Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

some questions about hornet 300

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

some questions about hornet 300

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 01:10 AM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some questions about hornet 300

Ok first off i have just started to read through the helicopter section of the forum and i have to say that i am gonna be a retard and get a hornet 300 with absolutly no flying expirience. I am looking to actually trade my nitro buggy for one.

My first question is going to have to be where am i going to be able to pick up parts for this as i know i am gonna need them once i start flying.

Also i might go and pic up a flight sim but i doubt it as i will have no access to a cpu after the end of sept. and unless for some odd reason there is one availalbe for the ps2 there is just no point.

Now is there any tips anyone can provide me on flying and what not i know i have to learn to crawl before i run meanin i definatly have to learn how to hover first. but any tips on learning to hover. i plan on doing this somewhere fairly wide open as to not damage anything and i am gonna see if i can make a trainer lightweight trainer device for it to minimize damage

and help with anything from you guys would be appreciated as this is the first time i will be off the ground (been on the ground with cars and trucks since i was 5 back in 1989
Old 08-07-2003, 02:18 AM
KeithK
My Feedback: (4)

Default Don't do it!

If you have to get a helicopter consider the Corona or the Hummingbird first. Trust me, it costs $$ every time you crash a Hornet. If you still want one go to http://www.hornet-heli.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi it has all the vendor, tips etc.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:27 AM
Shadow102
My Feedback: (5)

yeah i would defiantly get a corona unfotunatly i am trading my nitro buggy and the guy wants to trade me his hornet for it so i am stuck with the hornet
Old 08-07-2003, 12:04 PM
rototiller

I disagree that a Hornet costs big dollars everytime you crash. I have a Hornet and have yet to spend any big money on a crash. I have required only CA or JB Weld to get back in the air again.

I am new to RC Helis (just started flying 30 nitro and micro electric this year) and heard many people say that Hornets are fragile, but I have yet to see any evidence of that. I think part of the reason people say that is because you must build the Hornet up from parts, and many people are probably crappy builders, so when they crash, it blows completely apart.

I contrast my Hornet with my friend's Hummingbird. He just started flying helis this year too. He is on his third set of blades, third tail motor, second main motor, many main and tail pinions etc.

Having said that, the Hornet does have its shortcomings, as do all microhelis. The tail takes more to set up, but because it is shaft driven, when it is set up correctly, is far more responsive than the motor driven tail of the Hummingbird. And I believe it is harder for a beginner to fly than a Hummingbird (having flown both), but is likely more impressive than a Hummingbird when flown by an expert (i.e. not me).

I also think that the Hornet's stock tail pitch slider leaves alot to be desired - the newer ones from MS Composit are better, and the aftermarket ones are best.

Just my $.02