Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Drove in a puddle of water Need Help!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Drove in a puddle of water Need Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:39 PM
ready2go

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drove in a puddle of water Need Help!!

I have a redcat tornado epx, I ran the buggy in a puddle of water, and now i cant drive at all. i cant get power to control the steering , forward or reverse. what do you think it is? any help will be helpful
Old 02-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Sigma.40
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Drove in a puddle of water Need Help!!

I'm thinking you fried the electronics. Try drying everything off quickly and putting them back into the car. If they don't work, you could always try opening them up and using pure alcohol on them. My friend tried that and it worked. If your oven has a real low setting you also may be able to put them in there for awhile. I fixed a waterlogged cellphone that way once.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Sigma.40

It's very possible that you just fried the speed control though. If that quit working you wouldn't have any power anywhere.</p>
Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best case scenario it's just the switch. Worst case scenario you've fried everything electronic on the car. I suggest you start isolating parts. Get your hands on a crummy but functional radio and use that to test your speed controller and steering servo.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:37 PM
ready2go

thanks for the replies, im trying everthing right now.... just in case it doesnt work what do you recommend i replace my brushless with? something that would be much much faster, for the ones that laughed with my misfortune .

Old 02-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

I pretty sure if you fried your servo its dead. I have heard of people drying it off really quick and then putting the servo in pure water. Something along the lines of minerals in the impure water is what hurts the circuit board not water itself.. But I'm not 100% sure about that lol!

Anyways nothing is working at all? Does it turn on at all? Does your charger say the battery has any juice in it? Worst case scenario is you have to replace your esc, servo, battery and rx..
Old 02-17-2011, 11:12 PM
Telecaster

I ran through a puddle once and it fried everything.

Another time(or 2 ) I ran through a puddle and fried nothing.

It's luck of the draw.

If you've got a hair dryer handy you could gently open the components and blast a little heat in there.

If you end up replacing the electronics I would keep the old ones. I've had bad electronics and let 'em sit in the closet for a long time and when I came back to them they worked fine. Can't explain why though...
Old 02-17-2011, 11:13 PM
Telecaster

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

I pretty sure if you fried your servo its dead. I have heard of people drying it off really quick and then putting the servo in pure water. Something along the lines of minerals in the impure water is what hurts the circuit board not water itself.. But I'm not 100% sure about that lol!

Anyways nothing is working at all? Does it turn on at all? Does your charger say the battery has any juice in it? Worst case scenario is you have to replace your esc, servo, battery and rx..

the cleaner he water, the less conductive it is. But I still wouldn't recommend putting water on electronics.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:45 PM
lez1troubles

Next time your going out in the wet put your receiver in side a condom or balloon and zip tie it shut, do the same with your reciever batteries.
You can water proof your servo's by un screwing the top and stuffing some thick grease inside (no it will not damage anything) and use liquide rubber around all the casing and screw holes.
Thats what I like to do and it works a treat.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:52 AM
22johnq

iv fixws servos by opening them up and useing a hair dryer ...never manged 2 fix a esc ,,
Old 02-18-2011, 10:10 AM
Ttowntoolman

Put your ESC in a baggie full of rice and try it again tomorrow. Do the same with the reciever and the servo. If there is water inside and you keep trying it it will do permanent damage. The rice will suck all the moister out of your electronics, if you did not short them out, they will all work again! Good luck! Dropped my cell phone in the toilet just two weeks ago,[:-] did the bag-o-rice trick and the next day all was fine! I have done this with an esc before also, worked fine again. I have lost a reciever due to water damage though, just a puddle also......good luck.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:55 PM
rc awesome

Silicon gell beads work really good to. You could have fried your electronics. And why do you want to replace to motor? It should work after.</p>