Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

WHAT ENGINE?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:48 PM
ddotson
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT ENGINE?????

I have developed an interest in 25% gasoline powered planes. I found 26cc engines just don't have quite enough ponies. Thought I would try a DLE30, got the one with the side carb and did not do my homework as DLE engines have a good record. Found it had a nasty habit of engine dying. Seemed factory did not intend to do anything about problem other than tell you to mount it at an angle. Anyway, gave it to a friend with a warning!! Another friend had MLD 28cc from Cermark that ran ok and seemed to have better power than typical 26cc. Got me one of those and it would not run properly right out of box, just sit there and surge as if someone was working the throttle, however throttle was not moving. Returned it to Cermark and guess they may have it somewhere, don't answer email consider that a total loss. But never mind that, I am looking for a reccomendation for a little stronger engine than a 26cc for these planes. Hope the third time is a charm.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 PM
CGAV8R
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: WHAT ENGINE?????

Get that dle 30 back from your friend and buy the 15 dollar rear carb conversion kit for it. All your problems should be solved.

Aaron D.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:01 PM
ddotson

I did give it to him and would feel real chezzy asking for it back. I will however pass along the fix info to him. Have you had any experience with the rear carb mod?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: CGAV8R

Get that dle 30 back from your friend and buy the 15 dollar rear carb conversion kit for it. All your problems should be solved.

Aaron D.
Ditto that ... except the conversion costs a bit more than when it was first made available. Still worth it to get an excellent running engine. If he won't give the engine back, buy a new DLE 30 as they have made other improvements since the early side carb 30s were introduced.

And, DLE certainly did something about the early problems ... it just took awhile.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:09 PM
ddotson

Oh he would give it back if I asked, I just would'nt feel right doing that, a friend is worth more than engine. What did DLE do to solve the problem? I lost interest when I no longer owned engine.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:35 PM
ddotson

Any one actually using the DLE30 with rear carb. I will buy another one if most are having success with them. Just been burned once to often. Need to do some flying and not tinkering with engines.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:36 PM
AH1G

This gentleman, is a man with morals and ethics!
Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 PM
ddotson

ORIGINAL: AH1G

This gentleman, is a man with morals and ethics!
Think about it, does'nt take all that many morals and ethics. Would sound very childish IMHO. "Can I have my engine back please???". Only looking for dependable engine for airplanes. Remember the best lessons learned in life are the ones that cost you the most!
Old 09-14-2010, 08:00 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: ddotson

Remember the best lessons learned in life are the ones that cost you the most!
Yeah, that's what my 1st wife's lawyer said, too. Made a believer of me for sure.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:04 PM
ddotson

ORIGINAL: ggraham500

Yeah, that's what my 1st wife's lawyer said, too. Made a believer of me for sure.
Nough said.....
Old 09-14-2010, 08:11 PM
ddotson

ORIGINAL: ggraham500

Nough said.....

WAIT A MINUTE!!! You said it made a believer out of you, yet you mention 1st wifes lawyer, indicating there is a 2nd wife. May indicate need for more lessons. Just messing with you man.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Truckracer

Any one actually using the DLE30 with rear carb. I will buy another one if most are having success with them. Just been burned once to often. Need to do some flying and not tinkering with engines.
First, I wouldn't actually expect you to ask for your old engine back. Was just kidding about that.

I'd suggest you read through the DLE 30 thread here ..... at least the posts since they changed to the rear carb. The rear carb version has by its nature a much shorter airflow path from the carb through the reed bank to the engine. This helps to eliminate any gas pooling problems the side carb version had. Also improves throttle response and makes the needles easier to adjust. Along with the rear carb change the reed bank is also changed to a sort of inverted V arrangement which should be more efficient than the old version. Somewhere along the line before the rear carb change, DLE changed to pressure castings that are much higher quality than the older ones which were known for occasional voids and holes. Very nice casings! The overall fit, finish and maching tolerances seem to have improved quite a bit also. Some of the older engines were noted for a too tight piston fit or cylinders that didn't quite line up square with the case .... these problems have all been corrected. I believe there were also some carb changes but I'm not sure what they were for sure. Overall, the DLE engines in general are quite a bit improved over time. I'm sure others will chime in with other improvements.

Yes, many are using the DLE 30 with great success. I'm flying one regularly and overall think it is one of the best gassers I have ever owned or flown ..... in any size. Great little engine with excellent power and easy to tune and handle in general. They love to turn 19" props in various pitch ranges .... with some guys using 20" props. Thats power that compares to many good engines in the 40cc range. I can't think you would go wrong trying one of the V2 versions.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 PM
ddotson

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

First, I wouldn't actually expect you to ask for your old engine back. Was just kidding about that.

I'd suggest you read through the DLE 30 thread here ..... at least the posts since they changed to the rear carb. The rear carb version has by its nature a much shorter airflow path from the carb through the reed bank to the engine. This helps to eliminate any gas pooling problems the side carb version had. Also improves throttle response and makes the needles easier to adjust. Along with the rear carb change the reed bank is also changed to a sort of inverted V arrangement which should be more efficient than the old version. Somewhere along the line before the rear carb change, DLE changed to pressure castings that are much higher quality than the older ones which were known for occasional voids and holes. Very nice casings! The overall fit, finish and maching tolerances seem to have improved quite a bit also. Some of the older engines were noted for a too tight piston fit or cylinders that didn't quite line up square with the case .... these problems have all been corrected. I believe there were also some carb changes but I'm not sure what they were for sure. Overall, the DLE engines in general are quite a bit improved over time. I'm sure others will chime in with other improvements.

Yes, many are using the DLE 30 with great success. I'm flying one regularly and overall think it is one of the best gassers I have ever owned or flown ..... in any size. Great little engine with excellent power and easy to tune and handle in general. They love to turn 19'' props in various pitch ranges .... with some guys using 20'' props. Thats power that compares to many good engines in the 40cc range. I can't think you would go wrong trying one of the V2 versions.

I am convinced, to often one gets a reply indicating someones personal opinion that actually has no experience. You sound like you fly these engines with success. I will give them another shot.......Thanks for your honest opinion......Don
Old 09-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Truckracer

I was a DLE engine skeptic if there ever was one. Waited a long time before I finally decided to buy one. Bought the 30 in early July and just loved it. Since then I have since bought a 55 that replaced a 6 year old DA-50 .... the DA is now in a drawer and will stay there! Two friends have also recently bought DLE engines since seeing my 30 perform .... one has a 30 that is running perfect and the 55 is just being mounted. These things breed like rabbits once one gets introduced to a field!