Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

tire shopping for my ta-05

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 02:21 AM
ighhockey9
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire shopping for my ta-05

Hi everyone,

I have the stock tires on my ta-05 (fxx kit) and they have been pretty good but they are starting to wear now that I have my sidewinder system. What are some good replacement slicks that can hold up to the brushless? I'm looking to spend about $10 a pair. Not sure what size the ones I have now are, just need some standard touring car tires.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:40 AM
lee172

Default RE: tire shopping for my ta-05

HPI belted slicks are pretty good, and they are a decent price.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:59 AM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$10/pair including rims? You may want to look for a complete set of take-offs... they come pre-glued to the rims and everything. They are also pretty cheap. Foams are about the only thing that will really handle brushless though.
Old 06-26-2010, 12:54 PM
lee172

i run a few high powered brushless cars and ive never used foams, as long as the slicks are belted i doubt you will have a problem.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:53 PM
ighhockey9

I have never used foams, what is the wear like on them? That is the most important thing to me, I can't be spending $30 on tires every week. Thanks for the responses.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:25 AM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Foams last forever... all of mine have lasted 10 times as long as belted slicks.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:28 AM
rc18junky

foams are great but get the jaco brand there 19.00 for 2 the 10.00 cheaper ones will slip of the rims if your running brushless

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPKU0&P=7
Old 10-25-2010, 12:53 AM
Casper06

Could someone help me? I am looking for foams I can glue onto the rims of my choice. Could someone post a link to a ones that stick on concrete.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:03 AM
gokemidoro

Sorry, Casper06, but foams aren't really meant for anything but carpet.

Rubber really is the only choice for concrete or asphalt. Foams just don't "stick" well to anything but carpet. They do O.K., but as soon as you turn, the car will spin, the higher the speed, the faster the spin. You could use that brush-on stuff to make the foams stickier, but they will pick up all sorts of crap from the road surface, too.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:59 AM
djyjrlz

sorry, gokemidoro
but most of the nitro cars at my track use foams perfectly on asphalt and they are ten times better than rubber, they last about 6-7 times as long and the grip levels are insane, the only problem being as the tire wears the bubbles get smaller and the grip goes down but that is only when you are wearing them super thin. here in the uk brushless cars at tracks are not allowed to use foams because of the performance increase. here in the UK foams are like £10 a set of four so the only people who dont use them are people who dont know about foams and people who dint like the look of foam tyres (only being available in day glow yellow and white, dish and flexible 8 spoke)

if you drive rubber at the track you are not competative
if you just bash you are wasting money on looks / inferior grip
<br type="_moz"/>
Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 AM
RobbieP
Banned

ORIGINAL: djyjrlz

sorry, gokemidoro
but most of the nitro cars at my track use foams perfectly on asphalt and they are ten times better than rubber,<u> they last about 6-7 times as long </u>and the grip levels are insane, the only problem being as the tire wears the bubbles get smaller and the grip goes down but that is only when you are wearing them super thin. here in the uk brushless cars at tracks are not allowed to use foams because of the performance increase. here in the UK foams are like &pound;10 a set of four so the only people who dont use them are people who dont know about foams and people who dint like the look of foam tyres (only being available in day glow yellow and white, dish and flexible 8 spoke)

if you drive rubber at the track you are not competative
if you just bash you are wasting money on looks / inferior grip
<br type="_moz" />

Sorry djyjrlz, but foam tires do not last longer than rubber tires. Rubber tire use was implemented to cuts costs, being as rubber lasts longer than foams. Of course rubber tires do not offer the grip levels of foam, but when everyone's running the same type tire it doesn't make any difference.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:36 AM
djyjrlz

sounds almost right but at my track the brushless 1/10 can only use the tires for around three races, whereas the IC 1/10 series can run their foams for around 8 races (10-12 minutes each), the two classes run simalr times round the track and recah similar speeds. the life does depend on the shore rating, 32 - very soft will run well in wet conditions but will be dust in a few minutes on a dry track, 40 - they have a little less grip on a dry track but will last you around two weeks of races.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:34 PM
losidog
My Feedback: (14)

i definitly dont mean to highjack anyones thread but I to am shopping for wheels and tires for my TA-05 this is my first onroad car and i am completely lost. i know i want some really nice wheels. with rubber tires...i saw some very nice ones on the ta05 thread. the tires looked like they were off a real street car
Old 11-13-2010, 02:34 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seriously this thread is confusing, so whats tire lifes longer, foam or rubber?

whats better for brushless racing

whats better for brushless bashing

thats what we mostly want to know
Old 11-14-2010, 05:13 PM
djyjrlz

even if in the conditions you run foams last half the time, they cost a third of rubber tyres so personally get hold of a few sets of foams off of ebay and swap them when they get to the plastic  :P
Old 11-14-2010, 05:24 PM
lee172

but foams dont look as good as rubber tyres!