Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

New to RC and would like some tips on what to get first

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New to RC and would like some tips on what to get first

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:03 PM
saucySavy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to RC and would like some tips on what to get first

sorry but i have to get in on this!
sure everyone has a lucky car that goes for ever, but seriously american cars are no match for the foreign cars in the long run! ford is the only american car i would even consider buying, but they are still builtbadly. LOL and this is coming from a guy who works at a chryslerdealership
Old 02-22-2011, 04:04 PM
schuttman

Location: m\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'boro, TN
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

378 dude you crack me up, tell it like it is. Not to change the subject but autoxman never had a reply. The main reason I bought a 3500 dually was to pull up to 4 or 5 hrs and a full load I would say, truck, trailer, race car, equip, everything maybe 20,000 plus lbs...... The only thing that will get that done would be American bottom line. As far as autoxman maybe he can fill me in on how much it is worth never checked just know what I paid.
Sorry can't helponthe battries all I have are Nitros.....
ORIGINAL: 378

ORIGINAL: wolfgheist

I dont want to get Lithium? I want NIMH? About how long can I run on one of these battery packs? (Trying to figure out how many to get so I can have fun for at least an hour). Also an inexpensive, but safe and decent charger recommendation?
Lipo batteries should be able to give you 20-40 minutes of runtime depending on battery capacity and your driving style. Oh and they're perfectly safe too, provided you handle them correctly. Yes, they explode, but it's always because they're damaged and/or charged wrong. Treated right they're as safe as NiMHs.

A NiMH, by comparison, will only last about 5-15 minutes.
ORIGINAL: schuttman

I would like to see you pull a 40ft enclosed goosneck trailer with a Nissan Titan.. Now that would be some funny S**t....
It would do it, actually. But, seeing as it's only a half-ton, it wouldn't do it with a load.

Then again neither would an F150. Or a Ram 1500. Or a Silverado 1500. Those are the trucks the Titan is aimed at, those are the trucks to which it should be compared, and none of them are going to be pulling a 40 footer either. Nissan doesn't offer a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup, so you can't use a load that would require such a pickup to test one.

ORIGINAL: sloppyG

if you really wanted to support your local automakers, shuttman, you'd buy a nissan titan

they make those in your state
The Domestics are still made in America.

Well...the trucks at least...
ORIGINAL: Sigma.40

I had an '88 F150 with the 4.9L. I ran that thing through hell and back. Lasted forever and took alot to finally kill it.
lol mine still isn't dead. Excellent trucks. I wish the modern ones were built this well, and still had the 300 in 'em. And had a manual. And were half the size. And weren't horrible to look at.

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

LOL!

How much is your highly reliable vehicle worth?
500 bucks. Why, you ask?

Well, three reasons. One: Ford only made about five kajillion of them. With that many being made, and how reliable there are, it stands to reason that supply far exceeds demand. So they don't sell for much even in pristine condition. A numbers matching 0mile '85 F150 will only fetch ten to fifteen grand if you're lucky and it's got every option offered back then. Mine would be lucky to score 7500 if it was in mint showroom condition. Two: Cosmetically, mine's a wreck. There isn't a body panel on it that isn't dented, faded, or rusty. Also the dashboard is held on with wishes and good luck, and the dash doesn't light up at night. Modern car buyers obsess over cosmetic condition to the point they don't care how reliable it is, so to them my perfectly reliable old truck isn't hardly worth the metal it's made of. Three: It's 25 years old and it has 275 grand on it. Even a Ferrari with 25 years and 275K on the clock isn't gonna command much.

[/quote]
Old 02-22-2011, 08:32 PM
wolfgheist

If you are going to hijack the thread, can you at least try to help with my questions in the same post?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:50 AM
schuttman

Location: m\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'\'boro, TN

Hey bro I was making a statement to 378 not hijacking the thread !!!!! You need to go back and read thru the thread, I gave you my advice, don't do elect anymore.......

If you are going to hijack the thread, can you at least try to help with my questions in the same post?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:01 AM
wolfgheist

Hey bro I was making a statement to 378 not hijacking the thread !!!!! You need to go back and read thru the thread, I gave you my advice, don't do elect anymore.......

That is why Ihad the smiley face. :P

Ihad new questions, regarding 20C, 25C, 30C discharge rates and Turnigy batteries.

Ithink the last several were about cars. Ipersonally love my CTS and my F-150. Even though Ihave had nothing but problems with my F-150, Istill love it. Best car Iever had was an 87 Toyota Camry, put 350k+ miles on that car and never replaced anything but brakes, tires, wipers and fluids.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:29 AM
schuttman

Thats cool was not trying to re start anything from all of the other junk,its just 378 cracks me up, wish I could help on the batt. issue but I'm out on that, I would be lost as last years easter egg, Thats why I have stuck with nitro. Before the lipos came along it was like you had to buy the latest and greatest batts. almost every month, thats why I got out of elects.

That is why Ihad the smiley face. :P

Ihad new questions, regarding 20C, 25C, 30C discharge rates and Turnigy batteries.

Ithink the last several were about cars. Ipersonally love my CTS and my F-150. Even though Ihave had nothing but problems with my F-150, Istill love it. Best car Iever had was an 87 Toyota Camry, put 350k+ miles on that car and never replaced anything but brakes, tires, wipers and fluids.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 AM
wolfgheist

Well, have not seen a response to my 20C vs 25C vs 30C question, so I am going to go ahead and purchase 2 of the 25C variety.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14842

Looking at these three charges if someone can offer me some advice.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7523

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11340

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6792</p>
Old 02-23-2011, 12:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

20C 25C and 30C refer to discharge rates
to figure out discharge do C-rating X mAh's/1000
so for example a 5200 30C 2S lipo from turnigy would be 30X5200/1000 which equals to 156amps continuous current draw.
So the battery in my example is good to use on basically anything 1/8th scale and under
The ones you linked are good to 125amps continuous

Chargers I'd get 2 of those http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7028
Just know they require a DC power supply.

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27554 is a easy DIY thread on how to make one that kicks major ass. I built one after going through 3 other power supplies, you could easily run 6 of the chargers I linked off it
Old 02-23-2011, 12:07 PM
wolfgheist

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

20C 25C and 30C refer to discharge rates
to figure out discharge do C-rating X mAh's/1000
so for example a 5200 30C 2S lipo from turnigy would be 30X5200/1000 which equals to 156amps continuous current draw.
So the battery in my example is good to use on basically anything 1/8th scale and under
The ones you linked are good to 125amps continuous

Chargers I'd get 2 of those http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7028
Just know they require a DC power supply.

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27554 is a easy DIY thread on how to make one that kicks major ass. I built one after going through 3 other power supplies, you could easily run 6 of the chargers I linked off it
Thanks, how would Ilook up what a Traxxas Slash 4x4 VXL would need or be able to use safely in regards to continuous amps?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:28 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Technically its based on what the motor pulls
In the VXL's case its 65A's so the batteries have no issues at all

Side note you might want to order some 2S lipos too cause 3S can be a tad hard to control.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:13 PM
bronx boy

just keep running your cars in mud and water .you have nothing but time and money to fix them /you are probly the same type of guy whatching jackass laughing with a beer in your hand and wearing a mullit . dont you know that these companies are not in the buisiness to make r/c cars they are here to make money .so just keepbreaking stuff they lovewhen you do stupid stuff so does the hobby shop
Old 02-24-2011, 09:18 PM
bronx boy

dont get me wrong i beat my stuff up to a point im no wus but if it gets wet its by accident im not going to drive staight into a creek .in the past iv dont the ballon thing and the rtv when the say waterproff thats only goes so far bud