Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

Please post your XTM 24.7 setups... Mine is a dog off of the line

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Please post your XTM 24.7 setups... Mine is a dog off of the line

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please post your XTM 24.7 setups... Mine is a dog off of the line

For those that have installed an XTM 24.7/24.7 Pro, please post your setups, specifically-

Spur/Clutch Bell combo
Clutch setup (2 or 3 shoe, material, etc.)

I am NOT happy with the 24.7's take off in the Savage. I have to run it pretty lean to get
a decent take off, and the temps get from 260-270. I would like to see it from 230-240.
My 24.7 is brand new, broken in properly and has good top end, so I know it is my setup. I
am guessing I am putting too much of a load on the engine at take off, probably a combination
of gearing and clutch setup- Feels like I am geared to high and the clutch is engaging too quickly
giving me lousy takeoffs.

Do I want wheelies? Nope. Good takeoffs? yup.

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2005, 12:52 PM
pinit2winit

Default RE: Please post your XTM 24.7 setups... Mine is a dog off of the line

XTM 24.7 PRO
15t clutch bell
3 shoe from HPI..i duno what type of material..i wanna say composite i think.
stock spur
I have had this motor for a year..never broken a pull start temp is 190-200 and this thing rips!!
I RARELY tune it because this thing holds a tune fooorever!
Old 07-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

The HPI composite clutch sucks, it will slip behind the stock S25 by 1/2 to 2/3 of a tank... Bottom end can be helped by running a thicker spring,(1.1mms) helps move the engagement point up to where the engine is making more torque. I personally like the Mugen aluminum shoes. If you go with the Nova shoes, leave ALL of the weights out for later engagement.

IMHO, 260-270 is just fine if it isn't lean bogging or stuttering. To be honest, this is where I run most of my big-blocks.

With the 24.7 I would say 16tCB and fine tune with the spur...

That stock tank is a PITA, although you get more consistent pressure with the THS than say, the ribbed pipe, there is still the dreaded half-tank lean. Check out the New Era Ofna tank & custom mount for the Savage, that is hands down one of the best mods I made. Who doesn't want consistent tuning regardless of fuel level?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:17 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

my XTM .247 in my buggy runs great at around 275-290.
I don't know why you want to lower your temps to the 230s...but if you want, you can have my giant ACNCM head[&:] har har.
seriously though, upgrade to a 1/8 buggy style (ofna has a whole kit) 3 shoe aluminum clutch.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Dale Gribble

Thanks guys! I upgraded from the stock 2 shoe composite setup to a 3 shoe Mugen Seki aluminum shoes and 1.0mm springs. Between you guys and the LHS, it seems to be a general consensus that this setup will tear it up. LHS also said that I can run a thick walled fuel line to prevent leaning- one of the shop guys is a Savage nut and said it helped a lot. Dubro has a really thick fuel line, so I picked it up. I guess that some fuel lines can partially collapse during use causing leaning.

Can't wait, I will install the stuff soon.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:40 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Yeah, that oughta make it holeshot those black UN helicopters.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:23 AM
JEXTEL
My Feedback: (1)

Have thought about that you might have a air leak?
Old 07-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Dale Gribble

Definitely doesn't have an airleak- doesn't idle fast, doesn't run too lean until the last 30% of the tank, and I just replaced the tank, and fuel line. Plus I totally pulled the 24.7 apart out of the box and sealed the backplate and stuff. I think the problem will be solved with the setup above.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:14 AM
gerwen

Throwin out the obvious in case it was missed:

Tuned the LSN for maximum snap off the line?
Old 07-22-2005, 12:36 AM
odysseus

I'm running the 24.7 pro with stock gearing(15/49 I believe) in my savage. I added the Motosaver air cleaner and a Tsais M25 Performance Pipe. I'm changing over to 16/49 gearing(possibly 17/49) because I can't keep the front end on the ground. There has to be something else going on that's not letting your truck launch. Mine will flip on it's lid if I do a full throttle launch. Heck, it wheelies going down hill. Check the drive train...trans, diffs, etc, for resistance. Pull the carb and take it apart to give a good cleaning. You may have bur in there that's restricting the flow. It may be you just got a bad engine, too. I'd first start out by setting the HSN an LSN back to factory settings and starting over. BTW, I got my LSN at almost 3 turns out from fully closed. The factory setting for LSN in my manual states to set it to something like 8 turns out with the slide full open. When I did that, the needle would fall out. So, I did what I thought made sence and I just set it at 3 turns out from closed( I probably should have started at 4) with the slide closed(as if at idle). Mine runs around 250-260 degrees.