Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Gilbert .07

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 03:46 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gilbert .07

Has anyone out there run a Gilbert .07? How are they for power? I have 4 of the .11’s and they are OK for small models with a 24” wing. GCB, I’ll bet you have run your fair share of the Gilbert engines. They remind me of the Fox .099 rocket with the piston port induction. What props should I use on the .07?
Old 02-23-2010, 06:51 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Gilbert .07

ORIGINAL: controlliner
Has anyone out there run a Gilbert .07? How are they for power? I have 4 of the .11’s and they are OK for small models with a 24” wing. GCB, I’ll bet you have run your fair share of the Gilbert engines. They remind me of the Fox .099 rocket with the piston port induction. What props should I use on the .07?
Yup! I run a 6x3 prop on the Gilbert .07. It has the power of a good .049. With the side porting it will start either direction like a reedie. Two of the engines below have spring starters so it will start the correct direction. The top one with no thrust washer or prop nut is an .11.

Sure keeps the needle away from the prop.

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29166.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	1385372  
Old 02-24-2010, 12:00 AM
controlliner

Thank you George, I knew you'd come through for me . I love my .11's. I just got a new .07 from the *bay for $15 and I am excited. It has the spring starter. I wonder who made these engines for the Gilbert line, My guess is Fox or Cameron. Incidently, did you know that the thrust washer for the Fox .15 X fits the Gilbert .11?
Old 02-27-2010, 03:06 PM
icerinkdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere that Duke Fox designed the Gilbert engines... I dont know that is accurate but if parts of Fox engines fit then that seems to confirm the story. Duke was not one to waste much (which lead to the sport 36 engines in the 70s that shared parts with the early combat motors).
Bob Furr
Omaha Orbiting Eagles
Old 03-03-2010, 08:35 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Ah, Yes. But how much did you have to pay for it?

I remember in the 1960's that AC Gilbert glow engines were going normally for $4.95 each, but then when they got ripped out of poor selling controliners, they went down to about $1.95 each.

Wm.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Bill Adair

George,

If I may ask, where did you get the mufflers for your .074 Gilbert engines, and are those the one's supplied with the engines?

I was expecting to see side pipes like the 11 engines had.

What tank arrangements do you use for c/l flying? My Gilbert engines flood too easily, if the top of the tank is not located below the spraybar.

Thanks pal,

Bill
Old 05-17-2010, 11:13 PM
icerinkdad

If the engine is flooding on the ground with the tank at the right height to run well in the air try using a "bulldog" clip like the combat guys do to shut off the fuel line until you are ready to start the engine.
Bob
Old 05-18-2010, 01:16 AM
Bill Adair

Bob,

Now why didn't I think of that?

I've seen those clips used by our club combat guys, so I'll give it a try next time out.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Bill
Old 05-18-2010, 11:41 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bill Adair

George,

If I may ask, where did you get the mufflers for your .074 Gilbert engines, and are those the one's supplied with the engines?

I was expecting to see side pipes like the 11 engines had.

What tank arrangements do you use for c/l flying? My Gilbert engines flood too easily, if the top of the tank is not located below the spraybar.

Thanks pal,

Bill
Bill,

My .07's with starters were ripped out of RTF pushers. I bought the ones without starters from Polks. They came unassembled in plastic bags with those mufflers included. I have seen the .11's with pipes but have no idea if they came on .07's.

I got my .11 at a garage sale a few blocks from me. It had no mufflers nor pipes, and the thrust washer and nut were missing. As controlliner said, the thrust washer and prop nut for the Fox .15X fit the Gilbert .11, and that's what I used the one time I ran the .11. Afterward, I returned those parts to the Fox.

I'm afraid the extent of running the .07's is to break them in on a bench. My intention was to use them for simple planes to teach kids to fly. I may still do that if I can find kids that are interested in flying. [8D]

I would mount the tank below the needle. It should draw fuel from the tank on just a prime without choking. It's been years since I ran them but I seem to remember good fuel draw.

George
Old 05-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Bill Adair

George,

Sorry, I missed your reply. Never got an email to notify me of a new message in this thread, and I don't check back here every day.

Anyway, thanks for the info on the 074 mufflers. Evidently those without rearward facing pipes were only used on pusher airplanes, because the 074 engines normally came with smaller versions of the 11 mufflers. I've just ordered some 074 mufflers from Steve Brown, but he may be out of them by now. He only found ten pairs, and I bought five pairs for myself and friends in my club who own those smaller engines.

Did you see my post in another thread about the 074 glow head problems we have found? They have not aged well like the 11 heads, probably due to a higher Zinc content in the castings, and that leads to deterioration of the element welds by galvanic action. A friend blew all four of his while running in one engine, and I blew the first one on mine within a couple of runs. The second head however is still going strong after more than a dozen runs.

A word of caution on the 074 heads. They burn out almost immediately if using a power panel, with the current set in the green zone!!!!

After being warned by my friend, I adjusted my power panel while looking at the element of a spare glow head. Turns out my power panel (Hobbico) produced a healthy glow just a hair above the 1 amp reading on the dial. My NiCad glow igniter works just fine, but I would not use dry or wet cells for the 074 glow heads.

Yes, the 074 is an easy starter with only an intake prime, but mine was rather finicky on a 5X3 prop. When I switch to a 6X3, if was a one flip starter most of the time.

I'm running both size Gilberts on 10% nitro, and 25% Castor for break-in, and they get stronger with every run. Should look really neat in a WWI style model, with upright engine.

Bill
Old 06-21-2011, 03:49 AM
tyro185

instructions for the gilberts
Old 06-21-2011, 03:53 AM
tyro185

try again
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version