Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

A very handy Tool

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

A very handy Tool

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 10:17 AM
Ikaros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A very handy Tool

Fly-fishers use a tool called Bobbin when they tie their fishing flyes or repair their rods.

I use this with fishing rod tying thread for tying music-wire to control cables in my models. I secure the thread by soaking whole winding with thin or medium CA.

To make these tyings look nice and have maximum strength, each turn of the thread should come next to the previous one and the length of the winding should be 5-10 X diameter of the wire. The wires must be de-greased (acetone) and roughened (120 grit).

It is perfect when you don't like to or can not solder for some reason. Besides, it is more reliable than soft soldering, easier and faster too.
Old 12-06-2002, 03:16 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can you get that stuff at Wal-Mart? Or do I have to go to a REAL sporting goods store [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Jerry
Old 12-06-2002, 06:04 PM
Ikaros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get it at your nearest Sport Fishing Store (or what you call it at your place [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img])

You will probably not find it at the supermarket or the hardware store.

It's a cheap tool and the thread is cheap too (concidering it's strength)

You should get away with 5 bucks for the tool and 3-5 bucks for the thread.

I attach a picture of the tool in action so you can recognize it when you see it.

Note that I hold one piece of multi-strand steel wire bound to a z-bent music wire in one hand. I have not made any knots or used any laquer or glue yet. This tool makes it easy.

The thread is special fishing rod tying thread, please note that. Do not rob your wifes sewing stuff, it isn't good enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bobbin.JPG (36.8 KB, 79 views)