Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

I Think i made a mistake... Opinions needed...

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 03:01 PM
chonyc77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Think i made a mistake... Opinions needed...

Hey guys. You guys never steer me wrong, so i rather ask you guys than make the wrong purchase which i will later regret

I just bought a Tamiya TT-01E kit with the Ford Lightning body (which i love in real life). I also purchased the Mamba Max Pro 9000KV combo.

Im starting to doubt wheather this motor/ESC combo was the best choice for this car.... Is it a good ESC/motor.... What do you guys think? Will this car hold up good to this combo?

If you where buying this kit, would you have bought this ESC/motor combo for this kit??

The reason why i ask is because i could still return it and exchange it for another Castle combo. What would you guys get?

Thanks in advance...<br type="_moz" />
Old 04-20-2011, 03:32 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I Think i made a mistake... Opinions needed...

Castle makes great brushless setups, but 9000kv may be too much for that rc. 5700kv would have been better.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:38 PM
esavagenoobie

I agree, you are either;
1. going to have to gear supppper generously
or
2. sell it and buy a 5700
Old 04-20-2011, 03:42 PM
redfisher1974

well if your stuck with it you can adjust the torque control with a castle link and tone the bad boy down.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:53 PM
chonyc77

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

well if your stuck with it you can adjust the torque control with a castle link and tone the bad boy down.
Well im not really stuck with it just yet, and its the reason why im asking. I could always bring it back to hobby shop since its still un-opened and switch for something else. I do have the PC link which i use for my Savage Flux ESC adjustments. What would be the downsides if any to just toning it down with Castle link on PC? I use just lipos BTW. Would i get less run times with batteries since is 9000kv? If there is no downsides to toning down on link then i would just keep it.

What do you guys think?

Oh, another option i was maybe thinking of was to just throw in a VXL system i have from a Rustler i dont run anymore and its just sitting there. Would this be a good alternative? Return and use VXL?
<br type="_moz" />
Old 04-20-2011, 04:03 PM
redfisher1974

I would just bring it back and get a 5700 or 6900 kv and your good to go, the TT01 just wont hold up to the power and rpm's of the 9000kv. You can tone it down but it will still run hot as hell.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:45 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

ORIGINAL: chonyc77

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Well im not really stuck with it just yet, and its the reason why im asking. I could always bring it back to hobby shop since its still un-opened and switch for something else. I do have the PC link which i use for my Savage Flux ESC adjustments. What would be the downsides if any to just toning it down with Castle link on PC? I use just lipos BTW. Would i get less run times with batteries since is 9000kv? If there is no downsides to toning down on link then i would just keep it.

What do you guys think?

Oh, another option i was maybe thinking of was to just throw in a VXL system i have from a Rustler i dont run anymore and its just sitting there. Would this be a good alternative? Return and use VXL?
Please bring that 9,000Kv combo back for a refund.

I cannot believe the volume of people wanting drag BL motors in TCs.

Yes, drag BL motors work, but, you just cannot expect the car to act like you want it to, just like the instructions say, and expect it to act the same with that insane horsepower. My best suggestion is to listen to the guys that posted above, and start slow. When you get bored with the motor, refubish it and store it for a later car or sell it for the next step up.

<u>Also, please make sure that you beef up your drivetrain,</u> VERYIMPORTANT - because you are asking/ making your car go faster than it was designed to do.

Watching youtube videos on insane speed run records does not in any way make anyone an expert. Believe me. It took me a total of six months and a cost of easily over $300 in damages to make my own personal speed run on my TA05-R.

Please start out slow so you know your car. Trust me, all the settings that you make, even when you're ready for your 1st speed run, will make you butt pucker right up and make you geek out and your nerves will kick in with a 9000Kv motor; I made almost 82mph in mine but I felt like I was in front of a judge sentencing me to the gas chamber . . .

