Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

my buggy pull cord is locked solid!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Go Gators

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my buggy pull cord is locked solid!

<span style="font-size: medium">HI, recently bought a red cat buggy and broke it in as instructed about 2 weeks ago and all of a sudden today I was running it and it suddenly shut off. i tried to restart it but the pull cord was frozen locked. i even pulled the plug out thinking it was flooded as ive read on several forums and it still would not pull. I dont want to keep trying to pull the cord since i might snap it. HELPHELPHELP! What is wrong? Help! and thanks John</span></p>
Old 02-20-2011, 03:57 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: my buggy pull cord is locked solid!

Pull the engine, then CAREFULLY remove the pull starter. When you have the four screws out, put a common screwdriver between the starter and backplate, up against the start shaft that's in the middle of the backplate, and gently pry up so as to keep the spring from exploding out of the housing. Once the starter is off, try turning the engine again. If it spins freely your pull starter exploded, if it does not your engine exploded.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Go Gators

how do i turn the engine without the starter? remember im a newbie.Thanks man!
Old 02-20-2011, 04:22 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With your fingers. With the engine removed from the car you should have no problem grabbing the flywheel and turning it by hand.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:33 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

If the engine itself locked, it may have been a lean run. Take the plug out, put a few drops of oil in and let it set an hour or two. Try to turn it by hand - no pliers! If it needs more force, remove the motor, take off the clutch, and retry. If it needs more force, wrap the area a couple times with paper towel and lighyly grip with channel-locks or big pliers. It should pop. Beyond that, you may have to disassemble the motor. Let us know how it looks, take you time.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:35 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

If the engine itself locked, it may have been a lean run. Take the plug out, put a few drops of oil in and let it set an hour or two. Try to turn it by hand - no pliers! If it needs more force, remove the motor, take off the clutch, and retry. If it needs more force, wrap the area a couple times with paper towel and lighyly grip with channel-locks or big pliers. It should pop. Beyond that, you may have to disassemble the motor. Let us know how it looks, take you time.