Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Interest in JETS & JETS FOR SALE

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Interest in JETS & JETS FOR SALE

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2002, 12:33 PM
1930wl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interest in JETS & JETS FOR SALE

In scanning the forums, I noted that JETS has the largest number of posts and JETS FOR SALE is second to ENGINES FOR SALE.

I guess this makes a statement about the intensity of interest of the JET SIG. It is also significant in that it suggests that we are the largest of the many minorities that compose AMA membership.

Me 262
(Builder - soon flyer)
Old 04-10-2002, 01:27 PM
DavidR

Not really. Of approx. 100000 AMA members there are only 400 turbine waiver holders. JPO has approximately 250 members this would indicate somewhere less than 1000 jet pilots. The jet guys were just among the first, and more active on this site.
Old 04-10-2002, 02:28 PM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Phrasing

David,

I think the key word is "Minority" not majority. Even at that, I don't think the Jet Sig is the largest minority group of AMA members.
Old 04-10-2002, 04:25 PM
b17flyer-RCU

actually the jet modelers tend to be more open than most. In my travelings many of the prop flyers(expecially "old timer","trainer jockeys") tend to be an older crowd. and most of those like to to be part of a peanut gallery or part of what veries club to club as a "grumpy old man's club". Now that is not every body but those are the "it cant be done, can't be fown, and can't do it here club."
The new modeler and the best are out ther trying to share and enjoy the sport with every one. While jet odelers are not the only ones, 3-d aerbatics, IMAC, Heli seem to be there too. All you do to find out some thing is ask.

I still see today when some one asks a ? and the flyer walks away. As a club V.P. i go and answer them and invite the to take a closer look. ISN'T THAT PART OF THE FUN????sharing the sport!

The rest of these sects need to catch up... Meet the Chalange guys

Jet/Heli/warbird/ aerobatic......Model airplane lover
brian
Old 04-10-2002, 07:58 PM
1930wl

OOPS!!!! Sorry David.

Only 400 TURBINE waivers, huh? Guess all of us D/F pilots don't count as "Jet Pilots" any more.

And someone called ME elitest once. Countryboy, B17flyer you're right on!!
Old 04-10-2002, 08:07 PM
DavidR

No I did not mean it in that way. If you go to the jet meets the majority of the airplanes are Turbine. If you read a little further down in the post I extrapolated the number to about 1000 that would include the DF guys. The turbine number was just something that could be quantified.

DR
Old 04-10-2002, 08:20 PM
1930wl

David,

Not to belabor the point, but I suspect a lot of D/F pilots would like to attend the jet meetings but cannot for one reason or another.

B17flyer,

I must be young at heart at 72. There are a lot of "Old Farts" half my age. Here in Booneville, we can't even get a club started, never mind develop interest in jets.
Old 04-10-2002, 10:21 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dunno...I fly CL, FF, vintage RC with tubes and escapements, OT, Jets, a bit of indoor...all of those groups have been just as open and friendly as the jet jocks. SOME jet jocks can be cliquey or exclusive or whatever, but no more or less so than, say, SOME CL guys.
I travel with all sorts of weird crowds, I guess, but I would say that from my experience, the jet SIG, even including the DF guys, is much, much smaller than most. Ever been to the Flying Aces Nats or something like that?
Or one of the bigger IMAA deals?
But jet jocks are probably on the web a lot more than most...high tech, I guess!
Old 04-11-2002, 01:58 AM
buzzjones

Default jets

I think that there are fewer jet jockeys primarily due to the economies of scale associated with them. The average modeler simply cannot justify the cost. One ducted fan rig ready to fly can cost as much as some folks have invested in the RC hobby over thier entire RC careers. Turbines are simply out of the question. I love jets but I cannot justify the cost of kits. I am scratch building my stuff for a tenth of the cost of the lower priced market offerings. I had to sell a really nice 60 sized stearman ready to fly radio and all just to buy the fan and engine for my next project. I can buy a good used car for the price of turbine engine. Until a bit of sanity sets into the market a good many folks will continue to admire jets from the pit area.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:18 AM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no doubt that the high price of Jets and turbines are one of the reasons there are not that many jets flying. I for one cant justify the expense but I am flying DF and WILL have a turbine in the future! I have been flying for 26 years now and don't intend to die wishing that I had flown turbines.... Life is too short. If you want somthing there is always a way to get it ( save etc.) I think you will see more and more turbines flying in the future!
Old 04-11-2002, 11:20 AM
DavidR

ME262,

What does that have to do with anything? Maybe a lot of those DF pilots have already switched to Turbines as well.

Let me simplify it so you can understand. I would guess that there are approximatley 1000 jet pilots......some fly DF only some fly Turbine only, some fly both. There are 400 Turbine waiver holders that is the only solid number that we have that gives any kind of indication as to how many jet jocks there are out there. We are not a majority, and simply put we are one of the smaller groups of pilots within the AMA. I am not elitist and fly a lot of other types of models. Read the rest of my post you might not have misunderstood me. There is nothing wrong with DF jets, and yes you still count as a jet pilot......Jeeeeezzzzzzz.
Old 04-12-2002, 12:01 AM
1930wl

Wow!! A condecending Turbine Jet Pilot Elitist.
Old 04-12-2002, 01:52 AM
DavidR

Turbine envy....right?
Old 04-12-2002, 02:36 AM
buzzjones

Why not simplify it for yourself.
Stuff your head in your nozzle and hit the afterburner.
Old 04-12-2002, 03:12 AM
david200mph

IM JUST GLAD THERE ARE R/C FLIERS OUT THERE WHO ARE OBSESSED WITH JET AIRCRAFT AND ARE WILLING TO SHARE THERE EXPERIENCE WITH THE REST OF US ( JET NEWCOMERS ) WHO ARE LEARNING ABOUT THESE COMPLEX MODELS. KNOWING HOW TO BUILD THEM CORRECTLY AND WHAT TO BUY MAKES IT POSSIBLE TO SUCCEED AND TO POSSIBLY MOVE UP TO THE AIRCRAFT THEY HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO FLY SUCCESSFULLY. RATHER IT BE TURBINE OR DUCTED FAN. I HOPE THAT MORE R/C FLIERS MAKE THE TRANSITION OVER TO JETS SO THAT THE JET MINORITY WILL DECREASE. KEEP FLYING 200+.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:47 AM
1930wl

David and Forum,

Little did I think that an innocent opinion/observation would degenerate into a real dog fight.

I apologize to any and all. Dog fights belong in the air among advisaries, not in print among membets of the jet community.

Turbine R/C Jet Pilots ARE the elite of the hobby. But - being a member of the elite should not necessarily make one an elitist.

Turbine envy? Yeah, some of that. I don't have a turbine because I'm not good enough an R/C Pilot to fly one. So why waste money?

Let's get on to something constructive.
Old 04-12-2002, 02:33 PM
DavidR

ME262,

I don't know your name so can't call you by name. But anyone that knows me knows I do not take the Elitist position, never have. I fly jets because I love them, and fortunatley for me I can afford turbines. It just pulled my chain when my post was screwed around to make it look like I was saying something I was not. If you took my post as saying that DF pilots did not count as jet pilots you just did not understand the point I was making.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:54 PM
buzzjones

Stop apologizing!

were it not for dogfighting we would not have our beloved airplanes! We can't have fun if we can't knock each other around a little. I liken it to a friendly dissagreement in a bar where some guys bluster and beat their chests all in the name of fun.