Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Tx programming

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 05:43 PM
knifemaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tx programming

I have several models with two aieleron servos. One of them lands very fast and I am interested in how to program and use "flaperons". I am using a Spektrum DX6i tx and AR500 Rx on this particular plane. All suggestions and instructions welcome.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:34 PM
pimmnz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Tx programming

Best find out why it lands real fast first...It will be one of two things, either the wrong approach (!) to landing the thing, or the wing loading is high and the drag low. Either way flaperons won't help much. The reasons are many and expounded upon at length in other threads in this forum. To answer your question with a bit of positive input we need more info, what it is, wing area and section, AUW etc.
Evan, WB #12.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:04 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Noe heavy?
Old 06-19-2011, 03:51 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

What model? If its tip ailerons then dont bother you'll just induce wash-in and make your chances of stalling worse.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:05 AM
knifemaker

Thanks for the input. The model is a Parkzone Extra 300, 2.2lbs with full strip aeilerons. It is balanced neutral and has a tendency to glide long distances. I have actually parked it at about 300 ft into the wind and fiddled with the radio and had it stay where parked. Where I fly at home is pretty tight with very little approach path and a 20 x 150 grass strip to land on. Where I fly in Texas, there is much more room to roll out so it isn't much of a problen there. Would an aft CG help?
Old 06-19-2011, 07:32 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

If your radio has the capability you can set up a landing mode to bring the ailerons UP about 1/8-3/16 inch. This will fool the airplane to behave like it has a slightly heavier wing loading and will not glide on final as much.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:26 AM
landeck
My Feedback: (1)

A nose heavy condition can cause excessive speed on landing but since you say the plane tends to float on landing it is probably not that. Flaperons can cause tip stalls on landing. What I have done is used spoilerons. With spoilerons the ailerons reflex up and a little down elevator is mixed in to keep the plane level. By reflexing the ailerons up you are inducing wash out which helps avoid a tip stall. Spoilerons decrease lift and increase drag making it easier to land a fast plane. Check to see if you have a spoileron function (air brake function is the same thing) on your transmitter. Also you will need to have your aileron servos on separate channels.

Bruce
Old 06-19-2011, 10:33 AM
speedracerntrixie

ORIGINAL: landeck

A nose heavy condition can cause excessive speed on landing but since you say the plane tends to float on landing it is probably not that. Flaperons can cause tip stalls on landing. What I have done is used spoilerons. With spoilerons the ailerons reflex up and a little down elevator is mixed in to keep the plane level. By reflexing the ailerons up you are inducing wash out which helps avoid a tip stall. Spoilerons decrease lift and increase drag making it easier to land a fast plane. Check to see if you have a spoileron function (air brake function is the same thing) on your transmitter. Also you will need to have your aileron servos on separate channels.

Bruce

You sure about that?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 AM
landeck

speedracerntrixie, each plane is different. I find a little down is required but what I do is try it at high altitude and low speed with no down elevator and see what happens. It is then trial and error to get it just right, similar to the process of setting up flaps.

Bruce
Old 06-19-2011, 10:56 AM
speedracerntrixie

About 80% of pattern pilots, myself included run spoilerons on landing mode as most 2M pattern airplanes are quite lightly loaded. Everyone doing this mixes in a tad of up elevator or none at all as the airplane tends to pitch nose down when the ailerons are reflexed up.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:49 AM
landeck

speedracerntrixie, that may well be for pattern planes and I believe you. I have tried it on two planes, Escapade 40 and a Pulse XT 60 where a tad of down was needed. Tomorrow, if the weather is good, I am going to be trying it for the first time on an Escapade 61. I am starting off with no elevator down mix and will adjust up or down elevator mix as needed. I will get back to you with the results. I have flaps on a few of my planes ( GP Cherokee, BH T-28 Trojan, H9 Piper Pawnee, and a GP RV-4 quarter scale) and have found that it is the plane the definds the amount and direction of elevator mix needed. Some require none, some a tad of up or down.

Bruce
Old 06-19-2011, 05:07 PM
knifemaker

Thanks again for the input. I find that I can programm in "spoilerons" and mix in elevator with my radio. I think I will try them instead of "flaperons" as I have had experience with tipstall while flying my first plane, a parkzone J-3 Cub. They (tipstalls) are no fun. I also fly electric powered sailplanes and will try "spoilerons" on my 4 channel bird.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:59 PM
knifemaker

[:@]I just spent 45 min. in the shop programming for "spoilerons". The process worked great on a PA-18 Cub that I just completed. It has one of the Orange Rx that is compatible with Spektrum. With happy heart, I opened up the Extra and removed the "Y" cable from the ailerons, plugged the starboard into AILE and the port into what should be AUX1. This, however, is a Spektrum AR500 Rx and it doesn't have AUX1 it has another AILE. When the FLAP switch was thrown, the ailerons jumped to a full deflection in what would initiate a hard rolling move. Not good. The moral of this story is, get another Rx that has AUX1. I haven't maidened the PA-18 yet so I don't want the spoiler or flap. The PA-18 has barn door ailerons and one or your posts suggested not using Flaperons or spoilerons for these. Cubs really don't require flaps except for "bush" flying (STOL). Looks like I will be ordering from Hobby King again.