Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

H-9 31% Sukhoi(old version) & Zenoah GT-80

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

H-9 31% Sukhoi(old version) & Zenoah GT-80

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:09 AM
flyerdave
My Feedback: (212)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H-9 31% Sukhoi(old version) & Zenoah GT-80

I have a chance to trade and get this plane at a good deal but I have reservations about the GT-80 engine. I have ni knowledge of this engine and very little about the airplane. I have done several searches on the sukhoi and have found some info, but not much about the engine. I know this is a fairly popular plane/engine combo and I would love to hear from someone who has it (Pros and Cons). thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: H-9 31% Sukhoi(old version) & Zenoah GT-80

The Zenoah GT-80 is an excellent powerplant and will fly the pane with authority. The 3D guys will chime in here shortly labeling it a dog and paper weight.

Your personal flying style dictates if you want to use the GT-80. IMAC pattern, sport aerobatics and some 3D are in the cards as well as higher RPM hovering. Treated right this engine will last a lifetime.

I have been flying the same plane off and on over five years with a MacMinarelli AvioMac 85cc magneto twin which is comparably to the GT-80 except optimum power is produced around 6500 rpm. The GT-80 is around 7500 up. My Sukhoi dry weight is 26.5 lbs. I do not fly all out 3D but this combination will hover and pull out cleanly. It handles IMAC with ease and anything else I want to scare myself with.

A friend had a GT-80 in a 32 lb. Giles 202. It would not hover but there was not anything else this combination would not do. He propped it for 8500 rpm static and this thing moved like a scalded Jackrabbit.

Zenoah engines are not the choice of the hot dog or brand name only crowd. But you will find them up front on numerous warbirds, big scale ships and giant scale racing due to their reliability, easy operation and durability. You never have to rebuild a Zenoah after one or two flying seasons, unless you are racing.

My .02.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Hover259
My Feedback: (2)

guys put up some pics of your planes, we have one also with a ZDZ80.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:30 PM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

ZDZ80 > GT 80

but if its a good trade just do it and fly you always have a chance later to chagne it up
Old 04-28-2011, 07:53 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

My first one had a GT80 on it and it was adequate to good. It realy came alive with a Bolly 24X10 CF prop. Butt ugly prop but man, it would haul the mail.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 AM
flygilmore

I would get it if it is that good of a deal and fly it. If the GT80 has the stock black can muffs, you can gain quite a bit of rpm's by changing them to a more free flowing set set. Search and you will find there are diff. manufacturers of mufflers that will help-well worth the added expense as the stock mufflers on the Zenoahs usually rob 400-800 rpm. Also, prop the GT80 for 7400+ on the ground as it is a high rpm engine and that is why the racers use them......it does not like to be lugged down. A good 24x10 is what I would recommend. Let us know if you get it and how things go!!