Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Robinson Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 03:53 AM
OIF/OEFrc13

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Robinson Racing

So I'm about a gallon in on my new-ish slayer pro and I stripped the spur gear. I'm going to pick up another plastic one for now but I was thinking about getting the robinson racing steel one. Is this recommended or am I just going to be stripping the other gears now?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:33 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Robinson Racing

Whenever you replace a weak link, the damage will be transferred to the next weakest component. It's always a game of keeping the weak link somewhere which is cheap to replace, easy to source, and easy to work on. Makes me laugh all these off road guys who put metal arms on their trucks, and then wonder why its the bulkheads that break. lol.

To be honest, I would keep replacing weak gears with steel replacements to make the drivetrain bullet proof. Eventually you'll be stripping wheel hexes, which is easily solved with the pin mod.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:59 AM
OIF/OEFrc13

Thanks, honestly I think I will keep the spur gear as the "weak link" and stick with the plastic ones.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:14 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I replaced my Savage plastic spur with a Robinson. It was a waste of money. As you can see, the spur gear teeth chipped from small pebbles, and the CB teeth wore from the mesh being too tight.

I was confused about the mesh problem at first as I knew I had set the mesh correctly. A little investigation and I found I had a cracked motor mounting plate. When the engine torques hard, the two gears come toghter due to the cracked plate. Put in a new plate, went back to plastic gears, and havn't had a problem since.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:30 PM
ArcticCatRider
My Feedback: (6)

Why did it strip? Because the teeth began to break, or because something loosened up and wore away?

The steel gears are great for strength, but wear out much quicker than the nylon ones. Obviously, too much or too little "backlash" will result in worn out and/or damaged gears. The plastic is a little more tolerant of this.

The clutch bell will last longer if you use plastic gears. I would figure out why it stripped before I bought anything
Old 06-27-2011, 05:13 PM
OIF/OEFrc13

Well, the clutch bell on the slayer pro is steel, and the spur gear is plastic. It looks to me like the spur gear heated up and then the metal clutch bell just tore right through the teeth. I got another plastic spur gear and installed it. It took a gallon of fuel for that to happen so I figure its acceptable.