Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 30 mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 02:41 PM
Conrod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DLE 30 mufflers

HI
Has anyone done any comparisons between the standard and diffrent after market mufflers for the DLE 30, regarding noise levels and power loss (if any). Such as a Bisson wrap around muffler compared to the inverted muffler.

Geoff
Old 12-31-2010, 09:55 AM
tripower222
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DLE 30 mufflers

I have done a little research a what I have come up with so far. From a performance standpoint the stock muffler is one of the best choices available next to going with a tuned system, but it's also one of the loudest. The jtec pitts style muffler has the best chance of fitting inside the cowl without trimming. I went with the jtec. This is just what I have read and determined by looking at them. I have not personally tested them so I can't guaranty accuracy
Old 12-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

The stock 30 muffler is little more than an exhaust diverter. It has a bark! I ran the stock muffler for just a few flights then quickly switched to a Pitts style. The 30 idles better with the Pitts and throttles better throughout the whole RPM range. Did lose just a bit of top end power with the Pitts. Have seen both the J-tec and the Pitts sold by Valley View work well. I have not seen a Bisson Pitts for a 30 to make comparisons. As mentioned, the J-tec is very compact.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:14 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

The stock 30 muffler is little more than an exhaust diverter. It has a bark! I ran the stock muffler for just a few flights then quickly switched to a Pitts style. The 30 idles better with the Pitts and throttles better throughout the whole RPM range. Did lose just a bit of top end power with the Pitts. Have seen both the J-tec and the Pitts sold by Valley View work well. I have not seen a Bisson Pitts for a 30 to make comparisons. As mentioned, the J-tec is very compact.
Do you recomend to install a brace to the can on the Pitts exhaust to prevent problems from vibes? Thanks Capt,n
Old 12-31-2010, 12:52 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: Truckracer

Do you recomend to install a brace to the can on the Pitts exhaust to prevent problems from vibes? Thanks Capt,n
The 30 sized Pitts as discussed are very compact, well made mufflers. I don't see where you should need a support on these like you would a larger 50 sized Pitts muffler. It sure wouldn't hurt anything though!

There are some really cheaply made Chinese Pitts mufflers out there that should have the brace though. These usually have a round tube going from the exhaust port to the can.