Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Sport Flying
Reload this Page >

Four Star 40 or Tiger II

Community
Search
Notices
Sport Flying This forum is for those that like to fly just for the enjoyment of flying, and all the airplanes that help them. Discuss here the joys of flying and the airplanes that help you enjoy it.

Four Star 40 or Tiger II

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Jayradar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Four Star 40 or Tiger II

Hello Folks,,,,

started sorting through all my RC stuff I haven't touched in a year.

lost my last Four Star to an unfortunate "hit" while close to the ground at Cherry Creek here in Denver a while back.

while i love the Four Star as a sport plane and have had three of them, i am thinking about something different.

never had a chance to fly a Tiger II but understand them to be decent flyers.

so I'd like opinions, build anouther Four Star or build a Tiger II.

probably don't actually NEED another sport plane but like having two at the field in the event someone is also on my freq that the Kavalier uses.

Opinions please guys,,

Much appreciated.

Jay"RZ"

Old 11-14-2010, 06:09 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Four Star 40 or Tiger II

I would think about the Tiger if for no other reason that to do something different.

It is a fairly easy build, perhaps a bit easier than the 4 Star.

They both fly well and low speed cruising and smooth landings are pretty similar. I think the Tiger with the trike gear was a bit less bouncy. Similar performance envelope though, both with those thick symmetrical wings. Tiger has that fin strake and some say it does a better knife edge.

If you loved the 4 Star, you will be happy with the Tiger II also.

If you want to go up a bit in size, the BTE Models Venture 60 is also great. Designed by Bruce Tharpe who designed the 4 Star 40 as a new and improved version. Actually going up a bump to 60 size in the Tiger or 4 Star might be a good change of pace also.

Tom
Old 11-15-2010, 04:25 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jay, I built a Tiger 2 with an OS .35AX and I just love flying it. Since you have a lot of 4Star experience, why not build a Tiger II so you can do a comparison thread?

Last week the wind was blowing pretty hard, right into our faces so I ended up doing a lot of vertical snaps with the Tiger II. Just loads of fun! It recovers so fast that I am pretty sure a snap roll on take-off is in the future. Will save that for a calm evening after a few hundred more snaps at altitude. With the hefty tailwind on base leg on each landing, the Tiger's forgiving nature saved me a several times as I aligned with the runway and just plain ran out of energy. My wife called them "Plop and Go's".
Old 11-18-2010, 10:50 AM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The answer to the question, "Four Star or Goldberg Tiger?" is almost always "Yes!" I can't imagine anyone trying to talk you out of building a Tiger 2/Tiger 60, but no one would blame you for building another Four Star, either.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:23 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

This is for those old enough to remember Gilligans Island(an old TV show)... a choice between these 2 planes is like a choice between Ginger and Maryann.. hmm... whats your style... I couldn't resist throwing that out... both are very worthy projects. Have fun.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:28 PM
AviationNut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dgrant

This is for those old enough to remember Gilligans Island(an old TV show)... a choice between these 2 planes is like a choice between Ginger and Maryann.. hmm... whats your style... I couldn't resist throwing that out... both are very worthy projects. Have fun.
Lol, very funny! I was always a Marry Ann guy myself! I prefer the Tiger because it uses sheeting on the forward part of the wing, so it looks better when covered. Both fly awesome, though.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:38 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So is this Ginger or Mary Ann? I am thinking Ginger!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvWvzBaTnQQ

One thing about the Tiger 2, the wing is really strong. Those 3/8 inch hardwood spars with shear webs could easily be 3/8 by 1/8, but as it is, it is solid with the D-tube design.