Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.
View Poll Results: A poll
Nitro
59.79%
electric
40.21%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Nitro vs. Electric

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 PM
tonywayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro vs. Electric

Im an old guy and started out nitro offcrouse and allways despised the little elec toys. untill a few years ago i got into brushless and havnt looked back. now i still love my nitros and all by surface vehicles are nitro but its just to easy to throw a lipo in a park flyer, step out the back door and launch it. But this is in the car thread so ill never owne an elec car unless its a toy from walmart. Nothing like hearing my jato fly by at 60mph on the pipe.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:47 PM
doug702
My Feedback: (1)

im a nitro nut and i love the smiley beating the dead horse
Old 02-24-2011, 08:02 AM
supac

I vote Nitro! I used to run and race competetivly electric back in the late 1998. Now that I am older 35 years old now, I want to get back into it. I like tinkering and just plain getting technical with it. I bought a used jato had that for a month and said screw it and bought an 1/8 buggy Associated Rc8rs. Loving nitro right now, the cleaning, babying, and just nonstop driving is great. I don't have to bring charger and extra batteries to track or field.

I will gr flames for this. I did noticed that electric racers ar less technical and not as knowledgable as the Nitro Guys. Nitro guys know anything from engine, cleaning tips, jumps, suspensions. Nitro guys just has better deeper understanding.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:56 AM
doug702

i hear some guys say that nitro requires lots of maintenence and upkeep and tuning i know not every nitro is like mine but i have an xtm xt2 with a 457 engine in it it easily has over 5 gallons of fuel through it and ive never had to mess with the needles however i did lean out the hsn 1/16 of a turn just because i could i run this car every weekend and if i can during the week since 2 yrs ago when i got it except when it was in need of new chassis parts because of the hard objects i hit its awesome not to have to tune it when i want to drive it but then i also have a tmaxx with the 3.3 that deffinently makes up for me not having to tune and mess sith the xt2 ive had brushed and brushless electric cars and boats to but now i only have nitro cars and boats and 2 gas boats fyi i am a firm beliver in after run oil every time you are done with nitro for the day if your interested theres a pic of my xt2 in my gallery
Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

They both have their place, and I run both. I like nitro better for the most part. Electrics are more hassle to me than nitro's are and I have had worse luck from them too. LiPo upkeep isnt hard, but its still a pain to always have to be careful with them, etc.... Nitro's have slightly more maintenance in the way of clutches, bearings, air filters, glow plugs, and gaskets, but still i rarely ever have to mess with that stuff.

The main reason i really even have my brushless truck is for hill climbing. It has reverse, instant torque for those steeep grades, and i usually run with my father in law so sometimes the quiet is nice so you can actually talk. However, we both seem to enjoy our nitro's a little more than our electrics.

Its truely personal preference. If you enjoy what you run, then what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

Also, this is not something that the cost should decide. Obviously for most of us, we have a budget in this hobby. However, it IS a hobby, and so if you are just running what you are because its the cheapest, then you probably arent enjoying it as much as you could. There isnt that much price difference in nitro and electric anyways.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:09 AM
doug702

nicely said
Old 02-24-2011, 12:45 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: doug702

nicely said
Thanks. I had an XTM XT2, and loved it. Mine had the 24.7 engine but it was a screamer and that buggy was built like a tank! I wish XTM was a little more main stream really.

Eric
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98687.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	1569270   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44958.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	1569271  
Old 02-24-2011, 06:03 PM
ggale
My Feedback: (6)

I don't have any electric, but believe it is a personal preference. To add electric would mean added expense. Expense that I could use to buy a new plane or kit. Then there is the "smell of nitro", the sound, tinkering with, etc. Pitting one against the other probably is unfair. The one type of model that I can see as a benefit for electrics are jets. Anyway, lets just enjoy our hobby in the way it works for each of us, and not knock anything new or old. Lets face it, ARF's, were once taboo for some over kits, yet have expanded the hobby to more people. Electrics are doing the same.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:20 PM
nitroholic

Couldn't of wrote any better,fully agre gg,took out my jato today,my brother came over,and swear to god as soon as i started it,he said god i miss the smell of nitro,cause he's into planes,right now though all his stuff is in TN.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:54 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have both.
nitro will always have that fun factor over electric, sound, smell, and power.
i vote nitro
Old 02-24-2011, 06:58 PM
rc awesome

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

have both.
i vote nitro
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:02 PM
nitroholic

I dream nitro,hope it doesn't cause some kind of cancer though.I think i read it on the bottle before.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86673.jpg
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	1569454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63773.jpg
Size:	118.0 KB
ID:	1569455  
Old 02-24-2011, 07:03 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rc awesome

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

have both.
i vote nitro
Couldn't have said it better.
wouldve said more but keyboard is busted useing on screen board
Old 02-24-2011, 07:37 PM
cummins driver

ORIGINAL: nitroholic

I dream nitro,hope it doesn't cause some kind of cancer though.I think i read it on the bottle before.
Everything is known to cause cancer in the state of california. I wouldnt worry too much about it.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:55 AM
Axxis

People complain about this topic being boring and that there are many liek it. People are also complaining about using the search function and that this topic is over used. Well did you pay attention to this thread? IT was started in 2008 so this isn't some new thread some newbie put up. Also if you dont like the topic why even come to the thread. Furthermore, why POST on it? Make no sense. . . . You complain about the post, it being boring and a waste of time YET you join the discussion. Iagree that this question doenst begin to cover this hobby but if there are that many people asking and if this is one of those questions that get asked over and over then maybe the newcomers arent' getting enough information. There is always going to be new people and this is just one of those questions that is going to be asked over and over. Not to mention the fact that the answer to this question is very likely to change several times so depending on when someone joins this is a very relevant read.