Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Shockwave rc nitro wont start!!! :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 01:46 PM
turnermic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shockwave rc nitro wont start!!! :(

HI, everyone i have just bought this brand new, and i have done everything to try and get it started, bought a starter kit, fuel, extra glow plugs, did follow up on how to videos but it wont start..the engine is not flooded yet the pull starter is very hard to pull..and when i out the glow plug in and put it in snugg the pull start is also hard to pull, i have only got it started once and this yas yesterday after hours and hours of trying and everything was working fine for about 30-50 seconds and then the engine got really high revved and i had to shut it off, now it wont start again....ugghhh please help!!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 01:53 PM
rc awesome

Default RE: Shockwave rc nitro wont start!!! :(

Sounds like your fuel line is pinched or it has a pin sized whole in it. Could also be because of the cold weather, take it inside and use a hair dryer to warm the engine.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:56 PM
LDGILLS

What part of Pa are you in? If by some odd chance, near me, more than happy to help you out.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:48 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

try a new glow plug. sometimes they die quickly. it wont hurt to try a new one anyway.

the motor should be kinda hard to pull over...even with the glow plug out. it will be easier to pull once its broken-in
Old 12-28-2010, 05:16 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

click this link, basic tuning.

make sure you follow break in procedure from the manufacture.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10192204]link for tuning.[/link]
Old 12-29-2010, 07:37 AM
turnermic

OKay thanks guys for the help, Istill cant get it to run..i got it to run last night 2 times b 4 i shut it off cause i thoght it was getting high pitched again, which was stupid of me..and i think i was messing with the needles, and could there be something wrong with my igniter? i have 2 new glow plugs and they both work fine, also, the first night i did get it started there were bubbles in the fuel line, in which i did something ad it squirted out of the carb and it worked, but thats when it gt really high reved and i shut it off, now could it be something wrong with the needled, Its a redcat shockwave, with traxxas fuel. vertex vx.16 engine, Please tell me any other idea's why it wont start? Thanks
Old 12-29-2010, 08:18 AM
rc awesome

i'm pretty sure that most engines come pre set for break in, is this rc new? Keep running it even if you think its getting high piched, nitro motors are pretty loud.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:04 AM
turnermic

yes it is brand new, and i just cant get it to start... can you give me all your idea's? on why? Thanks
Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 82 Likes on 75 Posts

ORIGINAL: turnermic

yes it is brand new, and i just cant get it to start... can you give me all your idea's? on why? Thanks
This might have been said already, but make sure after trying to start it that you check the plug. If the element is wet its flooded. New RC engines can be tough to get started sometimes - usually if its overprimed. If the plug is dry, its not getting enough/any fuel. If this is the case, plug the exhaust and turn the engine over until fuel reaches the carb and turn it over one more time and try to start it.

If you messed with the mixture needles, put them back to what they were at. Once the engine is running, drive it around some until it gets warmed up. Minimum 200*F, Max 240*F.

These engines only need 4 things to run. Fuel, Air, Compression, and a Glowing plug. If the outside temp is colder than say 60*F, use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm the engine up to 90-100*F and it should start better.

One more thing - DONT FORGET to turn the Transmitter and Receiver on! If you don't and your throttle is open, it will take off and subsequently crash.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:03 PM
turnermic

Thanks, i have tried to heat it up with a blow dryer and that has worked very well, Where i live since its winter it normally 20-30 degrees out, so it is very hard to start, Now in order to start the break in process i need to let it run for 1 full tank first let it cool down, and then do what my manual says?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:20 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Thanks, i have tried to heat it up with a blow dryer and that has worked very well, Where i live since its winter it normally 20-30 degrees out, so it is very hard to start, Now in order to start the break in process i need to let it run for 1 full tank first let it cool down, and then do what my manual says?
IMO, to do it right you heat cycle it. That means you don't idle a whole tank. Get a temp gun or temp gauge (onboard) and start the engine and run it until the temp at the glow plug reaches 200-220*F. Once it gets to that temp shut it down and let it cool to about 70*F. I do it this way and usually do 10 cycles. I break the 10 cycles up in 4 groups - 1st group I dont go over 1/4 throttle, second group 1/2 throttle and so on. Most RTR engines are too rich to get warm enough - you may need to lean the high speed needle some to get the temp high enough - NOTE: you still want it slightly rich! The Temp is crucial - at about 220*F the sleeve is expanded fully. Any temp under this and its not expanded fully and excessive piston and sleeve wear will result.

In a nutshell - Run it nicely, slightly rich, and get it to 220*. Shut down, cool, and repeat. I go overboard with 10 cycles - you could probably get away with 6-8 and being okay. Doing this has worked well for me and many others.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:22 AM
turnermic

OKay so your saying i dont have to let it sit on a bloack to do all this, i can actually like what my manual says is do figure eights, at just tiny revs, then it gives you the whole thing on the break in process, its still hard to start its really being a pain in my ____. Thanks for your quick reply
Old 01-02-2011, 10:27 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

OKay so your saying i dont have to let it sit on a bloack to do all this, i can actually like what my manual says is do figure eights, at just tiny revs, then it gives you the whole thing on the break in process, its still hard to start its really being a pain in my ____. Thanks for your quick reply
Personally, I dont bother with "manufacturers break-in" processes. When you heat cycle, the engine is only running long enough to get hot. Once it gets up to temp you shut it down. My heat cycles dont last longer than 3-5 minutes each. You can drive the vehicle in any way you want, you just want to ease into how much throttle you give it. When its brand new you want to pretty much baby it through the first few runs. Temp is critical.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 AM
turnermic

Alright Thanks, Now say i do this break in process which i know i need to , will it be easier to start?
Old 01-02-2011, 11:09 AM
rc awesome

It should run better, but really after tuning it will run much better.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:12 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Alright Thanks, Now say i do this break in process which i know i need to , will it be easier to start?
All of the new engines I've ever had started right away. When I start new engines, I heat them up to about 90-100* with a hair dryer, blow air through the pressure line from the muffler until fuel reaches the carb and give it just a little more. Heat the glow plug and start the engine. You can plug the exhaust stinger with your finger and turn the engine over to prime the engine but I prefer not to.

All engines should start quickly if all of the conditions are met. Once the engine is broke in, usually you shouldnt have to heat the engine up beforehand if you keep it inside.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:28 AM
turnermic

Alright sounds good, Now what about this gear mesh? and how do you adjust the brakes? WD40 4 after run oil?