Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Got a Question & a Problem (gearboxes )

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Got a Question & a Problem (gearboxes )

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:31 PM
BIGMIG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Got a Question & a Problem (gearboxes )

Well i just got spare parts from Banana Hobby,some of them being Gearboxes.I now have (2) sets of plastic gearboxes.and (1 1/2 ) sets of metal gearboxes.
My problem being all of them with the exception of the (half set of metal gearboxes ),they are all long shaft boxes.Was going to use these to put back togeather a (Tiger) & (PZIII ) that I had used for parts tanks.These tanks require the short shaft gearbox. (DAMMM)

My question is if there is a source for the short drive shaft for these boxes.

I have only seen one place that had a few of these and the seller is in Australia.The problem is the cost to get them would be allmost what I paid for the stupid gearboxes or more.

The only other way around this would be to shorten the shaft (cut it off ) ...(re=drill the bolt hole and re=tap it)..Then file or grind the proper flat on the shaft for the sprocket to fit on.

Drilling and taping is no problem.........The big trick is getting the cut-off shaft at a true 90% and the flat on the shaft accurite.

Got any suggestions or help here.?

BIGMIG

P.S. I thought i might ask if mabe someone has the reverse problem.....you have the short shafts and need the long shafts.Mabe we can swap the shafts........would be easyer and cheaper to pull the shafts and mail them verses a whole gearbox set.?
Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM
strmnd54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Got a Question & a Problem (gearboxes )

I don't have short plastic shafts , but if you have short metal shafts you can run them with the plastic gears without problems ...I had to do that for my son's panzer III ...He was a little " heavy " on the throttle and the only plastic gear boxes I had were long shafts like yours ....Of course , if you don't have short metal shafts to spare ; It won't solve your problem ...
Old 03-25-2011, 06:51 PM
BIGMIG

Well i thank you for that reply. You answered one question i had wondered about,and that being if the metal and plastic drive shaft could me mixed and matched.They looked kind of the same to be but i did not measure them to see.Thanks again for the info..

BIGMIG
Old 03-25-2011, 07:27 PM
Bagheera

Is this what your looking for? let me know.

Cheers
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47372.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	282.5 KB
ID:	1584155  
Old 03-25-2011, 08:03 PM
BIGMIG

That looks like what i'm looking for.I need (6) of them.How many you got.?

BIGMIG
Old 03-26-2011, 12:30 PM
Bagheera

Bigman I sent a PM, I have 4 axles with metal gear and brass bushing.

A good soutce for parts is Matomart. Send a picture of what you need and they can get it.

Cheers
John
Old 03-26-2011, 01:05 PM
BIGMIG

I sent you a PM reply John.

BIGMIG
Old 03-26-2011, 02:46 PM
BIGMIG

Of the (3 1/2 ) gearbox sets i bought......One motor wire was broken of the motor solder post.

Half of the others only had a few strands of the wire soldered to the posts.Looks like they use an "axe" to strip the wires.If this is an example of what is coming out in these newer tanks it would be wise to open them up when you get them and figure on re-soldering a lot of the wires to prevent problems down the road.These are neat tanks,just a shame they don't do a better quality workmanship on putting them togeather.Doing it right is not that much harder.

BIGMIG
Old 03-26-2011, 04:11 PM
olfart

I've had wires fall off the motors, drove me nuts until I found the problem lol. Cold solder joints is the problem. In electronics I was taught to make sure the joint is mechanically secure as well. I use a solder-sucker to clean out the hole and redo, just try not to overheat the tabs too much.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:21 AM
BIGMIG

ORIGINAL: BIGMIG

I sent you a PM reply John.

BIGMIG

John i'll try sending you another PM..........Don't know what is going on here with my computer as my virus protector keeps wanting to block this web site.When i do get on it and try to post it will take me to some other web sites ??

BIGMIG
Old 03-27-2011, 11:27 AM
DirtyBird69

make sure to use silver solder...god knows what they use at the factory but I'm pretty confident that it's the cheapest stuff they could get their hands on. The advantages of silver solder is better conductivity as well as it holds up much better to vibrations and and what not.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:52 PM
BIGMIG

Well I had two tanks that I thought I would allready have had back togeather by now.Been over a month getting the parts gathered up to put them back togeather and this has been a total pain.Still don't have the proper gearboxes.Got long shafts instead of the short ones I needed.Rather than ding around loosing more time waiting and trying to track down short shafts,I'm just going to cut these off....stick them in the vice and mill a new flat.....then re-tap with american threads and get away from the metric thread.There will be no more waiting this way....

BIGMIG

Thanks for your offer John.
Old 03-27-2011, 04:54 PM
blitzkrieg65

Hey Guys & Bigmig,

Just send me an e-mail I have tons of plastic tracks, (newer models like the KV-1, Jagd / Panther G no, everything else yes) and a plastic gearbox's, I can ship small items cheap too, I just do not have the ability to put this stuff on my website right now.

Thanks,

Phil (the blitz)
Old 03-27-2011, 07:04 PM
BIGMIG

ORIGINAL: blitzkrieg65

Hey Guys & Bigmig,

Just send me an e-mail I have tons of plastic tracks, (newer models like the KV-1, Jagd / Panther G no, everything else yes) and a plastic gearbox's, I can ship small items cheap too, I just do not have the ability to put this stuff on my website right now.

Thanks,

Phil (the blitz)

Well thanks Phil,
That's nice to know and you are not that far away.Trying to "ween" myself off these tanks.LOL My house looks like a Chineese gift shop..........

BIGMIG