Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Panzer 4 project

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 04:30 PM
tankbuilder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Panzer 4 project

heres my progress on a panzer 4 project. what do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14209.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	1563750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83869.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	338.4 KB
ID:	1563751  
Old 02-15-2011, 01:34 PM
1sgt

Default RE: Panzer 4 project

Tankbuilder,
Pretty unique PZ IV. You know you can cut the bugs eye headlight flush with a razor saw and it'll still work. I then put a sliver of tape across the center and paint. Comes out as a good copy of a shielded headlight. Also if you like, you can replace the apple muzzle brake with one from a Panther G. It gives it a more German look. Nice tank.

Jim
Old 02-15-2011, 02:50 PM
tankbuilder

how do you cut the lights off and still have them work? isnt the led at the top of the light fixture? anyone else have some opinions on how it looks? theres alot of views and only 1 reply. i know its not a traditional color scheme or camo pattern, but like 1sgt said its unique. just curious what my fellow tankers think of it
Old 02-15-2011, 03:06 PM
rgallant

I am more of a traditionalist but what is important is do you like it. Also having seen some the camo schemes field units came up with you never know, that scheme could have actually existed somewhere. Also remember the paint was often thinned to stretch it as well as mixed with other colours to make a shortage go further.

The Russians tried painting the tops of some T34's to resemble tire tracks to guard against observation aircraft.

The muzzle break is fine for the version it is, there were not a lot of them and they gradually got converted.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:10 PM
1sgt

ORIGINAL: tankbuilder

how do you cut the lights off and still have them work? isnt the led at the top of the light fixture? anyone else have some opinions on how it looks? theres alot of views and only 1 reply. i know its not a traditional color scheme or camo pattern, but like 1sgt said its unique. just curious what my fellow tankers think of it

I have cut numerous headlights flush with the light housing without any problem. I have done it on My PZ IV, Tiger 1, Panther G, Jagdpanther. and all still work. The Led's used have a large clear plastic covering, all your doing is trimming that back. The elements from the Led's never protrude. Like I said, all I do is put my razor saw even with the light housing and cut. I have included-ed a couple pics to show what I mean.

Jim

PS hope you can see what I mean. JR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95726.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1564476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30324.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	1564477  
Old 02-15-2011, 07:06 PM
philipat

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's interesting.  As long as you like it, then it's good.  I'd stay with the muzzle break as is if you want an F2.  The Panther break isn't quite right.  Or, swap in the Stug III muzzle break for an Ausf G.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:08 PM
tankbuilder

i was out driving it tonight and when i got in the muzzle break was gone. i went out looking for it and cant find it. maybe someone here will have a spare. i like how it looks for the most part. i still need to add a filter to it to smooth the edges of the colors together and dull the whole thing down some. overall i like how it looks. eventually i might strip it down and paint it a greyish color with heavy rusting. for now im going to drive and enjoy it as is!
Old 02-15-2011, 10:12 PM
philipat

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If no one has any spares, check with Mato Toys.  You can usually get them from there.