Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Drifting with Brushless Setups.. Need Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 10:09 PM
asianizex418

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drifting with Brushless Setups.. Need Opinions

Recently converted to Electric rc from nitro, currently got a tc3 w/ brushed Team orion Chrome can w/ novak racer esc, powered by a 4200mah nimh battery...

my question is which brushless set up should i go for?... i've been considering mamba max 5700k, but not happy bout the price and recently ran into the hobbywing ezrun combos...

really looking into the EZRun Hobbywing Brushless combo either 5.5t or 9t... price is awesome, cheap but ive only seen good reviews.

my dilemma, is if the 5.5t ezrun gonna be too fast for drifting or would it be perfect? I've read that a 5700kv mamba is excellent for a drift setup and the 5.5t is comparable to a 6000kv. the 9t is i believe a 4000kv

any info is helpful, im like a second away from making a unknown mistake..
Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 PM
gokemidoro

Default RE: Drifting with Brushless Setups.. Need Opinions

ORIGINAL: asianizex418

Recently converted to Electric rc from nitro, currently got a tc3 w/ brushed Team orion Chrome can w/ novak racer esc, powered by a 4200mah nimh battery...

my question is which brushless set up should i go for?... i've been considering mamba max 5700k, but not happy bout the price and recently ran into the hobbywing ezrun combos...

really looking into the EZRun Hobbywing Brushless combo either 5.5t or 9t... price is awesome, cheap but ive only seen good reviews.

my dilemma, is if the 5.5t ezrun gonna be too fast for drifting or would it be perfect? I've read that a 5700kv mamba is excellent for a drift setup and the 5.5t is comparable to a 6000kv. the 9t is i believe a 4000kv

any info is helpful, im like a second away from making a unknown mistake..

I'm rooting for the Castle system, but I'm being subjective, because their systems are all I own now. Forget Novak. They use the cheapest components from the far east, and sell at high prices. Their capacitors are party poppers. At least with Castle, you get high-quality components, even if the price seems steep, compare that to Tekin or LRP. Also, Castle has good support, and a tech department you can call for questions. I've run Castle for years, and they're the only systems left standing. Novaks, LRP's, Tekins, all went kaput. I have two Castle systems that have been badly abused, and they're STILL running strong!

If you are going to set up strictly for drift, forget the "more is better" way of thinking. 5.5T is waaaay too powerful for drift. I run the Castle Mamba Max Pro and Sidewinders with 5700Kv motors, and find I'm programming them at 60-65% total output, and I don't go beyond half-throttle 95% of the time. Someone was thinking about the new 3800Kv system Castle has just put out for SC trucks. I don't know how good it would do for drift application, but it seems right, as long as the total weight of the car isn't more than 6.5 Lbs. I think the price is lower, too.
You could go with the Chinese stuff, but forget about support, and if something goes wrong, you're pretty much stuck.

Of course, others may havetheir recommendations, but Castle is my recommendation to you.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:51 PM
cornel4web

looks like the SCT edition will do the job perfectly...
Old 10-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Casper06

Drifting is best with a sensored motor. This is the combo I have in two on road cars and I love it:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXXWH5

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXWWW9&P=SM

You get more control from a sensored motor.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:56 AM
cornel4web

Nice for sure...but not cheap also...LOL[]
Old 10-20-2010, 01:27 AM
gokemidoro

ORIGINAL: Casper06

Drifting is best with a sensored motor. This is the combo I have in two on road cars and I love it:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...M&I=LXXWH5

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XWWW9&P=SM

You get more control from a sensored motor.
I find if you program the ESC with finer adjustments to dead band, and adjust the subtrims at the transmitter, you can pretty much dial out "cogging". It won't completely disappear, but enough so that it is not really noticeable. Both my drifters have none to speak of, and once you're going, it's not an issue.

Yah, I think asianizex418 is looking for an affordable system. I'm not sure what the new Castle system costs, but sensored systems all cost more than any sensorless.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:50 AM
joeyhatch11

Here's what you want. New and alittle cheaper than the 5700kv system. Also look into taking advantage of Towerhobbie's "easy pay" option.

Castle's Sidewinder 4600kv system $144 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUTA1&P=ML 3 payments of 49.

Castle's Sidewinder 5700kv system $144 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUTA2&P=ML 2 payments of $73

I've used towerhobbies easy pay for my Futaba 7C when I was into heli's. I've also used it for my new LRP 2850kv motor for my Associated RC8e, 1/8 buggy and I'm now using it for my Hpi Sprint 2 Drifter. Its an option they offer that allows you to get what you want and not have to settle for less. The EZ Run systems, from what I've read, have had mixed reviews. With Castle Creations anyone will tell you, including myself, they are amazing and same goes for there tech support, if you ever have a problem. Buying the EZ Run system and running into an issue, is there anyone you can turn to and say "fix this"? Just my $.02 but I hope it helps.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:15 PM
asianizex418

Forgot to check this post but, i ended up getting a 9t hobbywing ezrun w/ 35a esc combo.. i paid $70 shipped. it felt like a really good deal, considering how it was a direct plug and play, no soldering or mounting issues. so far its working fine for now... still waiting on a new set of drift tires.. so i have to wait and see how this setup is for drifting..

9t 4300kv brushless sensorless...

also does anyone know what motor this is,...

what i know, its a Team Orion Brushed.. Possibly Revolution?...

dont know exact model, or turns...

Old 10-26-2010, 05:18 AM
joeyhatch11

Sorry not sure what motor that is but it is JACKED UP!!! LMAO
Old 10-28-2010, 02:07 PM
asianizex418

its actually clean and nice... its the flash that makes it look jacked up.. .it has anice shine and the housing is fine undented
Old 10-28-2010, 02:49 PM
joeyhatch11

Whats holding the brushes in the motor?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:25 PM
asianizex418

well it atcually says 7x1 on the armature so i am assuming it is the revolution 7turn
Old 11-04-2010, 05:19 AM
joeyhatch11

Yup you got yourself a 7T motor. Question now is, can you ESC handle a 7T?
Old 11-05-2010, 08:47 AM
Anttthony

I have recently bought a dynamite fuse 5800kv I think it convenert to a 7 or 8t motor. I do mostly drifting and it is excellent! I bought it for 114.99 and it comes with the ESC . I have had no problems but here is a tip get deans connectors . I put motor in and the connections keep going on battery and other connections ! Just google dynamite fuse 5800kv it will take you right to site