Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Turbine Rules Pass

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Turbine Rules Pass

Old 02-08-2004, 11:45 PM
Kevin_W
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: New Turbine Rules Pass

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

ORIGINAL: RPMTech1
Still REALLY BUGS ME about that single turbine thrust limitation though. [&o]
Not to speak for the TRC or EC, but I think you might want to look at it a different way. THe single turbine thrust has gone UP from 35 to 45 pounds. There is no penalty.

We are lucky to have the extra 5 pounds for a twin. They could have just said all planes are 45.
Matt,
You are correct, that was exactly our thinking when the rule was written.

Reid,
In a democratic system (which the AMA actually is despite many individual's opinions to the contrary) EVERY rule is somewhat of a compromise. We would never have been able to write a set of rules that everyone will be completely happy with, but I think the new rules that Steven, Gordon, Terry, Joe, Jim, and myself came up with are a huge improvement over the old regulations which had been cobbled together over the last 7 years and were originally written when there was almost no practical knowledge about turbine operation.
I respect your (and any other reasonable person's) opinions about any of the AMA regulations, but after having participated in this entire process I can assure you that it is a much more daunting prospect to work on a committee and attempt to write a set of rules that will be acceptable to ALL of the various people and groups involved than you might think.
Last year, not long after the new rules had been put in abeyance I was talking to a well respected jet modeler about the situation and was told !QUOT!If this were a dictatorship, I could straighten the whole thing out in about 3 hours!QUOT!. My reaction was: [X(].
Thankfully the AMA is not a dictatorship. While there are many people who think that !QUOT!their way is the only right way!QUOT! they still have to go through a democratic process before they can be implemented. No one person or group within the organization has all the answers, or even knows all the questions.
In the end the system works, but only as well as those who will work within the system. If you desire changes to these or any of the AMA rules contact your district rep and make your opinion known, I am sure that if he feels that there are enough other affected people who share your opinion there will be action taken on the issue.

While in Muncie (in a very sleep deprived state) I was slightly surprised to notice that the EC members are all human beings. Like the rest of us mere mortals they each had questions, concerns, and opinions, but what really struck me were the similarities between them and the group of modelers I hang out with (except they are much older ). While for the life of me I cant begin to understand why any of them would actually want the positions that they are elected to I actually found that I liked many of them [X(] .

The AMA is not the enemy, the enemy is the attitude of !QUOT!my way is the only way!QUOT!.

The Jet community and the JPO is very fortunate to have a person like Steven Ellzey for a leader, he understands how to work peacefully within the system and still get results, he listens to and understands the concerns of the jet community, and most of all he is extremely knowledgeable on the subject. We should all be very grateful.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:34 AM
RPMTech1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Turbine Rules Pass

Hey Kevin,

Don't get me wrong. I think the work you all did was great. Getting a set of rules and procedures in place to obtain a turbine waiver that don't actually require that you have any turbine experience is quite the political coo - the process of which I assure you I am quite familiar. My hat's off to you all! [8D].

Seriously, I was just discussing the thing for fun. I don't really have a big problem with the rules so long as the single turbine thrust is at least 45 pounds installed. Maybe next time we can tweak them a little further.

"Wear them out with unrelenting logic and reason".

Now stop patronizing me.[>:]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87898.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	98948  
Old 02-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Gordito Volador
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: RE: New Turbine Rules Pass

I just want to say thanks to all of the guys that worked so hard to get the new rules passed and keep the turbine community alive. I hope that at Florida Jets that I can shake everyone's hands and thank you all personally. Now I can scrap my plans for my 1/7 scale Batmobile and put my turbine in a Kangaroo. Two thumbs up!!

Bill Adkins
AMA L6243
JPO 1788
Old 02-09-2004, 01:03 PM
BCoston
My Feedback: (7)

Does anyone have a link to AMA document 575.

Brian
Old 02-09-2004, 02:00 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: eshea01

Does anyone have a link to AMA document 575.

Brian