Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

odd little problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Telecaster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd little problem

For the last three days I've driven my Nitro Sport around, running great, no issues, run through 2 or 3 tanks of fuel and then put it away. I might stop and start the car a couple times each day and never a problem.

Well each new day when I pull it out I find that I have a bad glow plug.

I've been playing with the engine temps a little so I could understand losing one throughout the process. I've levelled out the temp to around 260º so temp shouldn't be a factor anymore.

Any ideas?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:21 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Default RE: odd little problem

How are you shutting it off? Also, are you using ARO?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Telecaster
My Feedback: (1)

I shut it off by letting it run out of fuel or by pinching the fuel line.

I don't know what ARO is....
Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 AM
FahrtAutoRC

After Run oil, not really a factor here but always a decent suggestion.

Maybe try running a different fuel? if it is fouling plugs it is because not all the fuel is burning off when you are running, OR there is still some left behind when you put it away and it is drying and gumming it up. Are you running it too rich?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:44 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

letting it run out and pinching the fuel line are not the best way to shut the engine off seeing it causes it to lean out quite bad.

Best ways to shut it down (in this order)
Stop the flywheel with something. A pencil something or rubber (as to not scratch it) seeing usually there is a hole in a chassis right under the flywheel.
Plug the exaust. Covering the exhaust is the 2nd best way. It doesn't lean the engine out. But this sometimes will hurt[:@]
Cover the intake. Some intakes are quite easy to plug. Especially on the lower end of the spectrum like the .12's, and .15's

After run care
Use ARO if you feel like it. Some people say its worthless some swear by it. I use it seeing IMO its better to error on the side of caution, at $7 a bottle it won't break the bank, unlike a $150 engine, and last a long time. I've had mine like 2 years. I also use it occasionally to lube up a screw if its stuck and I can't find my WD40

Store the piston at BDC (Bottom Dead Center) Basically just make sure the piston is at the bottom of its stroke when your done running. Doing this will get you the most life out of your engine.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:56 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Wouldnt leaning it out give it LESS fuel then thereby lessening the chances of fouling the plug? Plugs dont get fouled by air.
ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

letting it run out and pinching the fuel line are not the best way to shut the engine off seeing it causes it to lean out quite bad.

Best ways to shut it down (in this order)
Stop the flywheel with something. A pencil something or rubber (as to not scratch it) seeing usually there is a hole in a chassis right under the flywheel.
Plug the exaust. Covering the exhaust is the 2nd best way. It doesn't lean the engine out. But this sometimes will hurt[:@]
Cover the intake. Some intakes are quite easy to plug. Especially on the lower end of the spectrum like the .12's, and .15's

After run care
Use ARO if you feel like it. Some people say its worthless some swear by it. I use it seeing IMO its better to error on the side of caution, at $7 a bottle it won't break the bank, unlike a $150 engine, and last a long time. I've had mine like 2 years. I also use it occasionally to lube up a screw if its stuck and I can't find my WD40

Store the piston at BDC (Bottom Dead Center) Basically just make sure the piston is at the bottom of its stroke when your done running. Doing this will get you the most life out of your engine.