Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

FPE 2.4 info.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 01:06 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default FPE 2.4 info.

What prop are you running , and what rpm is it turning?
Old 04-16-2002, 04:49 AM
BAS
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FPE 2.4 info.

Run a Menz 20/10 standard not sure on rpms but a friend runs one on his laser and it flys it great and that is what fpe recommends
Old 04-16-2002, 01:41 PM
Westbender
My Feedback: (1)

Default FPE 2.4 info.

Are you guys running with the ignition upgrade?

The stock ignition (Reichtmuth) has fixed timing at about 18 degrees (I think). The upgrade is a syncro-spark unit from CH and a new prop hub (repositioned magnet). The upgrade gives you a smoother idle and about a 600-700 PRM increase at full throttle. Big difference! I upgraded my first 2.4 after I had been flying it. I was very happy with it, so I wasted no time ordering another engine with the upgrade already installed. If you want more info, contact Kurt at FPE or the gentleman at CH electronics (can't recall his name at the moment). You can get the upgrade from either.

By the way, I'm turning 7100-7200 (depending on conditions) with a 20X10 Mejzlik. I think it's the best power to weight ratio from a 2.4 gasser on the market. Add to that how sweet it handles and how reliable it is, it's definately worth the extra cost.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:14 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Default FPE

Unless Reichmuth has changed, he no longer makes ignitions..They were not fixed timing, but used two sensors to electronically control the advance..Now handled by D&B engines..
They wouldn't time it at 18 degrees on purpose.. ..if you have a 4 pin Dean plug to connect the sensor, two of the wires will be black and red..pull out the other two and reverse them in the plug..It could have been put together backwards...Be careful starting it this way...
You can read about Reichmuth ignitions on the D&B web site...
Old 04-16-2002, 11:10 PM
Westbender
My Feedback: (1)

Default FPE 2.4 info.

My apologies. The brand of ignition is "Ridge Machine", not Reichmuth. I was told that there is some connection between Ridge Machine and Reichmuth though. I believe it was the owner of CH Electronics that told me that. Maybe they took them over or something, I'm not sure. Sorry for the confusion on that.

However, the base version of the 2.4 has static timing at around 18 degrees. It is a simple, single sensor unit. I realize FPE produces the engine with this simple ignition to keep cost down, but I can't figure out why the upgrade is not very well known or advertised. It really makes for a completely different engine. Talk to CH Electronics or Kurt at FPE to get the skinny on the upgrade.