Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

new guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:22 PM
dunbarrunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new guy

I'm new to the sport. I grew up running little Wal-Mart RTR's but nothing really nice. Ijust recently decided to get into RC because I have a lot of time on the weekends and a few bucks to spend. I bought a Traxxas Slash 4x4. Just got it today and I've had it out a couple times. Right now I'm just looking at bashing. I might get into racing but right now its just fun to run it around for a bit. my question is this: What kind of hop-ups should i put on it and when should i start? I bought a speed charger and a 7.2v 6cell battery, but I really don't know what that means or how it compares to the stock 8.4v 7cell except that its lighter without the extra cell.Howdo they differ in performance?The LHS I bought it from told me i could upgrade later to a LiPo and it would take the top speed up to its max. I'm not ready for that yet.
Overall I am initially happy with my new toy. It is very fast and light and I've had it on pavement and short loose grass and seems to handle very well. Although I have to get the hang of taking sharp turns as I have flipped several times already. Any advice would be helpful and hopefuly I can enjoy many years with my new hobby.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:00 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: new guy

LiPo is definitly the way to go once you have gotten the hang of it and feel you are ready. As far as hop-ups, it really depends on what you do most, flat land, rough stuff, pavement, big jumps. I could recommend RPM A-arms but then if you are just running it thru easy stuff you may never have a need for them. Play with it for awhile and figure what you want to do with it, its a great truck! i have had mine for some time now and love it!
Old 02-18-2011, 05:02 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: new guy

Lipos will last longer per charge than NiMH. I suggest getting one with a large capacity but a slow discharge rate. Your LHS guy oughtta be able to point you to such a battery. The longer you can run it the more fun you can have with it, after all.

As for hopups, look at wheels, tires and bodies. Tires can have a huge effect on how the truck behaves, while the bodies and wheels can let you customize it to suit your own unique wishes.