Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

im never running my tc3 again

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 11:19 PM
packfan88
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im never running my tc3 again

what a pice of junk those differentials are.

the first time i drove it after taking out the front one way and its toast.
i emailed about 10 custom gear manufacturers on the web, and unless i get metal gears for inside there this thing is gonna sit on the shelf.

either that or im going to find a way to get LD3 diffs into the damn thing.
between the horrible heat/humidity and the hang over i was p.o. about the whole thing. maybe ill have a better attitude during the week but right now i could care friggan less.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:20 PM
BUGGIES_R_US

LOL

Heres an idea.

How about you fill the diff cases with 30 wt silicone oil?

That should do some good

ram
Old 08-04-2003, 03:07 AM
Smalls

Pack are you running a centax? Is it shimmed and set correctly? I have never heard of someone having such serious issues here. Can you take a picture of your broken diff for me? And what part of it is actually broken?
Old 08-04-2003, 09:12 AM
packfan88

this is my first blown diff.

i took the centax out cause its a piece of junk too. the black plastic gear gets stripped. i heard the fix helps, but i didnt see any for sale on ebay.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:07 PM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default Busted Diffs

I have heard lots of this from racers and on other boards, Diffs busting up.

There was a thread on here a time ago that listed a fix for it, do a search or click over to rctech.net.

There are also fixes for the other problems you will run into with the TC3 design.
Its been talked about thread after thread here on universe.
Do a search.

Dbow
Old 08-04-2003, 12:51 PM
mgreen

All the NTC3 people I race with have never blown diffs. They all have different setups but the same old diffs and they are running MT12's MR12's Collari's and Mod-motors. Some load their diffs up with different weight silicone oil and some run their diffs dry.

Please post a picture of your diff
Old 08-04-2003, 03:30 PM
Smalls

When people on the boards refer to blowing their diffs, they are talking about the cases. Yes that is a weak design and there are fix's available for it.

What black plastic gear are your stripping in your centax? My centax does not have any black plastic gears in it.

Also you must perform maintenance on your clutch. I.e. lube your bearings daily and check the play. Occasionally checking the flyweights, these will wear away over time.

I really need to see some pics. I and my friends and others I race with beat the snot out of our cars. Not hacking, but just really tough on them. I have never had any diff fail. Please email me the pics if you can not post pics.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:48 PM
NitroFreak

I have only had my TC3 for 1 week now, but my diffs look like new. I ran about 3/4 of a gallon through it so far. I just had to tighten the diffs back up after the first few tanks, which is standard for most diffs.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:48 PM
packfan88

smalls why would someone refer to a blown diff as a blown diff case?
they are two totally different things and if i have blown a diff case........i wouldn't even call it that i would say " I broke the plastic diff case"

i brought this up during the past week and not 2 tanks into my the front diff said KABAAM!!!!
no i didnt break the plastic case, the two junk plastic gears in there decided they didnt want to mesh and more and grenaded each other.

ill give it one more shot before i truly call it quits.
does anyone know makes "the fix" and if he has a web site or anything like that?
i saw them a while back on ebay but i guess they arent up there now. if you got a link drop it here so i can replace my diff (gears) and hope "the fix" truly is the fix.

smalls i got ahead of myself in my last reply and it might look to you like i meant the black gears on the centax.
what i meant was:
the centax is out of my car because i didnt like it anymore.

the gears i was referring to is the black ones inside the diff case.

sure ill get you guys some pics and i hope when you see them that you will never have to see them come out of your car. i dont plan on messing with it in the next fews days, cause my lhs doesnt have them in stock anyway. but as soon as they are out ill show you all what a "blown diff" looks like.

heres an email i got from one of the custom gear manufacturers i contacted on the web.
"Hello,

Please send both gears to me so that I can dimension them and give you a quote. Without a sample I have no way to give you an accurate quote.

Thanks,

Darick Naumowicz
Modern Gear & Machine, Inc.
406 Evergreen St.
Bensenville, IL. 60106
Ph: (630) 350-9173 Fax: (630) 350-1607
www.moderngear.com

if the ones i take out arent really toast, ill send them to him and see how much it would cost.
would anyone else be interested in buying them, cause im sure he wont make me 5-10 at a price thats to my liking.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:41 AM
Smalls

I would be down for 2 sets, you are doing th pinions as well, right?

I am not sure if "The Fix" will help your situation. Unless you are aware that they help the Diff cases from pulling apart under a load (accident) or do you think the cases might be twisting? and this is causing you to loose your mesh?