START SLOW, THEN WORK UP. And keep it simple!!! 8)

Old 04-20-2011, 05:06 PM
chonyc77

Sounds good, ill bring it back..<div>
</div><div>What do you guys think about me just putting a VXL system in there, which is just sitting home in a Rustler, that i no longer wish to run?</div><div>
</div><div>I also ordered the Tamiya DF03Ra rally kit (Subaru STI) and if i could use my VXL for the TT01 than i could switch the 9000kv for a 5700 for the DF03Ra.</div><div>
</div><div>So hows that sound? Throw the VXL ESC/motor in the TT01-E??
<div><span style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255); font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: x-large; "><b style="font-weight: bold; "> DF03Ra Kit[/b]</span></div><div>
</div></div>
Old 04-20-2011, 05:36 PM
Haddi Taha

good advice from dragnes7en.
I think you should put the vxl in the df03ra and the 5700kv in the tt01.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:40 PM
Haddi Taha

make sure you have these in your tt01 first
ball bearings
aluminium prop shaft and joint
aluminium motor mount
Turnbuckle tierod set
front aluminium uprights (if you hit walls alot)
Alloy bodied shock (nt crucial but will make the car handle alot better)
spare g parts set (to be safe)
spare pinion and spur gears (to be safe)
Motor Heatsink (keep heat down)
Old 04-20-2011, 05:43 PM
SIRCC

9000KV is definately too much power for the TT-01, you will grind your spur and pinion in no time at all, mamba max system were originally build for off road chassis, but can be use for bashing street version cars, adjust your throttle setting through your transmitter and work your way up to the speed the chassis can handle without grinding your pinion/spur.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:41 PM
chonyc77

ORIGINAL: SIRCC

9000KV is definately too much power for the TT-01, you will grind your spur and pinion in no time at all, mamba max system were originally build for off road chassis, but can be use for bashing street version cars, adjust your throttle setting through your transmitter and work your way up to the speed the chassis can handle without grinding your pinion/spur.
Good idea, and its what i do when i run 6 cells through my Savage Flux. I turn down the transmitter to about 70-80% which is still more than enough power for me and get really good run times while im at it.

As far as the parts to ger for TT01-E, I bought a set of full bearings with car (have a few other Tamiyas.. Lunchbox, etc and learned my lesson from them), the aluminum shaft, and will order the other stuff mentioned. Ill wait to receive the upgrades mentioned so i just build the kit once, the correct way.

Ok, so im going to put the VXL system in my Tamiya rally which is on its way and exchange the MMP 9000kv for a lesser kv set-up as you guys mentioned.

Some great advice here, thanks guys..

<br type="_moz" />
Old 04-20-2011, 08:40 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

ball bearings
<span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"><u>aluminium</u></span>prop shaft and joint
<span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"><u>aluminium</u></span> motor mount
Turnbuckle tierod set
front <span style="color: rgb(255, 0, 0);"><u>aluminium</u></span> uprights (if you hit walls alot)
Aluminum twists all to easy inside the driveline with a 7700Kv motor with a 2S Lipo, unless you install a replaceable plastic bushing in between that part and the aluminum AKA, outdrives, poly bushings, and so on . . . . .

Tamiya sells hardened black steel versions of the same name - bump me or PM me later b/c I've got a lot on my plate ROFL 8)

Old 04-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Haddi Taha

ORIGINAL: dragnse7en

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

ball bearings
<span style="color: rgb(255,0,0)"><u>aluminium</u></span>prop shaft and joint
<span style="color: rgb(255,0,0)"><u>aluminium</u></span> motor mount
Turnbuckle tierod set
front <span style="color: rgb(255,0,0)"><u>aluminium</u></span> uprights (if you hit walls alot)
Aluminum twists all to easy inside the driveline with a 7700Kv motor with a 2S Lipo, unless you install a replaceable plastic bushing in between that part and the aluminum AKA, outdrives, poly bushings, and so on . . . . .

Tamiya sells hardened black steel versions of the same name - bump me or PM me later b/c I've got a lot on my plate ROFL 8)

BUMP