Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Xtra Easy

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 Xtra Easy

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 07:16 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hanger 9 Xtra Easy

Hi Guys!
I finally got my hands on my first real R/C plane. I've been modifying foam gliders and building SPAD type stuff and flying (crashing) them with an old td .049 I had leftover from my C/L days as a kid. I found an Xtra easy at a garage sale last weekend and got it for $60! I'm not kidding! Supposedly it was only flown like 3 times before the previous owner became disabled and stuck it in the attic 3 years ago. It has the MDS .40 in it and the JRXF421ex 5 channel radio. The radio works fine, I charged the batteries and they seem to hold charge. I have'nt tried the engine yet as I don't have the right nitro content fuel for it. I was hoping that some one might give me some advice on this plane. Should I replace the radio battries? Should I treat the engine as new and make sure it's been broken in correctly? Should I do any kind of "prep" to the engine before starting it, as it's been sitting idle for so long? Can I get a heating iron and restick the small parts of covering that have come away from the fusealage? Any tips or advice on this plane and setup that I should know of? I plan to join the AMA and find a club to join in the spring to receive instruction on how to really fly. Thanks in advance for all your help!
Old 11-24-2003, 09:59 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hanger 9 Xtra Easy

Im a newbie

Try posting this in the Newbies.

BUT in my opinion I think the batteries could use some charging.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:07 PM
cstevec

Do a little searching on the horizon web sight and you can probably turn up a manual for the plane which will give you a center of grav. for the plane.

check the batteries by turning on and "exercising" the controls every couple of minutes for about an hour, then measure with a volt meter. Reciever batt. should read at least 4.6 volts. If not you should probably replace it. Transmitter batt. should read around 9.0 or better. Batteries tend to go bad after setting for a while but can be replaced cheaply.

When I get ready to run an engine that has sat up for a long time I pull the glow plug and the back plate off and immerse it in kerosene/WD-40 mix for a while to make sure all the "crud" gets cleaned out of it then reassemble and run at a rich setting for a tank or two of fuel to loosen everything up again.

You have picked up a real find at a good price. The Extra Easy is an excellent flying plane and easy to learn to fly with but be warned, Hanger 9 no longer has parts support for this plane so if you give in to temptation and try to fly it on your own you may be back on the sidelines again looking for another RC plane.

Good Luck!
Old 11-25-2003, 11:47 AM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

You lucky dog! I paid $379 for my Xtra Easy 2-1/2 years ago.

I would cycle the batteries a couple times to make sure they hold a charge. After three years they should be okay, but I would check them. As far as the MDS goes, if you can turn it over by hand, I would just pull the glow plug, pour some glow fuel in the cylinder head, and turn the engine over a couple times to lubricate the internals. Then fire it up! If it bound up, do as cstevec said and pull it apart and soak it.

This is a great flying plane, you'll have lots of fun with it. Be sure to hook-up with a club and instructor. They'll get you in the air and soloed in no time. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2003, 04:38 PM
propbuster

Thanks for the advice guys! I've cycled the batties and they seem to hold up well. The engine turns over smoothly and seems to have great compression. Have been looking up on the MDS .40 and some people hate them and some think they're fine. Guess I'll have to fire it up and see if I have one of the good ones. I have read that some guys have had to shim up the trailing edge of the wing because of too much climb at moderate speed. I guess I won't know untill I get with an instructor and have him take her up. And as tempting as it is to fly her myself, I've waited way too long to finally get a real trainer to go destroy it on my own! Thanks guys,
Old 11-25-2003, 04:52 PM
cstevec

Glad to be of help.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:41 PM
flyfree69

propbuster,, my girlfriend started on the same exact set-up you have, it's a good flying plane and the mds-40 is still running good. the CG on the plane is 3 1/8 to 3 5/8 from the leading edge of the wing, the control throws are elevator 3/8-up 3/8-down rudder 3/4 right 3/4-left ailerons 1/4-up 1/4 down. i have a manual if you have any more questions feel free to write,,,, Larry
Old 11-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Congratulations and best wishes. I started flying my Hangar 9 Easy 2 (very similar) about two months ago with an MDS .48. I love the plane and the engine and I hope you love yours as much.

READ ALL YOU CAN about running the engine in if it has not been run-in correctly. Regards.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:46 PM
propbuster

Hi Flyfree, Checked out the throws as you gave to me and they all check out with the exception of the elevator. It seems to have been adjusted so as it has about 1/4 down rather than a neutral position. I'm thinking that this might be in compensation for the "climbing" problem I have read about. Wondering if I should reset it to neutral and see if the wing should be shimmed or just see how it does like it is. Thanks
Old 11-26-2003, 04:02 AM
flyfree69

i think the climbing problem is just the wing design, i didn't shim my wings i just used a little trim once it was in the air. the trims are easy to set with the radio. its a real easy plane to fly but it don't like real windy days. make sure you use a little runway when taking off, it will stall if you try to climb to fast. Larry
Old 11-26-2003, 10:08 AM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

flyfree69 is absolutely correct. There is no "climbing problem", its merely an effect of the wing design. The Xtra Easy has a flat bottomed wing, a design which produces a ton of lift. The tradeoff is that the lift is tied in with the speed of the plane. The faster you go, the more lift it will produce, hence the perceived "climbing problem". What you might consider doing is trim the elevator at a comfortable speed, say somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 throttle, and do most of your flying at that throttle position. After a bit of flying it won't become much of an issue. Good luck!
Old 11-27-2003, 09:39 AM
propbuster

Thanks for the input guys, it does make sense that with a flat bottomed wing the faster you go the more lift would be produced. I mean that's what it's supposed to do, go up! Makes sense to trim for level flight at say 3/4 throttle and leave it at that. I'm going to reset the elevator to factory specs and take it from there. Thanks
Old 01-09-2011, 07:54 PM
JMM65

HowdyThe extra easy is a great planedoes anyone know if ANYBODY services or has parts for the MDS40 (need a muffler) also looking for a bare extra easy fusalage
Old 01-10-2011, 03:43 AM
propbuster

First thing I did was swap out the MDS for an Evolution!! I do have an old fuselage laying around from when I put my 1st Xtra Easy though a tree. I'll have to dig it out and see what condition it's in. It may need just a little work but I'm pretty sure it's still all there as I saved it for some reason. I'll check it out for you if you're interested in it. Let me know.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 PM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

JMM65,
The muffler for a O.S. 46FX will fit the MDS. I also started with the Extra Easy, as a matter of fact, the gentleman I gave it to still has it and flies it occasionally. Also had the optional drop box for it - was tons of fun. Flew the heck out of that plane.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:57 PM
JMM65

Thanks for the help guysall were right the MDS40fs1wasy molded after the OS seriesmuffler fit fine

To PropBuster about the Extra Easy Fusalage-I would be interestedIm a newbie to the forumwhat do we do to contact you? Will you put it in the classified? maybe we should to protect each other If it is in good shape I would be interested, however Im in arizona (a far distance__

Otheres were right about the climb problemI fouind a little down trim was the easiet fixAND yur right do not climb out to fast