Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Setting Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2002, 09:25 PM
Wayne H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Idle

Hello-
I am happy with the high end setting. I would like to get it to idle a little slower, I don't have a tach. Do I need to richen or lean the low end for a slower idle? If I get to a certain point on the throttle where I think it is a good idle speed, it wants to quit. If I go up one click on the throttle trim, that is too fast. How can I make it stay running at the click on the trim that is right below the click on the trim that is too fast? Thanks for your help.
Old 04-15-2002, 11:11 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Setting Idle

Wayne,
Unfortunately without a tach on it i can't tell you if you're asking for more than the engine can give you. Do you know someone you can borrow a tach from?

Sincerely,
Mrs. AnnMarie Cross
Senior Manager, Proprietary Services and Support
Great Planes Model Distributors
[email protected]
www.greatplanes.com
www.bestrc.com
NO AUTORESPONDER
Old 04-18-2002, 04:21 PM
pettit
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default US41 lower idle speed

Let me jump in here, if I may. The idle "speed" is determined by the idle stop screw. The low speed needle valve sets the "low speed mixture". If you reset the needle, all you do is make the idle rich or lean, neither of which is what you want to do.

I usually remove the idle stop screw entirely and use the throttle servo to set the speed. This way, I can reduce the throttle to absolute zero and stop the engine with the transmitter.

You may also want to look at the throttle linkage geometry. If you are only moving the throttle servo a limited number of degrees, each step on the throttle stick is a large dimensional amount. This means each "click" is a big increase or decrease in throttle position, i. e. engine speed.

Here's how I set up the throttle linkage: On the carburetor, there's a strange shaped throttle arm. I add a piece of brass stock to it using a small nut and bolt and a bit of JB Weld. This will be your new throttle arm. Attach it so that the arm can move equal distances from the center to both idle and full speed. Make the arm about 3/4" long and drill a hole in the outer end for the clevis on the linkage already attached to the engine.

Using this geometry, you can have your throttle servo move 120 degrees from off to full and the idle speed resolution will increase dramatically.

There I go rambling again, but I hope this will help you to get your US41 running the way it should. BTW, My US41 is on a brand new 90" Gee Bee Model Y, ready to test fly in a week or so, right after Top Gun.