Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

RC Car Offroad Surface

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 02:53 PM
GAV00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC Car Offroad Surface

Does anyone know what is the best material to build an RC Offroad Track in your backyard out of?
We were thinking of using a fine granite rock base or a topsoil, or another type of gravel.
We want to know what will be the best for keeping the dust levels down, (to not annoy the neighbours), something that will compact down and hold its shape with out being to hard wearring on our tyres, something able to be used as a permanent outdoors uncovered track without washing away in the rain(not that it rains much). The cars we will be running are 4x4 10th scale electric trophy trucks.
Does anybody know what material they use on the indoor "dirt" tracks? As they seem to have low levels of dust kicked up.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
</p>
Old 01-27-2011, 02:56 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Default RE: RC Car Offroad Surface

Clay, then tamp it when you are done building, and lightly hose it before use.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:38 PM
rc awesome

What cerealkilla said
Old 01-28-2011, 03:25 AM
GAV00

thanks for that

how do you shape it

do you start with the track and jumps then cover it in clay
or do you find clay soil and make the hole thing out of it ?
Old 01-28-2011, 04:25 AM
FahrtAutoRC

What we do here for our indoor and outdoor track is bring the clay in and make the whole track out of it, then we shovel and rake it all into shape, then rent a walk-behind gas-powered tamper and water it a lil bit then tamp it, and if the tamper starts stickin too much throw a fine layer of dust on it like flour on a baking pan, but it does come out real nice. The tamping and forming take a lot of pratice to perfect but as you can see the results are well worth it! Here is our latest layout, its already a month old so we will be rollin out a new one in a couple more weeks. Lol Just noticed I can see myself in th window on the last pic, standin there scratchin my baldhead haha
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88664.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1554459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50784.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1554460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af88252.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1554461   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx66155.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1554462  
Old 01-28-2011, 06:56 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: cerealkilla024

What we do here for our indoor and outdoor track is bring the clay in and make the whole track out of it, then we shovel and rake it all into shape, then rent a walk-behind gas-powered tamper and water it a lil bit then tamp it, and if the tamper starts stickin too much throw a fine layer of dust on it like flour on a baking pan, but it does come out real nice. The tamping and forming take a lot of pratice to perfect but as you can see the results are well worth it! Here is our latest layout, its already a month old so we will be rollin out a new one in a couple more weeks. Lol Just noticed I can see myself in th window on the last pic, standin there scratchin my bald head haha
looks like a nice track
Used to be and indoor one by me that was set up similar that(20 mins away) I saw pics of. They were forced to shut down a week before I found out about it(from what I read it was something about the suburb they were in demanded they be zoned, and insured as an amusement park...) [:@]
Now the closest indoor offroad track I know of is like 1.5-2 hours away...
Old 01-28-2011, 02:00 PM
GAV00

Thanks for the info

now all i have to do is find clay</p>
Old 01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Should be able to find it thru the same places you would get your gravel or any other surface, and if not, they should be able to tell you where to get it!