Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DRAGON RETRACT PROBLEMS

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DRAGON RETRACT PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 02:06 PM
jbrown
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DRAGON RETRACT PROBLEMS

Greetings,

I am having some difficulty with the Dragon retract units (mains).

First, I'm not having very good luck securing the strut post in the trunions. The original struts simply would not not fasten in the trunions solidly, they would rotate at the smallest side load on the wheels. The lower strut also has a tendency to rotate on the scissor clamp(at the most inoportune time). I recently exchanged the struts for Pro-Links hoping they would secure better. I've knurled the strut post and inside of the truntions in hope the trunions would secure the post better. On my last time out one of the Pro-links rotated in the trunion, not completely, but it did come loose enough so you could rotate it slightly by hand.
Anyone have this same problem? Anyone with a solution to the problem?

The nose gear seems to attach to its trunion solidly, but that is a different strut post (steering).

Secondly, one of the trunions has now split on the bolt head side of the trunion - See attached pictures.
Anyone have this problem?

Is replacing the entire main retract units the solution?

Any ideas for correcting this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Jim

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19981.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1507090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70107.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1507091  
Old 09-26-2010, 05:02 PM
SAP_2000

Default RE: DRAGON RETRACT PROBLEMS

The opening in the trunion is made a fraction to big on some of the Airpower retracts. Seen it many times.
A solution except for returning them for new ones, is to use alu tape one or two rounds around the strut. Then remove the screw in the trunion and force it a bit more open with a flat screw driver so you can insert the strut without damaging the tape.
Worked well for me.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:09 PM
jbrown

Hi Staale,

Thanks for the tip, I thought about copper shim stock wrapped around the post, but the aluminum tape is a much better idea.
Have you had any issues with the wing tube on your Dragon? Mine got bent on landing - Not the most picturesque landing, but certainly not enough force that a wing tube should bend?

Thanks again.
Regards, Jim
Old 09-26-2010, 06:30 PM
SAP_2000

Don't have a Dragon, but I have owned and seen a few of those Airpower retracts.
There vere some veak wing tubes at some point from SM/ x-treme that are replaced for free. There is a thread about it here somewhere.
Anyone have a link?
Old 09-26-2010, 07:00 PM
jbrown

Sadly enough, a friend of mine and I have had the "new" wing tubes replacements (for free (?), plus S&H - Pretty cheap shot considering all the negative information on the Dragon wing tubes that is floating around. I'm certain that the S&H cost will also pay for the wing tube :-() on order from SM for over a month now.
We just keep getting the "their on order" reply??? Great customer service...I think not!
I'll try the aluminum tape on the retracts - I think that may just do it.

Thanks again for your courteous reply and assistance.
Jim
Old 09-26-2010, 07:21 PM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Jim,
There is a very simple solution I discovered years ago when I came across the same issue on some Asian gear. Just drill the side of the trunion and tap for a setscrew. 4/40 or 6/32 is fine. Put the strut in the retract but dont tighten the clamp bolt. Center up the wheel with the normal tad of toe in then lightly snug up the set screw against the strut. Now tighten up the clamp bolt and your good to go. The setscrew will take up any tolerance issue with the trunion plus give additional restraint against rotation.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 PM
rcand

ORIGINAL: jbrown

Greetings,

First, I'm not having very good luck securing the strut post in the trunions. The original struts simply would not not fasten in the trunions solidly, they would rotate at the smallest side load on the wheels. The lower strut also has a tendency to rotate on the scissor clamp(at the most inoportune time). I recently exchanged the struts for Pro-Links hoping they would secure better. I've knurled the strut post and inside of the truntions in hope the trunions would secure the post better. On my last time out one of the Pro-links rotated in the trunion, not completely, but it did come loose enoughso you could rotate it slightly by hand.

The nose gear seems to attach to its trunion solidly, but that is a different strut post (steering).

Secondly, one of the trunions has now split on the bolt head side of the trunion - See attached pictures.

Regards, Jim

I had the same problem on my Dragon, side loaded and broke the trunion block. I replaced the retracts with Prolinks from Dreamworks, that with your Prolink struts should be the best solution. I still use my struts but i pinned the botton strut so it would not twist and a little JB weld around the pin the to keep the oil from leaking out
Old 09-26-2010, 08:06 PM
rcand

[quote]ORIGINAL: jbrown

Greetings,

First, I'm not having very good luck securing the strut post in the trunions. The original struts simply would not not fasten in the trunions solidly, they would rotate at the smallest side load on the wheels. The lower strut also has a tendency to rotate on the scissor clamp(at the most inoportune time). I recently exchanged the struts for Pro-Links hoping they would secure better. I've knurled the strut post and inside of the truntions in hope the trunions would secure the post better. On my last time out one of the Pro-links rotated in the trunion, not completely, but it did come loose enough so you could rotate it slightly by hand.

Regards, Jim

oops, had a duplicate entry
Old 09-27-2010, 05:13 PM
jbrown

Thanks everyone for your helpful feedback.
I think Todd's solution may be the most effective, although I will use the aluminum tape also if the strut/trunion fitment is too loose.
rcand,
I considered replacing the retract units themselves, but since I've dropped about $400 in struts/wheels/brakes already, I'm trying to save a little money keeping the retract units.
However if the replacement trunion blocks aren't readily available from SM/X-treme Jet, then I'll definetly be giving Todd a call.

???Anyone know where we could purchase CF wing tubes for the Dragon? Diameter is 1.250", or 31.75mm.

Thank again everyone.
Jim
Old 09-27-2010, 05:49 PM
lov2flyrc

See here
http://www.tntlandinggear.com/composite_tubes.htm
Old 09-27-2010, 06:04 PM
jbrown

Thanks Todd as always, your on top of it.
I'll order the CF tube from TNT.

Best regards, Jim
Old 09-27-2010, 06:56 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: lov2flyrc

Jim,
There is a very simple solution I discovered years ago when I came across the same issue on some Asian gear. Just drill the side of the trunion and tap for a setscrew. 4/40 or 6/32 is fine. Put the strut in the retract but dont tighten the clamp bolt. Center up the wheel with the normal tad of toe in then lightly snug up the set screw against the strut. Now tighten up the clamp bolt and your good to go. The setscrew will take up any tolerance issue with the trunion plus give additional restraint against rotation.
I'd say this is "THE" solution.

I'm the one who did the last couple of landings [&:]. With this set up I think we're gonna have more fun next time at the field Jim.

Also, Todd, do you think 1 1/4" x 36" x .040 WTC-125 4.2oz. is gonna be a strong enough of a replacement for the dragon?

Thanks,
Barry
Old 09-27-2010, 07:50 PM
lov2flyrc

Yes, more than adequate Barry.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:44 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Perfect, that's what we'll get, thanks Todd!
Jim, I've got you covered here, text me your address please.

Barry