Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

How old before first Hobby grade RC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:21 PM
john2364

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How old before first Hobby grade RC?

So the Wife is in her 2nd trimester and I am already looking forward to the time when I can take our child to the track with his own R/C car. I got my first hobby grade when I was 11 or 12. I am sure that I could have handled one much earlier but I had to wait until I could afford one. Our baby will be much luckier because Daddy still likes toys as much as he did when he was a kid. What do you think is an appropriate age for the childs first hobby grade R/C car?
Old 10-29-2010, 03:27 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How old before first Hobby grade RC?

My first born is almost 3 and I think it will be awhile yet, But I'm looking forward to building her a pink clodbuster.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:30 PM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm right with you, mine is 15 months old and i can't wait.

i'm thinking 7 or 8. sure you could try earlier but 5 and 6 year olds don't seem to grasp the concept.
they seem to just mash the thottle. i'm sure there are some 6 year olds that can get the hang of it, but you don't want them to get frustrated either.
you know how kids are, if you correct them too much they getmad and move onto something else.

i remember reading somewhere that (for boys) 7 is that turning point where they have matured enough to understand correction and then able to put it to use.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:38 PM
RobbieP
Banned

It really depends on the child, and if they're interested, and what kind of hand-eye coordination they have.
Don't push it on them, of course, but if they're interested there's plenty of ways to "turn down the power.".
I've seen 5 or 6 year olds handle them fine, but I've also seen 8 and 10 year olds that were total clutzes.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:54 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: RobbieP

It really depends on the child, and if they're interested, and what kind of hand-eye coordination they have.
Don't push it on them, of course, but if they're interested there's plenty of ways to ''turn down the power.''.
I've seen 5 or 6 year olds handle them fine, but I've also seen 8 and 10 year olds that were total clutzes.
Yea Agree my older nephew is almost 10 and can't stop smashing his pede into something every 5 feet... Seriously I dunno how he does it I even took him to a baseball diamond and he managed to ram it right into the fence by home plate... His pede don't even go that fast...

My other nephew is 5 and can drive his playschool RC(I know not hobby grade but he still can control it) around their house without hitting anything(its VERY cluttered)...
I'm actually reassembling the Brama 10B I was so disappointed with(top speed, and upgrades) for him to drive around when he's here seeing it can't go fast enough to do any real damage to anything.
Old 10-29-2010, 04:01 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts

<div>all my friends with kids look at it like this.  currently their kids aren't mature enough to responsibly run one on their own, tune one on their own, maintain one on their own, repair one on their own, or afford one on their own.  is for they aint getting one.</div><div>when they mature enough to do those things they are more than welcome to go spend their own money on one.  at what age that will happen depends on the kid</div>
Old 10-29-2010, 05:01 PM
rooker
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Don't push it on them, of course, but if they're interested there's plenty of ways to ''turn down the power.''.
Yea Agree my older nephew is almost 10 and can't stop smashing his pede into something every 5 feet... Seriously I dunno how he does it I even took him to a baseball diamond and he managed to ram it right into the fence by home plate... His pede don't even go that fast...

My other nephew is 5 and can drive his playschool RC(I know not hobby grade but he still can control it) around their house without hitting anything(its VERY cluttered)...
I'm actually reassembling the Brama 10B I was so disappointed with(top speed, and upgrades) for him to drive around when he's here seeing it can't go fast enough to do any real damage to anything.
Cut him some slack Syco, I am 36 and can't drive!!! I hit myself last week?
Old 10-29-2010, 05:23 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: rooker

Well I try to, but I'm really not joking when I say he hits something every 5 feet either. He's stripped his servo saver he hits stuff so often. He's hit people, tree's, fences, cars, curbs, himself, my RC's(hard to dodge when he basically plows straight into you), etc usually all in the same outing on 1 1800mah NiCd pack... I almost sometimes think he purposely does it, but sometimes he seems like he's in another world like the time he almost got it run over by a car.

I'll admit I'll occasionally hit something (usually when a part pops off like the damn rear tie-rod on the savage), or something is hidden in grass, and once in a while a curb (usually if someone comes speeding and I gotta go flying at full speed out of the way). But him you tell him to watch it he acknowledges it, than rams right back into the same thing...
Old 10-29-2010, 06:34 PM
RobbieP
Banned

So you're saying you wear coke bottle thick glasses, and can't move your feet without somebody giving you a push?
Old 10-29-2010, 06:38 PM
RobbieP
Banned

Well I try to, but I'm really not joking when I say he hits something every 5 feet either. He's stripped his servo saver he hits stuff so often. He's hit people, tree's, fences, cars, curbs, himself, my RC's(hard to dodge when he basically plows straight into you), etc usually all in the same outing on 1 1800mah NiCd pack... I almost sometimes think he purposely does it, but sometimes he seems like he's in another world like the time he almost got it run over by a car.

I'll admit I'll occasionally hit something (usually when a part pops off like the damn rear tie-rod on the savage), or something is hidden in grass, and once in a while a curb (usually if someone comes speeding and I gotta go flying at full speed out of the way). But him you tell him to watch it he acknowledges it, than rams right back into the same thing...
Sounds like my buddy's kids. The 6yo is always shouting at the 9yo, "you suck," because his older brother is always crashing his car into something and meanwhile the little one drives like a pro (for his age). I think the older kid's issue is that he getsso concentrated on the car,staring atit, and doesn't yet have the ability to look at things other than what he's concentrating on. Tunnel vision.