Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

New toy, which nitro MT to get

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Dr. Blockhed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New toy, which nitro MT to get

I just got an ofna ultra lx one buggy for xmas and now that I have the itch, I want a MT.

I've been looking around and have read a bunch of different things about each one, some good, some bad. My lhs has trax, team assoc, losi and ofna stuff in stock.

My budget is around $400 and Iwant a RTR, I'm not looking for a kit.

I'm leaning towards the savage 4.6, any thoughts?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: New toy, which nitro MT to get

Losi XXL is king, if you can up your budget. Worth it.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Savage X is a great truck
Old 03-08-2011, 03:07 PM
futureboy1969

XXl or Savage
Old 03-09-2011, 11:05 AM
bronx boy

stormer has a associated monster gt for 299.00 that leaves 100 for a nice pipe and hump pack an d failsafe/ if you are looking for a sweet deal they hane a hot bodies lightning pro rtr for 349.00 this thing has every possible aluminium hop up standard its 349.00 and roto start beleive me when i say you cant beat it for the price check it out also it has as much ground clearence as most monster trucks
Old 03-10-2011, 01:56 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Go with a monster GT 4.6 or a Savage 4.6. Both great trucks, both meet your price requirements. The losi isnt worth the extra IMO.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:18 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another +1 for either the Savage or Associated trucks.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Dr. Blockhed

Thanks for the input guys, what about the Assoc mgt 8.0? I know it's a little more money but if it's worth it, I'd go for it. The savage 5.9 is out of my price range as is the losi. I'm ok w/ the wife getting mad, but don't want to get a divorce.

Which is easier to work on, hpi or assoc? I haven't heard too much about the hot bodies, are they similar to a redcat type brand?

I'm most likely going w/ either the hpi or assoc, again my lhs stocks both and would be getting it from them. They have a pretty good stock of parts for most major brands.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:48 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The MGT 8.0 is just a bigger MGT 4.6 designed around a simply enormous aircraft engine. It's brutish, it's huge, and from what I've seen on youtube it's a blast.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:28 PM
cummins driver

The MGT 8.0 is the same size as the 4.6 if i remember right, but it comes with a stronger transmission and of course, the larger engine. The engine from what im told sucks fuel, and is known to run hot, but the video's i have seen shows it has crazy torque. Id venture to say a 4.6 MGT probably has about the same acceleration as the 8.0, just less torque.

I have both, a savage and an MGT. The driveline on both trucks are pretty equal now that the new savage came out. The savage transmission is stronger and the MGT differentials are probably stronger. I feel like the savage is a stronger truck over all and will break less if you are jumping and beating it pretty good, however the Associated is much much easier to work on. You can swap the clutch bell, spur gear, and clutch shoes all with the engine in the truck on the Associated. The savage you have to remove the engine for all of that except the spur gear. The MGT handles a little better, but i feel the shocks on the savage are better. The MGT comes with a better steering servo, and the brakes on the MGT are also better than the savage.

The MGT is probably a better setup truck for most things right out of the box. The only thing i would really do is get rid of reverse unless you just really like it. However, the savage will take a little more of a beating and both trucks are going to be very similar in most aspects at the end of the day. Just pick the one you like the best and roll with it[8D] I couldnt pick, so i have both

Eric
Old 03-10-2011, 05:57 PM
saucySavy
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

The MGT 8.0 is the same size as the 4.6 if i remember right, but it comes with a stronger transmission and of course, the larger engine. The engine from what im told sucks fuel, and is known to run hot, but the video's i have seen shows it has crazy torque. Id venture to say a 4.6 MGT probably has about the same acceleration as the 8.0, just less torque.

I have both, a savage and an MGT. The driveline on both trucks are pretty equal now that the new savage came out. The savage transmission is stronger and the MGT differentials are probably stronger. I feel like the savage is a stronger truck over all and will break less if you are jumping and beating it pretty good, however the Associated is much much easier to work on. You can swap the clutch bell, spur gear, and clutch shoes all with the engine in the truck on the Associated. The savage you have to remove the engine for all of that except the spur gear. The MGT handles a little better, but i feel the shocks on the savage are better. The MGT comes with a better steering servo, and the brakes on the MGT are also better than the savage.

The MGT is probably a better setup truck for most things right out of the box. The only thing i would really do is get rid of reverse unless you just really like it. However, the savage will take a little more of a beating and both trucks are going to be very similar in most aspects at the end of the day. Just pick the one you like the best and roll with it[8D] I couldnt pick, so i have both

Eric
I agree. My good rc buddy had an MGTand that thing was pretty awesome and very torquey. I was looking at a savage and MGT when buying my first monter truck, and decided with the savage. The main thing that interested me was the TVP chassis, and thegreat reviews on how tough it is. Although the TVP is a great chasis IMO, it does make it more difficult to work on. But,It is also increadibly tought, and hardly ever breaks anything. I dont think ive spend morthan $100 totalfixing it over the pastfew summers, which is pretty impressive, judging by the wayI run it. Lastly with the savage, it is a fun truck toupgrade. It reminds me of imports, asit seems to have its own 'tuning scene'
As cummins driver said, the engine has to be removed for much of the maintenance, which is a pain. My friendalsohad good luck with his MGTaswell, and it turned out to be durable, butI stilldont think it could match the savage.
Both are great trucks, you decide
Old 03-10-2011, 06:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Allenmr

Thanks for the input guys, what about the Assoc mgt 8.0? I know it's a little more money but if it's worth it, I'd go for it. The savage 5.9 is out of my price range as is the losi. I'm ok w/ the wife getting mad, but don't want to get a divorce.

Which is easier to work on, hpi or assoc? I haven't heard too much about the hot bodies, are they similar to a redcat type brand?

I'm most likely going w/ either the hpi or assoc, again my lhs stocks both and would be getting it from them. They have a pretty good stock of parts for most major brands.

Hotbodies is owned by HPI
majority of HPI's newer European RTR vehicles were marketed originally as hotbodies models in the US
Old 03-10-2011, 06:26 PM
Dr. Blockhed

Great stuff everyone, the help is much appreciated. I'm still undecided but feel either way I can't go wrong. I check out my lhs and pick one.

Thanks again

Old 03-10-2011, 07:00 PM
cummins driver

No problem, and you are totally correct, cant go wrong with either one[8D]
Old 03-10-2011, 08:12 PM
bronx boy

hot bodies is the upscale part of hpi its like a chevy vs cadilac/hpi is hot bodies
Old 03-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Def go with the MGT.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:33 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of all the MT's I have run the one that stands out the most to me is the Savage Flux ! yes I said it, a Savage and a brushless one at that.........The truck handles very good for a Savage and from what I have seen quite reliable...I definitely enjoye the stick time I had with a 6S Flux... Not a cheap machine by any means, but if i was to have a MT that is the one I would have....