Colored Smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2002, 01:20 PM
FullScalePilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Colored Smoke?

Hi All

How or where to i get different color smoke?
Old 04-12-2002, 06:48 PM
phughes

Default Colored Smoke?

I am pretty sure that it will require quite a bit of doing. Not from experience, as I only use super dri, and get tons of white smoke from my Brison. I have been told that since the smoke is simply smoldering fuel (for lack of a better description) thus coloring the fluid would do nothing. The only answer that seemed practical for model use was to get the colored smoke generators, although you will be limited to lighting them and not being able to turn the smoke on and off. I might be wrong, but from other forums I seem to remeber that this was the only was to do it. Hope other chime in as this would be of interest to me as well.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:03 PM
vica6m5
My Feedback: (2)

Default Colored Smoke?

phughes, where do i find super dri smoke? I tried 50,50 mix of diesel and trans fluid it works ok but i would like to try other options ...Thanks Vic G.
Old 04-12-2002, 10:41 PM
pogo3033
My Feedback: (5)

Default Smoke

http://www.mdw-aviation.com/ this is Superdri's web site, they are in Bridgeview, IL heck, might just be in your backyard.

Dick Kelly
Old 04-13-2002, 02:11 AM
vica6m5

Default Colored Smoke?

Hey Thanks 3point for the info,to bad Bridgeview is about a 4 hour drive north but still in my state...Thanks Vic g.
Old 04-13-2002, 06:34 AM
mec

Default Colored Smoke?

maybe you search for "red arrows" aerobatic jets in a search engine. there is a FAQ about colored smoke.
hope you will have more success than i had.

mec
Old 04-13-2002, 11:26 AM
IMAC Buff
My Feedback: (8)

Default Colored Smoke?

Have not seen anyone that has made colored smoke work.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:47 PM
mec

Default Colored Smoke?

here is the link for the colored smoke of the "red arrows team":
http://www.raf.mod.uk/reds/faqs.html#faq8

mec

p.s.: i have seen colored smoke from an model airplane at the jet WM 1999 in zeltweg, but i do not know if it was done with pyrotechnics or otherwise.
Old 04-17-2002, 08:49 PM
phughes

Default Colored Smoke?

Does anyone know if the process for developing smoke in full size aviation differs from the scale model scene? What I mean by this is the process to dump raw fuel into the muffler to produce smoke? If so I would ask the question how are the jets in the previous post getting such a great color? Like I said previously . . burning a fluid that is red usually produces a white smoke, so I am wondering if the process is different in the "real" planes?
Old 04-17-2002, 10:09 PM
vica6m5

Default Colored Smoke?

You have to use a chemical of some sort I check the Red Arrows web site and there is an explanation on how they do colored smoke and a web address of the chemical co. I tried to check it out but got nowhere. Vic Gasparini
Old 04-21-2002, 01:14 AM
ifly3d

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Colored Smoke?

hey have any of you guys tried to use smoke that they use in movies or in night clubs. I used to to work for a company that sold that stuff and I can tell you the smoke machines work the same way as it does in a plane, but the only thing is I cant remember the temp that those machines run at but you can get some very cool colors out of them. I think I might call my friend over there and some colored smoke and try it
Old 04-21-2002, 01:29 AM
FullScalePilot
My Feedback: (3)

Default Ifly3d

hey have any of you guys tried to use smoke that they use in movies or in night clubs. I used to to work for a company that sold that stuff and I can tell you the smoke machines work the same way as it does in a plane, but the only thing is I cant remember the temp that those machines run at but you can get some very cool colors out of them. I think I might call my friend over there and some colored smoke and try it

Please Let us know if this works!!!! and if so where we can all
buy it!!!

Thanks