Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RAM500, different pump, help.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RAM500, different pump, help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Patrick F
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RAM500, different pump, help.

Hi Guys, I am new to this turbine thing not new to rc just turbines here's my thing; i have a Ram 1000 that runs great, i picked up a Ram 500 from a friend well after replacing the pump and set out my ECU to Bob Price i got his latest ECU for the Ram 500 after putting eveything back in my plane and fired it up i noticed FLAMES out the back after ramping i throttle up to full throttle and puff a cloud of smoke,i started it up again and advanced the throttle slower to about half eveything seems OK i am afraid to go to full power, my question is i do not think the flames are normal what should i do??[]

Thanks Pat
Lasercut USA
Old 06-11-2010, 05:27 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the new nut for the larger bendix. I built a hand held wand starter (see pictures My wand starter worked on the bench at home for several starts. My goal was to reduce the airborne weight as much as possible by using the wand starter and off board propane tank.

The original shroud around the bendix is a very loose fit and that is the way I made my first wand. The problem comes when you forget to have the wand starter on the engine, you shut the engine down and it starts through the cool down phase with out the wand starter on the engine. Because of the loose fit and the mass of the large bendix it tends to whip and can even bend the motor shaft.

This week I built a new shroud around the motor with a very tight fit. Now the problem is I haven't been able to get a good enough alignment of the bendix in my wand starter and it binds when it extends to turn the compressor on start up.

I finally decided to accept the weight penalty of the on board starter but I need the new nose cone, the starter housing and the mounting standoffs the fit the large bendix and the matching nut.

I thought some one might have the parts I need from a scrapped engine. New parts to do the conversion back to on board start are very expensive.

I have started the engine just hand holding the starter motor with the bendix installed but I don't feel comfortable with my hand that close to the engine when it lights the propane.

See pictures below. The fod screen is hinged and flips down in place after the engine starts.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84402.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1451593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54903.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1451594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81453.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1451595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35603.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1451596   Click image for larger version

Name:	It10681.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1451597  
Old 12-15-2010, 05:48 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: sidgates

I have the new nut for the larger bendix. I built a hand held wand starter (see pictures My wand starter worked on the bench at home for several starts. My goal was to reduce the airborne weight as much as possible by using the wand starter and off board propane tank.

The original shroud around the bendix is a very loose fit and that is the way I made my first wand. The problem comes when you forget to have the wand starter on the engine, you shut the engine down and it starts through the cool down phase with out the wand starter on the engine. Because of the loose fit and the mass of the large bendix it tends to whip and can even bend the motor shaft.

This week I built a new shroud around the motor with a very tight fit. Now the problem is I haven't been able to get a good enough alignment of the bendix in my wand starter and it binds when it extends to turn the compressor on start up.

I finally decided to accept the weight penalty of the on board starter but I need the new nose cone, the starter housing and the mounting standoffs the fit the large bendix and the matching nut.

I thought some one might have the parts I need from a scrapped engine. New parts to do the conversion back to on board start are very expensive.

I have started the engine just hand holding the starter motor with the bendix installed but I don't feel comfortable with my hand that close to the engine when it lights the propane.

See pictures below. The fod screen is hinged and flips down in place after the engine starts.

I have the 3 standoffs and starter housing in good condition, but the shroud is badly damage. If you still need these parts its yours. Send me a PM. RCISFUN i must have miss this post
Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 PM
tjrhodes01

would any one have the old style starter motor and housing willing to sell if anyone does could you please shoot me a pm , thanks
Old 01-06-2011, 04:13 AM
funflyerf4
My Feedback: (6)

Anyone have a combustion chamber and fuel rail for a 500?

Thanks Frank