Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR 1222 Rx Question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR 1222 Rx Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:53 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JR 1222 Rx Question

Hi,

I'm installing a JR 1222 rx with two A123's and two ED switches. When one battery is plugged in (through the switch), you can turn the Rx power off. When both batteries are plugged in, you can't turn off power regardless of the on/off position on the switches. What's up with this? I've plugged and unplugged different things so I don't think it's switches...
Old 03-07-2011, 01:04 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: JR 1222 Rx Question

The switch is interenal in the receiver. The included switch with the receiver controls the soft switch inside the receiver. You cannot use other switches and plug power in through them.

So plug in the batteries to the EC3 connectors. There are not to be any switches inline with the batteries to the receiver.
Either plug in a bind plug or the included switch into the switch port.
Switch on and off to control or remove bind plug to turn on and install bind plug to turn off.

Why are you using a 1222 when you fly Futaba? or are you building something for someone else? just curious
Old 03-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: John Redman

The switch is interenal in the receiver. The included switch with the receiver controls the soft switch inside the receiver. You cannot use other switches and plug power in through them.

So plug in the batteries to the EC3 connectors. There are not to be any switches inline with the batteries to the receiver.
Either plug in a bind plug or the included switch into the switch port.
Switch on and off to control or remove bind plug to turn on and install bind plug to turn off.

Why are you using a 1222 when you fly Futaba? or are you building something for someone else? just curious

Hi,

Thank you. Yes, that's my understanding of the system, but my customer (I'm assembling this ARF for another pilot) specified this equipment preference and sent the gear to me for installation. Supposedly, the Electro-Dynamics switches have fail-on technology, but I don't really see any of that in the literature. Anyway, I think the customer wants to be able to charge and balance through the switch (thus the ED switch) but if there's a way to turn the thing off when there are two batteries plugged in, I can't figure it out.

I still own several JR radios. I use a 10X with a 2.4 module for most applications, but I have a project I'm working on that requires 12+ channels. I have not, as yet, flown anything with the 12FG so I'm not sure I can say I "fly Futaba."

Thanks for your input, and for any further insight you might have on why the thing can turn on/off when one battery is in but not when two...
Old 03-07-2011, 02:07 PM
John Redman

TOugh one, never tried it with switches in line like that. Have you tried without the switches?
Old 03-07-2011, 02:17 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used 2 heavy duty smart-fly switches with a 1222 in my IMAC plane. I also charged through the heavy duty switch with no problems.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Shaun Evans

ORIGINAL: dubd

I used 2 heavy duty smart-fly switches with a 1222 in my IMAC plane. I also charged through the heavy duty switch with no problems.
Hi

Did you experience this at all? It seems weird because if the switch is working properly, there should be a mechanical break in the power circuit and therefor no power to the rx right?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:43 AM
Boating Bob
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John is there any advantage or disadvantage in using a bind plug to turn the receiver on or off. Over the switch
Old 03-08-2011, 05:48 AM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1...I use the Fromeco Wolverine Switch with Regs and the 1222Rx. Have had no issues at all with switch use and charging through the switch ports itself.

Rex
Old 03-08-2011, 07:28 AM
AndyLow

Hi

Our switches are NOT "fail-on", and many customers ARE using them on JR 1222 Rx's with NO issues. It IS possible to use our ED-Nano (A123)'s on JR 1222 with or without our switches, and even charge the batteries in-situ without switches, if certain rules are followed.

Please call me at our toll-free number 1-800-337-1638, ask specifically for Andy. I'd like to get to the bottom of this issue and sort things out.

We are here to support our customers, 110%! You'll be able to speak to a [link=http://electrodynam.com/rc/aboutus/index.shtml#Andy]qualified electronics/aerospace design engineer[/link], whenever necessary. We are TOTALLY committed to our customers having a "No-Hassle" experience with our products!

Andy Low
President
ElectroDynamics, Inc.
Home of "No-Hassle" RC Electronics
[link=http://electrodynam.com/rc/EDNano/]ED-Nano - Complete A123 battery systems everyone can enjoy![/link]
[link=http://www.electrodynam.com]http://www.electrodynam.com[/link]
Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi

Did you experience this at all? It seems weird because if the switch is working properly, there should be a mechanical break in the power circuit and therefor no power to the rx right?
Nope, never experienced what you're describing and I used this set-up in three 40% IMAC planes.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:04 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have both switches in the off position but the receiver remains on, you must have a defective switch... I often use dual switches (Fromeco Wolverine) with JR power safe receivers to avoid the need to disconnect the batteries when the aircraft is down for a prolonged period and simply leave the soft switch disconnected. I just connect the switches between the batteries and the EC3 connectors on the receiver. If both switches are actually off, there is no power getting to the receiver so it must turn of...

Wayne
Old 03-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

Just spoke to Andy at ED who, by the way, reached out to me in an effort to help figure out what's going on. I'll call him back and go through a diagnostics over the phone when I'm in the shop.

When a manufacturer initiates a call like that when his product is only one component in the problem in question... that's customer service at its finest. Pretty impressive.
Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 PM
tothemax

So what was the resolution to this problem ?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:46 PM
John Redman

Hey Boating Bob,

No real difference, just a bit cleaner on the install and I always have a bind plug handy. Mainly just a personal option.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:04 PM
Shaun Evans

Hi,

I'm not really sure, but either way, we (E.D. and I) did some diagnostics over the phone. They really wanted to see the stuff in person, so they overnighted me two new switches (even though only one is acting funny) and asked for the others back. Again, that's singular customer service.