Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Ran into puddle by accident

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:23 PM
MiniMeDK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran into puddle by accident

Hello, I am new to the rc world and this forum. My name is mike and I have a problem <span roman="" new="" times="" style="font-size: 12pt;">I accidentally ran my electric rc drift from Redcat racing in a puddle of water, and Now will not go . It will turn on the red led indicates the rc is on. But when i try to sync it with the remote it does not sync. Usually when I start the rc it self it usually moves the steering wheel on its own. Than when I turn on my remote it would make a little noise. Now it does nothing but tells me led is on blinking. Do you know what the problem is? or just wait until everything dries?</span>

Here are some pics. Again sorry i am new to the rc world and I do not know what anything is.

<div id="refHTML">

As soon as I hit water I ran inside took everything apart (Disconnected the battery) and Blow dried it on low settings.</div><input type="hidden" id="gwProxy"><!Session data></input><input type="hidden" id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" /><div id="refHTML"></div>
Old 02-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Casper06

Default RE: Ran into puddle by accident

You'll have to let it dry out and see if it works. If you have a heating vent place it under that and let it sit for 24hrs or fan.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:46 PM
MiniMeDK

Update: I Blew dried a little and re connected the battery and turned it on and work like normal than I connected the remote it connected throttled a little bit and it worked, than it stopped and the LED of the RC continued to blink so I assume nothing is fried just water in the internal electronics
<div id="refHTML"></div><input type="hidden" id="gwProxy"><!Session data></input><input type="hidden" id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" /><div id="refHTML"></div>
Old 02-18-2011, 03:24 PM
icedude1989

if water is in the internal electronics then generally unless u are really lucky, it is fried. i have always heard that blow drying stuff or force drying stuff is the worst thing u can do. disconnect batteries and leave to FULLY dry, not a couple of minutes and ur already connecting the battery again. btw, i notice a bit of a noob thing in your sequence... u turn on the car, then the transmitter?? that is a very big no no. always turn on what gives you command of the vehicle first. then the actual vehicle. u do not start your 1:1 car and just go, u put hands on the steering wheel and pedals first..... always have control, then switch on the 'receiver'. <div>
</div><div>leave it to fully dry than try reconnecting it. if it does not do anything then most probably u fried it. or maybe just in case, check esc programming maybe it somehow lost those. the rest i dont know what else to think of</div><div>
</div><div>dave</div>
Old 02-18-2011, 03:43 PM
MiniMeDK

ORIGINAL: icedude1989

if water is in the internal electronics then generally unless u are really lucky, it is fried. i have always heard that blow drying stuff or force drying stuff is the worst thing u can do. disconnect batteries and leave to FULLY dry, not a couple of minutes and ur already connecting the battery again. btw, i notice a bit of a noob thing in your sequence... u turn on the car, then the transmitter?? that is a very big no no. always turn on what gives you command of the vehicle first. then the actual vehicle. u do not start your 1:1 car and just go, u put hands on the steering wheel and pedals first..... always have control, then switch on the 'receiver'.<div></div><div>leave it to fully dry than try reconnecting it. if it does not do anything then most probably u fried it. or maybe just in case, check esc programming maybe it somehow lost those. the rest i dont know what else to think of</div><div></div><div>dave</div>
<input type="hidden" id="gwProxy"><!Session data></input><input type="hidden" id="jsProxy" onclick="jsCall();" />

The electronics are not fried because it turns on and functions . Thank you for telling me about the turning on the right way. I always wonder why when I turn on the RC itself it steers on its own. Why I was in a rush to make sure it works? I have a warranty from the seller regardless of any fualt they would replace it. I will let it dry thank you for the help with the battery disconnected!

p.s the puddle was not deep , my car was not a submarine it went over a little one and it splashed inside my car.
<div id="refHTML"></div>
Old 03-06-2011, 09:52 AM
alexchen86

There are several easy ways to waterproof or at least splash proof any rc car/truck. You can do a search on YouTube and there are several videos from waterproofing receivers, servos, to ESCs.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby!