Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

''tuned'' pipe

Old 07-21-2005, 04:08 PM
LaxerMan21
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ''tuned'' pipe

so what makes a pipe tuned and if i were to make one what makes it increase power?
Old 07-21-2005, 04:24 PM
bam.bam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ''tuned'' pipe

The exhaust technology is same as in the real automotive world.

A tuned pipe will depend on the volume it can hold and the length of the pipe. For example, the bigger the inner pipe diameter, the better.
Also a straight and unrestricted pipe works the best.

So, in the Savage, if you can somehow fit a straight pipe directly from the engine exhaust, through the rear shock tower, past the rear bumper with a descent amount of inner piping, that would work great. IMO.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:43 PM
fxrs

A tuned pipe for a two stroke motor, whether its an rc motor or motor
cycle or etc. is way different than the real automotive world!!!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 04:57 PM
bam.bam

ok but you must at least agree a unrestricted exhaust pipe will have better performance than a bent or curved pipe... better exhaust flow in this case.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:56 PM
racer man05

sounds legit to me bam.. but i cant say much
Old 07-21-2005, 06:17 PM
electrogoneglow

ORIGINAL: bam.bam

The exhaust technology is same as in the real automotive world.

A tuned pipe will depend on the volume it can hold and the length of the pipe. For example, the bigger the inner pipe diameter, the better.
Also a straight and unrestricted pipe works the best.

So, in the Savage, if you can somehow fit a straight pipe directly from the engine exhaust, through the rear shock tower, past the rear bumper with a descent amount of inner piping, that would work great. IMO.
This would not work, how would you preasureize the fuel tank, a straight pipe would not create enoughf back preasure, just my opinion.

Jason
Old 07-21-2005, 07:52 PM
bam.bam

ORIGINAL: electrogoneglow
This would not work, how would you preasureize the fuel tank, a straight pipe would not create enoughf back preasure, just my opinion.
I might have to agree with you on that one. I never said this was a solid plan.

However, afix a tube fitting on the exhaust pipe at, perhaps 15 degrees, pointing towards the rear and as close to the engine as possible may fix the issue.

Or maybe not...
Old 07-21-2005, 08:06 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: bam.bam

ok but you must at least agree a unrestricted exhaust pipe will have better performance than a bent or curved pipe... better exhaust flow in this case.
Nope.

These 2-strokes need the return "pulse" (oversimplified: backpressure) into the exhaust port to help load the cylinder properly. Without this, the engine would have a crappy narrow powerband... Remember, the exhaust port and intake ports seriously overlap. Bigger is NOT better in this case. The word tuned denotes something here...
Old 07-22-2005, 12:16 AM
odysseus

Frost speaks the truth, there's more going on in an exhaust system than one might think. Remember, an engine is nothing more than a air pump. How efficiently it pumps air is determined by many factors, but one of them is the exhaust. The exhaust side is every bit as important as the intake side of the pump/engine. Especially, when your trying to get the most out of your engine. It doesn't matter if its a 2 or 4 stroke, an rc car, plane, heli, boat or the full size vehicles their modeled after. Trying to achieve efficient flow of air/gases through the engine is what helps maximize the design of the particular engine your dealing with. In a "nut shell", the more you can get in, the more power you can make. The exhaust side helps this process by providing an exit for spent gases, but, more importantly, the shape and volume of the exhaust can increase the flow of air/fuel from the intake side into the chamber by scavanging. Essentially, creating a vaccume that gives the air/fuel a head start on the way in. That's why there's an overlap, a point where the intake and exhaust are both open at the same time and the type of pipe is what determines how this overlap will help create power and in what part of the rpm range you can expect it. To better understan this, I highly recomend you read the article that the link below takes you to. If it doesn't, just type it in as written.

www.rcnitro.com/rn/articles/tuned.asp

It explains the exhaust system from an rc point of view. Hope it helps!