if anything, a civil matter and that no crime was committed. That is why I went to my neighbor. While he couldn't take an official police report, he filled out and dated a 'field interview' slip containing the same account of this incident that I have given here. What matters is that you have libeled me here, and I will not stand for it. If, in fact, you decide to take this to the next level--I am prepared for that. You, however, are not.

Justin,

It tickles me that an individual as willing to be dishonest as you has the gumption to accuse me of dishonesty. Were you not yourself admonished by RCU for creating yet another fake account that you used to come in and pretend to be an unbiased, inquisitive modeler for the purpose of bashing me and the Yellow Aircraft F-15? Did you not pretend to be a spectator at a jet event and a newbie looking for help and answers on what F-15 to buy? You were caught, and some moderator graciously closed the thread before too many people could read about your doings.

For the record: I do not condone what happened. I am sensitive (as a father of a child and the head of a household) to the idea of unwanted phone calls in the middle of the night. I do think all this talk of the sad case of Danielle Van Dam is a bit on the dramatic side. The facts of that case have absolutely nothing whatsoever in common with this situation.

Anyone wishing to discuss this matter with me is welcome to call. I appreciate the PMs, calls and emails I've gotten so far. Thanks for considering both sides, and thank you Moderators for leaving this up long enough for me to speak my peace.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:02 PM
ghost_rider

ORIGINAL: ghost_rider

OK, we've heard from both parties involved. Closing this one in 60 minutes unless if anybody could give me a reason to leave it open

Without any objections........closing this one.