Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Weatronic data logging question

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Weatronic data logging question

Old 06-25-2007, 02:02 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weatronic data logging question

I have just bought a Weatronic receiver but am a little confused about the data logging.

Do I have to remove the card and use a reader to download the data or can I do it through the USB lead?
Old 06-25-2007, 08:26 PM
swissflyer

Default RE: Weatronic data logging question

in mine, since the last upgrade, i have to remove the card, and read it separately using a card reader..
Old 06-25-2007, 08:45 PM
David Gladwin

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Thats the only way to do it (at least so far as I can see). In ealier firmware versions it was possible to download data from the DR, via the USB cable either from the internal memory or the SD card. That has now gone, perhaps the memory is required for other purposes. Not being able to download internal memory data caused some frustration (thought I was doing something wrong ) until the new manual arrived ! I just slip the SD card into the slot on my laptop and there it is.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:59 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Thats the only way to do it (at least so far as I can see). In ealier firmware versions it was possible to download data from the DR, via the USB cable either from the internal memory or the SD card. That has now gone, perhaps the memory is required for other purposes. Not being able to download internal memory data caused some frustration (thought I was doing something wrong ) until the new manual arrived ! I just slip the SD card into the slot on my laptop and there it is.

Regards,

David Gladwin.

that would be crap
since i placed my Weatronic so that it looks nice
and i cant get to the sd card this way.
please tell me it still works on the latest firmware
otherwise why should anyone bother to use the cable.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32717.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	711392  
Old 06-26-2007, 04:34 AM
siclick33

That is pretty annoying.

Why would they take away a capability that used to be there?

Getting to the SD card could be difficult in certain situations. Also I would like to download the info fairly often. Removing the card every time will be a pain.

Weatronic, if you're reading this, it would be great if you could see if it is possible re-enable the use of the USB cable for data download.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:09 AM
David Gladwin

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

If you look in software v 2.0 with there is a tab "Flight recorder" on the info page. On the latest software 2.01 and firmware v 1.14 that tab is missing and I cant find it anywhere else and the manual refers to downloading data via the SD card.

I agree that its a retrograde step but on the other hand you now have a 12 ch receiver and gear functioner, so crap is, I think, a rather strong, perhaps inappropriate, word ! Quite a few JWM entries seem to be using Weatronics DRs.

The USB cord is still used to communicate between the PC/laptop and the DR.

Regards,

David Gladwin.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:37 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

If you look in software v 2.0 with there is a tab "Flight recorder" on the info page. On the latest software 2.01 and firmware v 1.14 that tab is missing and I cant find it anywhere else and the manual refers to downloading data via the SD card.

I agree that its a retrograde step but on the other hand you now have a 12 ch receiver and gear functioner, so crap is, I think, a rather strong, perhaps inappropriate, word ! Quite a few JWM entries seem to be using Weatronics DRs.

The USB cord is still used to communicate between the PC/laptop and the DR.

Regards,

David Gladwin.

dont pull it out of perspective David
i did not say the product is crap it works perfect.
i said that they removed that option is crap.
now i have to lift the receiver , to get data out.
does not makes sence , why would they use a usb converter to reproduce rs232 signals in the first place?
the data card can be seen as a External usb drive.
i also sell this product , so i tell customers "sorry it doesnt work anymore?"

sorry makes no sence to me..
Old 06-26-2007, 07:08 AM
siclick33

I don't need the 12 channels or the sequencer at the moment.

Is it possible to re-install the older firmware to get the USB download back? If so, what other functions will I lose?
Old 06-26-2007, 04:43 PM
Alwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,
we stopped the internal logging last year on some reasons.
- the internal memory is only 53min logging.
- if the internal memory is full you have to clear the memory. There is NO overwrite!!
- download the logged data via usb-cable takes several minutes - too long for quick view.
- the SD-Card is much faster on logging (about 10 times).
- a SD with 128MB is about 30hours logging - much more than the internal ;-) -> 512MB or 1 GB is about logging a hole season.
- the internal memory now is reserved for future use ;-) (dont ask me - its a secret).

Old 06-27-2007, 02:50 AM
mick15

Awin, would it be posible to install an "extension cable and port" for the card port?

m
Old 06-27-2007, 06:12 AM
Alwin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Mick,
do you mean a special SD-card?
Old 06-27-2007, 06:32 AM
siclick33

I do not understand electronics too well but on my mobile phone I can download data from the memory card direct. It does not have to use the phone's internal memory.

Whilst I understand the need and benefits of using a card in preference to the internal memory, I do not understand why I can't use the USB connection to download the data direct from the card. Also, the data download from my phone is very quick. Why would it be slow to download from the memory card via USB?

The Weatronic unit appears to be a fantastic piece of equipment but in my opinion, the method of data download is inconvenient and outdated. This is one of the important factors I looked at when I purchased the unit and am a little disappointed at the clumsy design, especially considering the expert knowledge demonstrated elsewhere in the system.

Alwin,

Could you please reply to my email requesting information on the type of card that I need? I understand there may be compatability issues with some electronic devices and some SD cards.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:34 AM
siclick33

I think what mick15 is asking is,

Would it be possible to use an extension so that the card can be placed somewhere within easy reach in the fuselage rather than having to delve into the model to extract the card from the main unit?