When you blew them, did you recently take a hard frontal hit? Just curious.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:08 AM
dbow

Default Diff Cases

Smalls is correct, the issue I have read about is the Diff cases themselves and not the gears inside.
I misread the post and thought you meant the Diff Cases.

So like smalls said I dont think "The Fix" would remedy your problem.

I guess I am known for badding on the TC3, its not a bad car really if you know how to drive. From my experience I have just seen too many come apart on the track with little impact. Some say they dont have any problems, so when I hear that I just assume someone knows how to keep it off the boards.

Well, I hope you find a solution to the problem, as with any car you will have to work out the bugs.
Once you get it right, Im sure it will be a good car for you.

Dbow
Old 08-05-2003, 08:41 PM
packfan88

"Well, I hope you find a solution to the problem, as with any car you will have to work out the bugs.
Once you get it right, Im sure it will be a good car for you."

the thing is that with the gears its a collection of guys running the tc3, so it really has nothing to do with driving style.
unless you mean take it easy on it( which none of us ever will) then im not sure what you mean.

smalls like you said maybe the diff case flexing might contribute to it because only one guy i know there has the fix in and he hasnt blown "that" diff yet. only the one with out the fix. it might help it but who knows.

anyone have a link to who makes the fix? if you got one from that guy you still have record of the payment or anything?
Old 08-05-2003, 10:53 PM
Smalls

Yeah, give me a couple hours. I will find it for you.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:49 AM
mgreen

just buy four 4-40 ( 1" 1/4 ) screws and place them into the two hole on the shock tower which is part number 2250.

Also, are you sure your running the right setup in your diff case. All my stuff is metal and it came that way from the store.

I"ve notice plastic looking diff gears at my local hobby shop for the TC3, but I always assumed that It was for the eclectic version, not the Nitro version.

Also, after replacing the four 4-40 x 3/8 screws with 4-40 x 1" 1/4 screws, the diff cases are OK. The 1" 1/4 screws keep the shock towers from striping out so easy from hard-driving and the occasional collision with the side walls.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:57 AM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

just curious with everybody having these probs has anyone e-mailed AE about all this? i mean i can imagine if this problem occurs alot AE would have to revise the car especially for its factory drivers since that would be embarrasing out on the track
Old 08-06-2003, 06:08 AM
Smalls

MGreen,I have already told you that only looks like it works. It still allows the tower to rock under a load. The machined nuts that the Fix supplies is made to fit the hole perfectly and the length from the shock tower to the diff is perfect also. I only say this cause I have tried that it, and is just a waste of time and money. I don't want you to think that I am bashing you, I just don't agree with you .

The diff gears are composite I thought. I Don't think they are metal. I am like 99% sure of this.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:33 AM
mgreen

I don't think your bashing me, your just telling me of your experience with the NTC3.

The cool thing about racing with a lot of people who run the NTC3 is that they will look your car over and tell you what works and what doesn't.

I just finished cleaning out and rebuilding my shocks and diffs. I did a light drop test on the diff gears and it had a metallic sounding hit to it.

When I was applying the 40 weight silicone diff lube, via small screw-driver, there was a metallic sound and fill to it. The diff gears might be made out of some metal composite.

packfan88, I think a picture of your messed up diff will shed the light on your problem.
Old 08-06-2003, 11:08 AM
dbow

Default Bugs

Pack,

I was just saying that just about any car has its little things that have to be worked out as in parts and configuration.
Some cars have more issues than others.

I was just reading that the new MTX-3 has some issues.

Dbow
Old 08-06-2003, 03:46 PM
Smalls

I like that car, the MTX-3. If they made a front diff for it, I would get it. I don't like having to be tied down to a one way for good. I rarely use them. I have one for my tc3/ntc3 but don't always find it helpfull.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:15 PM
dbow

Default Oneway

Smalls,

Im the same way, I really dont like the one way with my driving style. The MTX-3 looks good, and Im MUGEN all the way, but I usually wont grab a car right when it comes out. I usually wait a bit.
I had an MTX-2 and it was an awesome car, handled great and the parts were cheap.

To be real honest I have even thought about grabbing a TC3 just to fool around with. Right now I dont race so its not a high point on my list.

Dbow
Old 08-07-2003, 11:35 PM
packfan88

ne ine find the fix guys email address?
Old 08-08-2003, 01:00 AM
Smalls

Yeah I got it, I forgot all about it. Let me run to my basement put another coat of paint on my body and then Ill post it.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Smalls

Jim Reeves
His addy is
[email protected]